• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What case are you using for your .308 AR?

dlxcupid

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 2, 2010
Commie-fornia
Just picked up a DPMS LR308 few months ago and mounted a Sightron SIII scope on it. As all you DPMS owners know, DPMS includes a shitty case. I can't decide between a drag bag/soft case or a Pelican. Alot of drag bags I see on here hold bolt rifles but I haven't seen any AR type rifles in the drag bags.

I like the idea of the drag bags because it's lighter and it doesn't take up as much space but more expensive than a Pelican. I like the Pelican because obviously it provides more protection, but it's so heavy and bulky. My rifle along with it's gear is dam near 20lbs, I can't imagine lugging around a 40lb case for too long.

Just wanted to see what you fellow AR guys are using, pics would be greatly appreciated. Like to add that my primary use will be target shooting and hunting, I'm not LE or military. Thanks in advance!

Re: What case are you using for your .308 AR?

I use the 42" Tactical Tailor Covert Case. I like it because it is well made, affordable and works. Drag bag is a bit much unless you really need to lug around a bunch of gear with your rifle. Since your not mil/leo i don't see why you would really need to spend the extra money on one.

Get a soft case. Pelican style hard cases have there uses, but putting your rifle in your ride and going to the range is overkill.

I have blackhawk cases and they are nice, but one is starting to fall apart. My Tactical Tailor cases have held up great so far. Or you could look into eagle cases @ triad
http://www.tacticaltailor.com/covertcarrycase.aspx

Kevin

Kevin - Although I'm not LEO or Military, that doesn't mean I don't want something that's high quality or practical to me.

The bags that you guys listed are too short. Total length on my rifle is right around 46 inches. I've got a 24" barrel with Miculek comp.

Good advice btw guys!

At 46" I'd say you are well into Drag Bag territory?

I've got ones from Eagle and Tactical Tailor at the moment.

For me the Eagle has the edge - the padding is heavier duty and the storage seems better laid out. The TT one is a little "lightweight" to my way of thinking

But there are plenty of other options to look at depending on the facilities you need.

i am also running a 24" AR but my OAL weapon length is pushing 48-49 unless i suck my stock in short.

I have the "older style" Eagle Drag Bag and LOVE it with my only complaint being that it always ends up being front heavy unless i store all my ammo/suppressor in the back storage unit.

I have heard that the new bags have fixed this balance issue.

Next bag is going to be the AIM 60 because i plan to get a 30-32" big bore upper...and I can also run the current AR set up with out taking the can off the system

Anyone try a Galati gun case?

Thinking about ordering one. I use Ace Cases now, but they aren't wide enough and the zippers break.

-dan

What features are you guys looking for?

I am in the process of designing a case type deal for my AR10. Not really sure exactly what direction I am going to take it yet.

Are you looking for heavy padding to keep the rifle from getting scratched? Or just something to keep the mud/dirt/rain off of it?

it'd be best if it was the best of both worlds. Features of importance in priority order:

1. protection
2. durability/quality
3. lightweight/size
4. price

What I was really looking for was a drag bag that can unfold to be a shooting mat, if that makes any sense?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dlxcupid</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
What I was really looking for was a drag bag that can unfold to be a shooting mat, if that makes any sense?</div></div>

Yes it does...and there's plenty to choose from:

Galati? http://www.galatiinternational.com/
Eberlestock? http://www.eberlestock.com/
Eagle? http://www.eagleindustries.com/home.php

Plus others I'm sure...........

Enjoy your homework!
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dlxcupid</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Kevin - Although I'm not LEO or Military, that doesn't mean I don't want something that's high quality or practical to me.
</div></div>

I wasn't saying that you should buy a shitty or cheap case, hopefully it didn't sound like that. I'm just saying alot of guys buy drag bags when they don't really need one. I had a TacOps drag bag and it was great, but practically speaking i can have 2 eagle or TT cases that do what i need it do to for the price of one nice drag bag.

I typically load up a couple rifles in my truck and ride out to the range, a standard Eagle/Tactical Tailor/Blackhawk soft case is all i need and want. If i am hunting my rifle uses is not in the case. Covert cases are nice because if you are seen coming out of your house/apartment with a camo drag bag it is pretty obvious what you are doing, with the covert cases in black etc, it is still somewhat discrete.

Everyone has there own needs, so whatever works for you does. I just know what works for me. I have 2 drag bags and a Pelican case for my long rifles and i never use them because of size and weight. just my 2cents.

just go here
http://www.triadtactical.com/Drag-Bags-and-Weapon-Cases/

Kevin

Galati looks good but 2 years warranty? Eberlestock, don't really like the design, looks too bulky. I like the Eagle but nothing's in stock and man are they pricey.

Well some of the guys here will tell you "buy once,cry once".

I'd agree with that...if only because if you buy a better one, more chance it'll take the punishment and protect the rifle better?

I've got the Eagle and happy to recommend it....but if you go this route try to get the version with the relocated handles - otherwise they can be front heavy.

Eagle drag bag for my LR-308 24" bbl. Fit is about perfect.
IMG_2168.jpg

Tried to cram it into a one of the DB-BS mats that I use for my botl gun (like it that it's so much more compact), but the mag, pistol grip, and height of the turets wouldn't let me get it in there.
IMG_2166.jpg

Thanks SPDSNYPR! Exactly what I wanted to know. I too was thinking about the DB-BS but didn't know if the LR308 was gonna fit. I'm leaning towards Eagle but no one's got one in stock! WTF? Have you seen the HSRC? That's perfect! again...no one's got one! Sniper Country PX's got one but it's in black, my last choice in color selection.

Here is mine, Nick can custom make it to whatever size you need. His bags are easy at par with eagle. I like them more.
1zf0ays.jpg

2ufeeeq.jpg

2k2ff6.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What features are you guys looking for?

I am in the process of designing a case type deal for my AR10. Not really sure exactly what direction I am going to take it yet.

Are you looking for heavy padding to keep the rifle from getting scratched? Or just something to keep the mud/dirt/rain off of it? </div></div>

For me priorities are:

1=) Padding to protect from knocks
1=) Waterproof
3) Storage capacity inside and out
4) Flexible internal webbing (like the Arktis Drag)
5) Balanced carry when loaded
6) Stowable and padded back straps

An integral shooting mat would be cool too (maybe like the Tac Ops?)..but not a major issue as my TAB mat packs up small.