• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

what bushing for 6.5 x 47 Lapua necked down to 6mm

scudzuki

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 1, 2012
Philadelphia suburbs
I have 300 6.5 x 47 Lapua cases on the way.
I thought the Hornady 6 x 47 Lapua die I ordered was a conventional die but upon closer examination it's a bushing die.
I imagine anyone shooting 6 x 47 L is using 6.5 x brass necked down.
If any of you are using a bushing die, what bushing gives you .002" neck tension with no neck turning?
I'd like to get a few bushings on the way so maybe I can shoot next weekend.
Also, will Redding bushings fit a Hornady die?

Thanks.

Last edited:
When necking down cases a standard FL sizing die should be used so the neck is sized down to the shoulder junction. Bushings will not size the full length of the neck. Once necked down a bushing die can be used.

When necking down cases a standard FL sizing die should be used so the neck is sized down to the shoulder junction. Bushings will not size the full length of the neck. Once necked down a bushing die can be used.

I'm aware.
This is why I machine the bushing to match its radius major diameter to the opening in the die.
Eliminates the portion of the neck not normally resized by a bushing die.

just a piece of advice i developed from going through this for a while. if you have a 6.5x47 rifle, fire your intended brass for the 6x47 in it first then neck it down. what i found doing this is the case is blown out at the shoulder and some little bit in the body providing full case/shoulder support during the neck down process. this completely alleviates the crooked necks/mouth along with the bell at the case mouth when necking down new brass. you really dont even need to fire it in to make them formed in your 6. load and go and they will be the same as if they were fired in your 6 to start. i do use a forster FL die when doing this as well.

KSE, I appreciate the advice, but I had already necked down 300 brand new cases.
I used a Hornady Match bushing die and a Redding .268 bushing (which worked out to .002+ neck tension)
I lubed the cases with a slightly heaver than normal spray coat of Hornady one shot lube.
I installed the Redding bushing with the smaller radiused edge towards the shoulder of the brass.
The major diameter of the radius was still .020" larger than the hole where the shoulder in the die ends, though.
I was considering facing down the bushing until the major diameter of the radius matched the hole in the die to minimize the portion of the neck that does not get necked down, but I resized a case without modifying the bushing (or bumping the shoulder) and it chambered fine. That and the fact that the neck has a tremendous amount of bearing surface led me to just process the other 299 cases, which ran like butter. Not a single mishap.
I ran 50 rounds today, 40 at 38 gr. RL16 and then one each incrementing up to 41 in .3 gr steps. No increase in bolt lift effort, no swipe marks, primers still had radii in the corners, slight increase in primer cratering, and 3215 FPS 105 gr Hornady Match HPBT out of a 27" barrel.
Next range trip, an OCW.

Last edited: