• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What cartridge can I build around?

Dta1

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
May 5, 2018
Southern Idaho
So here’s the scoop. I was building a .223 trainer for my 7 year old son. I have an HS precision stock with Wyatts detachable bottom metal for .223.

Just recently received a Remington SA .308 action that I can use for this build.

So, my question, what cartridges can I base this build on with the components that I have? .308 short action and wyatts .223 mag/bottom metal. Ideally, I’d like to build a 6 ARC for him.

I know I can buy another bolt or substitute out components, but trying to see what’s possible with what I have now.

Any advice you may have is greatly appreciated.

@LongRifles Inc. https://www.longriflesinc.com/ can probably do a bolt bushing job on your 308 bolt to get to a 0.378" bolt face diameter if you want to stick with .223 or to a 0.441" bolt face diameter if you want to go with the 6ARC. You'd probably have to tweak the feed lips on the Wyatt mag which looks like allows for a max COAL of 2.850". If you go the bushing route of modifying the current 0.473" bolt (308), you might as well get the works (blueprinting, barrel, etc).

Reactions: Dta1
Going from a .308 boltface to an ARC boltface will cost money. Using 6 ARC with a Wyatt's box may introduce issues; I'm not sure how well the ARC will feed from the box. It might be worth just selling the .308 action on the PX and buying components that you know will work together rather than taking the chance that your components won't work out of the box and having to spend time and money to make them work.

Reactions: Dta1