• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What caliber next?

quikcolin

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Dec 16, 2018
London, Ontario
Hey guys,

im looking to add a heavy barrel benchrest precision rifle to my collection. I’m unsure of what caliber to choose?

I don’t hunt. I use my rifles exclusively for benchrest paper punching. I’ve become obsessed with tight groups. I currently have a Tikka T3x Stainless Varmint in .223, and a T3x CTR 24” in 6.5 Creedmoor. I love them both. But what caliber should I get next? I’ve considered 22-250, but wonder if it’s too similar to the .223?

I like the thought of a thick, heavy barrel, quality rifle.

thx,

How proficient are you at reloading? 6br, 22br, 6ppc are the easy choices, just dont plan on finding much factory ammo for it.

Reactions: kthomas
My vote is 6BR also! Easy on barrels, accurate with great velocities. You already have a 223 Rem. and a .22-250 is going to be hard on the barrel compared to the 223 Rem.

I guess the other question that should be asked is what action/rifle are you going to build on?

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels

The next for me is another 6.5 creedmoor I love the round and it's as close to cheating the wind as you can get

I love the 6.5CM also but if he is just going to be shooting out to 300m.....he will be burning less powder, have less recoil etc...the 6.5 won’t give him anything extra per say but that being said.....it won’t hurt him either!:)

Thanks guys! sounds like a 6BR should be on the hit list. I forgot to mention I reload everything I shoot. It’s an obsession, goes along well with my OCD haha

Wait.... so how do you go about buying a 6BR? Are these custom? Not a factory caliber, is it?
There are some limited factory options around but it’s not the type of mass produced factory option that you can get off the shelf from the big box outdoor store down the street. It’s a boutique chambering.

.22lr, no joke...
Got 100y? 300y? Obsessed with groups? You'll be laughing all the way down the rabbit hole!

The 22lr is certainly fun at those distances. I was bored shooting 6-700 yards at the ranges I go to so I got into this recently, didn't realize how much fun this is and certainly challenging at 300 yards on a windy day.

Reactions: quikcolin