• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fieldcraft What camo for central IL?

G

I'm considering painting the skins of one of my AICS based rifles. I'm either going to do something in white or something that will mix with Central IL vegetation.

What kind of camo jobs have guys done for Midwest plains, grasses, and corn fields?

Re: What camo for central IL?

All depends where you will be at. Are you using this to hunt? You plan on going around the corn fields and what not? What about, if you are around a field, the field was plowed before you set up shop there? If you are in the wooded area (ok I know the 1% of McLean Co that is wooded
grin.gif
or that is not Bloomington/Normal) then you have another factor. Then as you said snow. I said F it about tryign to paint to match a certain foliage there.

My vote would be the kind of camo that attracts the ISU/IWU chicks!!!!
cool.gif

Where you from in McLean Co anyways?

okay pointblank i lived in illinois as a kid and feel ya on the multi season thing. id say if its just for deerhuntin, match the likely autumn colors and think white muslin overwrap for snow days. or hell ya might just get some of that hunters camo tape for temporary camo changes. think they make one pattern of it thats like for duck hunters that would kinda match a dry cornfield. ive personally been experimenting with different colors of krylon to try a match with dead deciduous leaves on forest floor for use on fall turkey. if anyone from krylon reads this hint hint, make dead leaf an available color in missouri, thanks.(except it probably needs to be a pattern of several diffrent browns) just my thoughts take em for what theyre worth.

I'm in northern IL and actually went with lots of tan, some light grey, and VERY small amounts of green and brown.

Even when it's green out - there are a lot of tans present and most guys go WAY too dark in their camo IMHO.

Good luck and have fun!

For those not familiar, I would say the ideal for each season:

Spring: Tan, olive/green,
Summer: Olive, green
Fall: Tan, Flat Dark Earth
Winter: White, Brown, tan

I think the trick is finding something that works for a broad range of seasons and DOES NOT look like absolute dog sh*t.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: krink85</div><div class="ubbcode-body">more like this

Spring
Summer
Fall
Winter
</div></div>

Oh, this rifle will be used in the Summer and Winter mostly.

pointblank, maybe if you make it look exactly like dogshit youll never be spotted? theyll just think, hey look over there is some canine excrement.

Have you broke out the krylon yet? Or have you decided on which path? As for my corn field theme i was only joking PLEASE dont paint your stick like a stalk. I will have to agree with murduk. Tans are always around no matter what season it is. If is really bad in the snow you can wrap it with some type of white cloth.

Let us know what you decide and show your handy work.

I think desert camo or a tan/od pattern would work well under most conditions. Paint it for the winter or wrap/cover it when you have snow.

Central IL = corn camo. Paint it to look like a dirty corn cob with a few stalk leafs on it and then finish it out in John Deer Green

This is a simple question!!! You need 4 different guns for the four different seasons. Thats what i do anyway!! Hey champaing guy! Send me a PM. I live in mattoon. Maybe we could shoot the shit, and the rifles while were at it!! Lee

in a pinch T.P. for snow! that way if nature calls youll have the answer handy,lol. or if the shit hits the fan...i kill me.