• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What caliber rifle for up to 600 and for 1000yards

Opiy

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
I am wondering what caliber gun to get for range of up to 600yards? I prefer something not .308. Would something like .270, .270 WSM, 300 Win, or .300 WSM do good? I want it in a caliber a little more readily a available also. I plan to be able to reload it.

Now for 600 to 1,000 yards I was thinking .338 Lapua but I am not very knowledgable about rifle rounds so I am open to all opinions and suggestions.

These would be primarily used for target shooting but if I were to hunt they could the task.

Thanks
Larry

Re: What caliber rifle for up to 600 and for 1000yards

A great caliber for flat shooting long range target competition is the 6.5x47 Lapua. It does not waste powder which equals less money spent every time you pull the trigger. Most F-Class shooters around the world either use this cartridge or the 6.5x 284. You will get right around 2800 FPS.

Ian A. Kelbly

Any of those calibers listed would be fine. I would lean towards the 300WM. Easy to reload, various factory ammo is available, and shoots very well. A 270 Win is also capable, but not as popular for long range.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">7WSM </div></div>

+1 Or the 7mmRM.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 7mmRM</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">7WSM </div></div>

+1 Or the 7mmRM.</div></div>

+1 on the 7mm RM!!!

Opiy,

It's not necessary to have a 338L for 600 to 1000 yard use.Most people here on the hide would call it overkill for those distances.338L is a capable 2000 yard cartridge.Also it is much more expensive to buy ammo and components for.

I'd be looking at 6x47L,6.5x47L or 284 win for out to 1000 yards.Heaviest bullets for all cals for the high BC.6.5 Creemoor would be a great choice as good factory ammo is available in case you decide later that reloading is not for you.

Steve

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 7mmRM</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">7WSM </div></div>

+1 Or the 7mmRM. </div></div>

1+ for 7 mm WSM. It is very capable well over 1000 yards. It will be my next project. They offer high BC bullets for targets. However, any of the cartridges mentioned in the original post will do the trick to 1000 yards.

I would not go with the 338 LM for distances from 600 - 1000 yards for the simple reason of COST. If you want it because you WANT one, then it's okay. Now NEEDING it for that distance is another story.

An alternative to the 7 mm WSM, would be 300 WM, IMO, readily available components for reloading. If loaded with the right bullets, the 300 Win Mag is capable more than the usual 1200 yards (at least for target purposes).

I have the 300 win mag and 338 LM. I shoot more with the 300 win mag than the 338 LM, because of the cost. Good luck with your selection.

Ok what is the difference between the 300 Win and a WSM? I am curious the pros and cons of either. Maybe I can learn something that has been a curious question of mine on the short mags.

There are two schools of thought on the 30 cal when it comes to the standard 300 win mag vs. 300 WSM. There are plenty of information on the two cartridges regarding differences and similarities. Bottom line is the 300 win mag permits you to use longer and heavier bullets of the 30 cal family. This will give the higher BCs. I am talking about bullets over 200 grains in weight. The 300 win mag also gives you a slight edge in velocity comparing to the WSM, but that's another story. I am sure some handloaders here will beg to differ on that notion. It's all about how much steroid you want to inject into your round. With the WSM case, because of its length, you sacrify the volume when you try to seat longer bullets. Further, it OAL may be a limiting step. You also need to have the chamber throated specially for the longer bullets, if possible. All those reasons, lead me to choose the 300 win mag over the 300 WSM. The argument of the WSM is that it's a bit more accurate than the belted case of the 300 win mag. I am not sure if I can appreciate that with my shooting ability.

Now, when you are talking about the 7 mm, then it's a different story.

+1 on the 7mm WSM as well.

Shooting the Berger 180 on calm days it will get you way past 1000yds. As stated you dont need a .338 Lapua for 1000yd work. Hell theres some now with the newer high BC 80gr bullets shooting 1000yds with a .223 remington.

I would say 1500yds is easily do-able on a calm day with a 7mm WSM at least im gonna try it out in the future. At 950 yds with 6.8mills & a 3-5mph wind my bullet was drifting 6" left of the 20" target I had set up. 2nd shot was right on the nose.

And you got on my case for sarcasm...
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steve123</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd be looking at 6x47L,6.5x47L or 284 win for out to 1000 yards.Heaviest bullets for all cals for the high BC.6.5 Creemoor would be a great choice as good factory ammo is available in case you decide later that reloading is not for you.

Steve </div></div>

Those are all excellent caliber choices! And reloading those calibers is a heck of a lot cheaper than reloading any magnum calibers!

my 2 cents.

You can throw in a .243 as well.... or it might be easier to list the cartridges that DON"T fit those OP requirements.

So it seems a toss up between a 7MM WSM and 300 WM. Only reason right now I don't choose one of the 6.5s is because when I am walking down an isle of a local store looking at bullets or reloading stuff I don't to often see a box of 6.5x284 or some of the others listed above. I have seen the 300 WMs and not positive on the 7MM but I am sure they are there.

Just curious though. Can you reload on a Dillon 550B a 300 WM and also a 300 Weatherby Mag on the same dies and conversion kit? Anyone know? This would be a big bonus for the 300 WM if so.

I think you will find most any professional will say 7wsm. They are very pleasureable to shoot with a thruster type muzzle brake. You will need hearing protecton but you should have it anyway. Also i like the 300 wsm also, same setup.

Opiy,

The 300WM and 300 Weatherby are different cases and require each their own dies.

Yes,you can load both those cartridges on a 550.They use the same shell plate.

6.5 cal is one of the most popular.I've found it best not to depend on local dealers for my reloading components because they usually don't carry the best long range bullets.The best thing to do is to order from a bigger outfit.Saves a bunch of money.Remember that with the big 30's in a medium weight gun without a muzzle brake that recoil is going to become an issue.

Steve

one caliber of ammo you should be able to find anywhere is .243 win. Awesome wind cutting capabilities, very little drop, significantly less recoil than any of the magnums, and much cheaper to load. Did I say that ammo is available anywhere? Excellent cartridge that will be around forever. But if you're a recoil lover, go BIG! Grab the biggest, meanest caliber you can find and have a "blast"
laugh.gif

.300 Win Mag

Case capacity
Bigger rounds-higher BC
More popular factory loads
Ammo anywhere
Better Huntin rounds
Use round for everything
Cheap reloading

A 300 Win mag just can't shoot the high BC bullets as fast as the 7mm mags.

The 6mm and 7mm's would be my choice.

Re: What caliber rifle for up to 600 and for 1000y

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steve123</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Opiy,

6.5 Creemoor would be a great choice as good factory ammo is available in case you decide later that reloading is not for you.

Steve </div></div>

fo' sho'

.260 remington seems to be popular.

I've got a 300wm and I like a 7mmRM. Neither truly trumps the other except for a small margin on paper. I have no trouble running 210's over 3000. You'll be happy with either one, as they both will get it done at 1000yds. Give a good look at a 6mm though. A .243 for factory loads or my favorite a 6x47L if you don't mind handloading.

Of all calbiers below a .300 win mag, there is nothing compares when a .300 win mag hit an elk KOOOOWWWWWHHHHHAAAAPPPPPPPOOOO!!!!!. Others guys with lesser calbiers says, "Gee. I getting me a .300 win mag "!

The game you play should narrow down your choices. The 6mm (6br, 6 dasher, and 6 brx) has been dominating the 600yd competitions (several 1000 yard records with these as well) the last couple years but I sure would not shoot my elk with it.

You do not see a lot of the 7's in the longe range bench game but they sure will do it. For inherent accuracy, I stick with the 30's specifically the 300wm. I have a bench heavy gun in 300wm and love it so i built 2 for big game mainly because I was already set up for that case.

My buddy shoot a 300 Ackley based off a weatherby case and that has been working very well for him.

As for the 300wsm, I am just now thinking of building one for a long range varmint gun,,, 125's at 3900
grin.gif

Availability of good brass makes a difference to me and Lapua just recently dropped their 300wm brass. Norma is good but i prefer Lapua.

Sorry, lot of rant with no real straight answer. If you go with a magnum bolt face, you can always make a switch barrel.

I am fairly sure I won't get into pure bench rest shooting. I am thinking of a tactical style rifle that can shoot from 100-600y but can reach out to 1,000y if the option is available to me at a range.

My vote is either 260AI or 243AI...I'm having a hard time deciding between the two myself. Let us know what you pick and how the build goes.

I keep leaning to the 7mm wsm. I havebonly seen Winchester brass for it though. I am considering a surgeon WSM action.

I have gone through the same deal a couple of times.

First you need a .308, everybody should have one and it will meet your goals.

I also have

.338 shooting 250 Scenar
7mmWSM shooting 175 SMK
.243 shooting 115 berger.

Crazy thing is the last three have near identical balistic (external) so for paper there is little to choose at up to 1000.

All are excellent and I also think that the .243 is an extremely underated cartridge.

Ewen

6.5-284. i have seen it drop a bull at 925yds (lasered) with one shot. Also are very accurate, especially with 168 gr bergers. just a fun round that's a bit different but quickly becoming not so different.

How does the .260 rate for a long range cartridge? I have been hearing that it is a great little round at 6-700 yards but have not heard anything past that.

Mac

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bowstryder</div><div class="ubbcode-body">6.5-284. i have seen it drop a bull at 925yds (lasered) with one shot. Also are very accurate, especially with 168 gr bergers. just a fun round that's a bit different but quickly becoming not so different. </div></div>

Berger makes a 168gr 6.5mm bullet? Now that would be news to me and just about everyone else....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: scottishtornado</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How does the .260 rate for a long range cartridge? I have been hearing that it is a great little round at 6-700 yards but have not heard anything past that.

Mac </div></div>

Mac, it is a great round and easily gets to 1,000 yards and beyond. My longest hit was 1,231 yards. Many here use the .260.

Everyone needs the basic calibers, 22lr, 9mm, 45, 223, 308, 338 and 50 if you don't have those fill in the gaps.