• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What can you tell me about police reservists????

Twisted

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 12, 2009
NW Oregon
www.twistedfirearms.com
So here is the basic gist of it. I'm 31 years old, no military or anything. Just been working the grind. I have a good job that is secure and treats me well but after almost 4 years I am getting bored again.

One of my customers is a local police officer. We BS often and he keeps telling me to look into what it takes to become a police officer. I never put much thought in to it but honestly the more him and I talk about it the more I think it may be something I could really enjoy.

Looking at the bigger police forces around me (city and county) there are obviously pre-requisites I don't have such has a degree or military experience. One thing I keep seeing is the reserve program but not a whole lot of information about it. The basics I see is that if you can become a reserve officer it gives you the needed experience to apply for a position on the force within a couple few years.

Now obviously it is not a paid position to be on the reserves, it is basically volunteer and you pay your own way as far as gear and such. It is a big time commitment but seems that you can get a lot out of it as far as real world experience.

What I am unsure about is becoming a reserve officer more like a full interview/hire process where it is hard to get on or is it more like a volunteer firefighter where they will take most anyone who wants to help? I figure if I can get on the reserves I can get a taste of what it is like to see if I will really like it or not. Better than paying to go to school to learn from a book and then decide it might not be for me.

Anyone have any ideas or input?

Re: What can you tell me about police reservists????

Our reservists go through the same civil service test, same background checks, polygraphs, psyche test, academy, field training as the full time guys. They are required to meet the same prerequisites for college/military. The only difference is that they are only required to work 2 8 hr shifts per month, and they dont get paid.

If you dont have whats required to get on full time, but they will let you reserve for a chance to go full time, I say do it if that is what you want to do. It'll at least give you the chance to try if before you completely jump on board.

Now, I will tell you, in a lot of departments, reserve officers are looked down upon by the full time guys as "weekend warriors." And, since they dont do it all day every day, they have a reputation for screwing up more than the full time guys.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shaggyback</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Our reservists go through the same civil service test, same background checks, polygraphs, psyche test, academy, field training as the full time guys. They are required to meet the same prerequisites for college/military. The only difference is that they are only required to work 2 8 hr shifts per month, and they dont get paid.

If you dont have whats required to get on full time, but they will let you reserve for a chance to go full time, I say do it if that is what you want to do. It'll at least give you the chance to try if before you completely jump on board. </div></div>

From what I can tell just from reading online is that many of the departments around here have the same pre-requisites and hiring process for reserves minus the military experience or schooling. I don't exactly know what they look for in the hiring process. I have worked steady for the last 13 years, great attendance, each of my employers would recomend me, I have a clean driving record, no criminal record, etc. etc.

Like shaggyback, our reservists go through the same civil service test, same background checks, polygraphs, psyche test, as the full time guys.

Our academy and field training is much more condensed, 60 or 90 hours (its been to many years for me to remember)for book work and class room and 40 hours of field training, but the big difference is we do not operate as solo officers, with the exception of special assignments, we are partnered with a full-time certified officer.

Many Depts. you do have to supply your own gear, but ours is all issued with the exception of back up firearms. We are required to work at least 8 hours a month and have 6 functions yearly that we are required to be at such as foot races, parades, and festivals.

It is a rewarding experience; I’ve been at it a little over 12 years.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Twisted</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
From what I can tell just from reading online is that many of the departments around here have the same pre-requisites and hiring process for reserves minus the military experience or schooling. I don't exactly know what they look for in the hiring process. I have worked steady for the last 13 years, great attendance, each of my employers would recomend me, I have a clean driving record, no criminal record, etc. etc. </div></div>

It sounds like you would be a good candidate.

If you would like, PM me. On light duty, I had to work for our Recruiting Div for a while, so I know the ins and outs of hiring pretty well.

I was a Reserve for 20 years. Every dept's qualifications are different. Check with the dept you are interested in. Reserves in police ranks are looked down upon somewhat, just like in the military. Get in, learn as much as you can, be the best officer you can be, make your own reputation. Earn the respect of your fellow officers.

So I'm bringing this from the dead a little as its been 6 months since I started this thread. Back in August I sent in the basic little application form and sent it in to the local county sheriff department. I got a letter in the mail this past week stating that they are interviewing in February and asking me to call in and schedule one of the time slots if I'm still interested. I did so, was informed they are interviewing 2 seperate days for 4 hours each day in half hour increments. My math tells me that is 16 total interviews.

At any rate, I'm excited. I know its just the first step but its a step in the right direction.

I happened to run into a gentleman from this particular sheriff's department shortly after sending in my forms and he told me that they get a lot of applications for the reserves but rarely do any of them pan out. Guess we'll see.

I started as a reserve officer (many moons ago) while in college, to get my feet wet and see if this was truly my calling. It gives you a new appreciation for the job and is a good experience. Best of luck to you.