• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What can a spotter do to better

Re: What can a spotter do to better

Get behind the shooter, on the rifle side.

Set spotter focus on an object 1/2 to 3/4 distance of target.

Some days its harder to see trace than other days.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Thunderchicken</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Get behind the shooter, on the rifle side.

Set spotter focus on an object 1/2 to 3/4 distance of target.

Some days its harder to see trace than other days. </div></div>

+1

Different atmospheric conditions will alter what you see. I have NEVER focused on anything but the target (I don;t do that 1/2-3/4 focus thing) and have no problem seeing trace...

The Leup 12-40 is fine...

JB

use 20X power or less, put target in bottom of scope, be as in line with bore as possible, commincate with shooter so you are ready when they shoot. It is very fast and you will probaly lose it as it gets close to target. As stated above some days are better than others

may want to do trace search or put post in optics section asking about trace. If you can ever get behind a 100mm team scope it is much easier to see

Trace is interesting, but not that useful.

It tells you about what's happening after you no longer have control of the shot, and may tell you things that aren't true next time you shoot.

Trace can be seen from both ends of the trajectory, and could get someone shot on a two-way range.

The best thing a spotter can tell you is where your misses are going, but it's really the second set of eyes, which aren't being redirected by recoil, that makes this truly helpful.

Beyond that, a good riflescope can handle most of the rest of the things you really need to know.

Greg

I have to disagree just a little bit with ya Greg. Trace can be very useful when you are shooting into brush or something where you cannot see impact. However, it should not be the primary focus of the spotter.

To the OP, your scope should be fine for seeing trace and my guess is that it's just bad conditions for seeing it. Sometimes it's just not very visible....could be atmospheric conditions, could be lighting....who knows? Like it's already been said, set up directly behind the rifle and I like to keep focused on the target.

To see trace it's best to get directly behind the shooter and in line with the bullet. You should see the trace as it rises (and perhaps as it falls).

The biggest value your spotter/coach is going to have is to read the mirage (a visual indicator of what the wind is actually doing) and give best estimates for correction.

Use the best quality optics you can afford and that are practical for your tactical situation.

Kowa Highlander Prominar (fluorite lens) binocular spotting scopes will let you actually see different layers of mirage, showing you how the winds will vary from the surface through the flight arc of your bullet. There are lots of other "Big Eye" binos on the market as well.

Some of the smaller 60, 77, and 80mm high definition scopes are extremely useful on the range or in the hide sight and final firing position.

I got to observe a shot through a set of those Kowa Highlanders. The trace was like watching a Volkswagon being shot downrange. At $4K a pop, though, they're not in my budget.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lindy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">At $4K a pop, though, they're not in my budget.</div></div>I can't afford a Volkswagen either.
But a spotting scope....that's a different story altogether.
laugh.gif