• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes What Case for rifle with a scope

TommyTwoGuns

Private
Minuteman
Mar 8, 2018
I am new to precision shooting and hope this post in in the right forum (mods feel free to move it). There is lots of intel about how to select, mount, and zero a scope. But once that is done the rifle and scope have to be move to and from the range/what ever and stored. This often involves lots of bumps along the way which may well require the shooter to zero the scope again.

I just got a Tikka and am wondering about getting the best case to make sure after I go through the effort of selecting, mounting and zeroing the scope I won't have to do it again because I hit a bump in the road driving to the range or bumped the rifle against a tree humping through the woods. I have been using a Pelican case for my P90 but it is a lot smaller than the Tikka and I use it in part because I store the p90 on my boat (42 foot sailing catamaran I cruise on for months at a time in the Bahamas) and want a waterproof case. I doubt I would take the Tikka on a cruise and may well need to store it for the winter season when I cruise in the tropics. Any intel on cases in general and specific ones for my needs welcome.

I like the Pelican protector cases. The relevant models are the 1700 1720 and 1750 depending on how large of a case you want.
I'm almost certain the 1750 should be able to fit your rifle. My 50cal Barrett fits in one.

If the rifle is made of sensitive materials, consider storing the rifle within a oil impregnated gun sock while in the case to keep it away from the foam, and add plenty of desiccant packs.

For protection i second the pelican cases are hard to beat. the 1750 i would expect to fit your rifle.

Reactions: el_cazador713
TommyTwoGuns, you can also check out Nanuk cases (Pelican quality or better IMHO). These go for similar money as Pelican, are super heavy duty and are built to mil-spec as well.

However, If all you are looking for is a means to personally transport your scoped rifle back and forth to the range, always handling it yourself, and don't expect to need to check the item for airline travel, you may be able to get away with one of the much less costly Plano cases (or similar) with foam inserts. Look for deals at your local Walmart or online. Measure your rifle and scope outer envelope, add a few inches, and be aware of the handle configuration as in many of the cheaper cases the molded in plastic carry handle can steal a lot of room at the inside center of the case right where you most need the height to safely accommodate your scoped rifle.

You may also find used cases at your local pawn shop. I've never bought there, but have seen some opportunities. They are almost always willing to entertain a lower offer just to clear the item.

As a last note, you mention storing the rifle in the case for the winter... In my opinion, a rifle should never be stored inside a foam case for any extended period of time as the foam will absorb and retain moisture which will be detrimental to your firearm. Particularly if you live in a humid climate.

Just my two cents! Welcome to the Hide.

I like the Pelican protector cases. The relevant models are the 1700 1720 and 1750 depending on how large of a case you want.
I'm almost certain the 1750 should be able to fit your rifle. My 50cal Barrett fits in one.

If the rifle is made of sensitive materials, consider storing the rifle within a oil impregnated gun sock while in the case to keep it away from the foam, and add plenty of desiccant packs.

Agree about not storing a bare weapon in the case. The Tikka as well as the bolt came wrapped in a plastic sock that is suppose to be treated with some type of oil to protect it. At least this is what I was told by a gunsmith who said be sure and keep them (anyone know if this is true). I use silicone socks on the pistols I seldom fire but keep them in a safe not a case.

Unless your gun is bouncing around a lot or you are traveling with it often, I'd recommend just getting a soft case.

Unless your gun is bouncing around a lot or you are traveling with it often, I'd recommend just getting a soft case.

^^^ Soft case is an excellent idea!

Later, if the need to travel arises, the soft case, with rifle inside, can be shipped in a hard Pelican/Nanuk case to withstand the rough treatment an airline baggage handler could/would dole out.

best hard case ive used for travel has been a SKB double gun, which i just use for 1 rifle and some extras.
tried the rest pelican, storm, browning, aluminum pretty ones and had a scope get spun with all of them.
ive also found foot prints on my gun cases when i get them at the baggage claim on several occasions.
being on the east coast i travel via plane 9 out of 10 times and airline people kick the shit out of our hunting and shooting stuff everywhere i have gone, except canada, and Argentina (but that was shotgun so it doesnt count) they were nice and actually wanted to see what was inside.
what i like about the SKB is the sides have knobs so i deflects some direct hits to the actual rifle compartment.

If you are scared of getting your 0 effected by getting bumped in transport, get better optics. Hard cases are just too bulky and heavy to carry around all the time. I use my Storm and Pelican cases for when I fly with them. Other then that, get a Eagle HSRC, if you can find them.

For flying or super protection:
1520953148334.png

For range trips and general hauling:
1520953254789.png

These are just some examples.

R

Reactions: el_cazador713
There are also soft cases designed to fit inside the shell of the Pelican hard cases...it gets a little pricey but the link below pairs with a Pelican 1750 (which I rarely use now). If you were to take the Tikka on a cruise with you I would recommend storing the rifle in a gun sock, in the soft case, all contained in 1750 shell...and also keep two silicone impregnated clothes in the case. Between the humidity and the salt air from living on the coast, it's been a constant battle maintaining my firearms and I'd imagine it would be even worse on a boat. I've found that the silicone impregnated socks have made the biggest difference.

http://www.armageddongear.com/M2010-Precision-Rifle-Case-USGI_p_24.html