• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What caliber upper?

lostriverproductions

Private
Minuteman
Jun 4, 2009
Three Rivers MI
OK so here's my dilema. I'm wanting to build a new AR 15. But not in .223/5.56. I have a Model 788 in .223 a 600 in .222 and a savage model 10 predator in .223 so I don't need another. This will be used for killing paper varmits and maybe deer and antelope. So I was thinking a .243wssm from dtec or olimpic arms or a 6mm turbo 40? If I member right both have similar balistics. So what would you go with?

Re: What caliber upper?

I like the 6mm turbo. Velocity is there and is super accurate.I'd also check the plain 6mmBR.

6.5 Grendel only if you reload, if not I would say 6.8 SPC. From my experience I would stay away from any WSSM caliber.

ideally i plan on staying with something that can be mag fed and not pushed into the lands to make accurate

Personally, I would lean towards the 6.8 in a spec-2 chamber. Stag makes a very nice upper with a match grade barrel that supposedly is very accurate. SSA makes some excellent ammo, some of it intended for 1-10 twist spec 2 chambers (stag is 1-11) including an 85 grain barnes at 3000 fps+ from a 16" barrel.
The grendle is a fine cartridge but very limited in production and very few uppers available for it.

The 6mm TC/U (or 6x45) would be an attractive option, you can get some very respectable velocities with an 85 grain 6mm bullet. That, of course, would stricly limit you to handloading. But, .223 brass is plentiful.

Of course after I posted my endoresment of the 6.8, which is a fine cartridge, low and behold, Hornady is making 6.5 ammo this year. Thet developed an A-Max bullet spefically for it, with a SICK .510 B.C.. They are also going to sell brass.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Belisarius</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I like the 6mm turbo. Velocity is there and is super accurate.I'd also check the plain 6mmBR.
</div></div>

I got my 6mmART40 shooting excellent!!!

I was shooting at 600Y the other day and had a big splat on steel that was 3-4" with 7-8 shots into it.105 Amax at 2900 fps.

Steve