• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What caliber?

Usaf197

Private
Minuteman
Oct 10, 2020
I’m going to build another upper. I have a 24 inch 6.5 creedmoor.

What should I build another in? 308 for nostalgia and ammo availability? Something still new 25 creed, 6 creed? Some weird wildcat cartridge? A short 6.5?

I hunt, i shoot distance, prs whatever so not really a specific purpose.

Basically I’m asking someone to peak my interest in a cartridge or convince me I need a shorty 6.5 lol

I get a lot out of a 16” .308WIN w/ LPVO. Run-n-gun with mild 125gr FMJ, precision out to 800m with 175SMK, and potential defense with 168 Gold Dots.

Attachments

• 8A2C11E2-BB3C-4F01-9C3E-4221EB4032FD.jpeg
    8A2C11E2-BB3C-4F01-9C3E-4221EB4032FD.jpeg
    335.4 KB · Views: 52
Reactions: TonyTheTiger
How about a 22-cal running long heavies? Cheaper reloads than 6mm as long as you aren’t shooting the 85.5’s from Berger, similar-to-better ballistics and barrel life depending on the cartridge and load, and less recoil to boot.

I’m spooling up a 22BR setup because that thread has piqued my interest and I always need new toys haha

I'd definitely build a 16"-18" .308 over time mine has definitely found it's place in my stable. Some rifles come and go but throughout the years I've hung on to the following setups. 16" 5.56 RECCE Rifle, 22" .223 Varmint Rifle. Lightweight 18"-20" Grendel Rifle ( The 6.5G will drop anything on four legs shy of an Elk). 16"-18" .308 tends to usually be on the heavier side so not ideal for walking around with but a good option for inside 600 yards and works as a good backup when Creedmoor ammo is scarce, and lastly 22" 6.5 Creedmoor for all my distant work/play.

I've tried different calibers and even some wild cats, but I always seem to come back to the above. Some day I'll give the .224 Valk and 6mm ARC a go after it's had more time to work out all the kinks but right now what I got works just fine.

Reactions: r.tenorio671
A 16-18 inch .308 AR is really a jack of all trades in my book. You can do close in work, long range stuff and hunting. Also .308 appears to be available through out all of the panics, including this one. I will always keep one in my collectio.

Local smith has been turning out lots of 22 Creedmoors lately, it's been cool to see it smoke tons of deer in an area where most hunters thought you needed 300 Win Mag minimum up till recently.
I always thought a fast twist 22-250 would be cool in an AR10.