• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What can cause "key-holing"??

merlinnnn

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 6, 2008
Ca
I was sighting in a GAP AR-10 for a MK 4 scope. In getting on paper two shots of South American R1M1 ball ammo "keyholed" the target... I had previously shot this ammo for the initial on paper for the BUIS with no problem...

What could cause this??

Merlinn

Re: What can cause "key-holing"??

What distance were you shooting? Any difference in recoil in the latter rounds? How old is the ammo?

Maybe some of them had cocaine in the cases as a new way to smuggle it in to the country.

I was sighting in at 100 ammo is about 10 years old..

I bought 9 boxes of Chilean 7.62 NATO last summer for $3.00 a box (20 rounds) thinking it would be good for plinkage. As it was easily more accurate out of my stock AR-10A4 than my new Remington and Winchester hunting loads I made a point of saving a couple boxes out of ....spite...I don't know.

Anyway, only thing I can figure for keyholing, in your case, would be ammo quality deteriorating for any number of reasons, or bullets made by the cheapest bidder
whistle.gif
. I damn sure don't think it's your rifle.

I was just goofing on the South American theme. Sorry...

I shoot it through my GAP M40A3 to get close then finish with FGMM 168 or 175 to finish, never had that happen...

twist seemed to be the reason it happened out of my .243 and my 22-250. Went to lighter bullets problem solved. Sure there are other reasons but this was the best explanation I have.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: merlinn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was sighting in a GAP AR-10 for a MK 4 scope. In getting on paper two shots of South American R1M1 ball ammo "keyholed" the target... I had previously shot this ammo for the initial on paper for the BUIS with no problem...

What could cause this??

Merlinn </div></div>

Dang, that is odd. (And I hope you weren't shooting at the range in your area that enforces the 3mph speed limit!!!! Talk about annoying!
smile.gif

I've never seen keyholing except for transonic issues at 900+y with a .308 that was running out of steam. Keyholes at 100y? And it shot okay in the same rifle before? Maybe a way-low powder charge in questionable ammo? Or maybe the bullets saw that damn 3MPH speed limit sign, and they slowed down to match...
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: M.45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wrong bbl twist and bullet weight can cause key-holing. What the heck are you shooting surplus ammo out of a GAP for anyway? Bad doggie! </div></div>

Good surplus is fine to shoot. Been shooting SA surplus for the steel shoots I've been doing. Holds to 1.5 MOA out to 1K so I can't ask for more.

CMS