• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

what calib. for long range work with a shrt brl.

jephs422

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Putting together another build and I'm looking for something to shoot/hunt out to 1500 and beyond, but I'd like to keep the barrel no longer than 18" I don't care if it's a long or short action,and I don't mind having to do anything funky to reload.

Is this doable?

Re: what calib. for long range work with a shrt brl.

Short answer, if you ask me, no. Even 20" in something like a .338LM is pretty well limited to 1200 or so, and the muzzle blast is pretty impressive.

Why on Earth anyone wants to hunt something with more than 2 legs at ranges over 400 yards is beyond me. I mean, you do still have to walk over there to pick it up, right? Why not get close enough to make a positive kill shot? Don' tbarg about how far you were when you shot, brag about how CLOSE you got. Shooting an antelope at 50 yards is a lot more impressive than shooting one at 900. But I digress.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CoryT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Short answer, if you ask me, no. Even 20" in something like a .338LM is pretty well limited to 1200 or so, and the muzzle blast is pretty impressive.

Why on Earth anyone wants to hunt something with more than 2 legs at ranges over 400 yards is beyond me. I mean, you do still have to walk over there to pick it up, right? Why not get close enough to make a positive kill shot? Don' tbarg about how far you were when you shot, brag about how CLOSE you got. Shooting an antelope at 50 yards is a lot more impressive than shooting one at 900. But I digress. </div></div>

Amen, Brother!!!!

It is important to me to know that I can make a shot at ELR but it is also important to know I can get closer.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CoryT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Short answer, if you ask me, no. Even 20" in something like a .338LM is pretty well limited to 1200 or so, and the muzzle blast is pretty impressive.

Why on Earth anyone wants to hunt something with more than 2 legs at ranges over 400 yards is beyond me. I mean, you do still have to walk over there to pick it up, right? Why not get close enough to make a positive kill shot? Don' tbarg about how far you were when you shot, brag about how CLOSE you got. Shooting an antelope at 50 yards is a lot more impressive than shooting one at 900. But I digress. </div></div>

Guess I should have been a little more specific. This is a long range project, however I want a caliber that I can load that has a decent amount of readily available pills for hunting when I decide to take it out. I won't be hunting at 1500 yards (I already have that covered)

But thanks for the morality lesson. I bow hunt, and rifle hunt. I don't brag about how far I killed something or how close.

I have a 20" .338LM already. it doesn't work for me in a 18" barrel or I'd just chop another 2" off.

300wm in 18" should get the 208 pills up to around 2750 that should get you out to around 1400. The 215 hybrid should get you out to 1500 supersonic if the 208 isn't transitioning well.

you could push a 7wsm pretty good too. but you will tear through barrels.

18" to 1500 is a tall order.

If compactness is critical, check out DTA arms. Bullpup designs, saves roughly 12" overall length. 26" bbl for the length of a 16" traditional rifle.

What I'm attempting to do (poorly I might add) is to minimize ALL of my weapon systems down to one familiar platform. So far I am running most of my weapons with the same configuration. I find that i create issues when I switch from a manners to a McMillan to a aics, etc. I want to maintain a compact system with the same stock I am comfortable with. I love the dta's but its just not for me.

I'd take a close look at bullets with high BC numbers. 300gr Berger .338", 230gr Berger .308", etc, and see how fast you need to drive them to hold 1200 fps or so at 1500 yards.

Crunching some numbers on Quickload/Quicktarget, it looks like an 18" 30-06, or 338WinMag could do it at my locality 4500' ASL. MVs would be around 2450-2500 fps or so. Sea-level is another matter.

Obviously the bigger cases would get some more speed, but muzzle blast might be a bit fierce.

Something 7mm with 162-180gr would be in the running too. 2650-2750 fps MV. They would probably hold a bit more speed out at 1500, but a smaller bullet is sometimes harder to see hit way out there.

I guess that makes a lot of sense. I'll take a look at what bullet i want to shoot first, then figure out a way to push it. I really like the 7mm stuff, but I'd really like to see good life out of the barrel too.

I know 1500 out of a 18" barrel is a lot to ask, but I'm sure it's not impossible. I'm okay with using a smaller bullet too.

One of my recent goals for a build was; 1000ft-lbs @ 1000y out of an 18" barrel with a match/hunting bullet. All my research landed me at the 300wm - my criteria wasn't the same as yours, but close. 2700 should be no problem for an 18" 300wm. I'm throwing 208s out of my 17" .308 @ 2500fps (got it up to 2600 but not as accurate) and I don't think the 300wm will require RL17 to do it. The 208 was preferred over the 215/230, because of hunting and price.

tumblr_md128sZh1f1rhsh6ho1_500.jpg

The next option is to jump up to .338LM if you can afford to shoot it. I don't think the 7mm can hang with the big 30s once you drop down to 18", smaller bore = greater diminishing returns @ shorter barrel lengths.

As for shooting out to 1500y and beyond; are you wanting a round that stays supersonic to that distance, or a round that can just make hits at those distances? I haven't heard that the 208 transitions erratically, so hits beyond it's supersonic range should be manageable.

I'm okay with it not staying supersonic. I fully plan on loading more than one type of ammo for this setup, so one particular "do all" bullet is not necessary. I already shoot a .338LM, and you are right, I honestly can't afford to shot it LOL. If I can get good accuracy out of bullet out to 1500 yards and good performance on game at 1000 I will be happy and probably sell the .338LM.

It looks like the .300WM might be the way for me to go, or at least get me pretty close.

I looked at the 30-06 originally, but I didn't think it would push it fast enough.