• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What case prep center/tool to buy

brentwinkey

Private
Minuteman
Jan 14, 2012
St.Cloud Minnesota
Im looking to get a case prep center. I got a WFT 2 trimmer for free so I bought the various bushings for my calibers I shoot to use it and it seems to work decent and use hand tool for do the rest. I'm looking to add a chamfer/debur case prep tool/station to the reloading table. I would like to buy a Giraud Power Trimmer but $500+ is kinda steep for me at this time but I am a buy once cry once type tho. I am considering the Lyman prep center. Any suggestions? Thanks for any advise

You simply cannot beat the giraud trimmer if your loading lots of rounds. I also have the RCBS case prep center, but hardly ever use it anymore.
[/QUOTE
Yeah I shoot a decent amount...have 600 pieces of 6.5 creed to prep and I'm not looking forward to doing by hand lol

Lyman is not a bad piece to own, especially for the price. I have a Giraud and other trimmers but I still keep the Lyman around and use it from time to time. Nice for a quick chamfer debur even if I"m not trimming.

Reactions: brentwinkey

To be honest, since the giraud trims and chamfers (inside/outside), you do not really need anything else. When you change out the lock rings that come with it and use the clamp type, all your doing is changing the shell holder out and never need adjusting. This is the one trimmer that sells itself. Everyone loves them. It takes longer to pick up a case and put it back in the tray than it does to trim/chamfer a case. It cuts your time by half at least.

I use the RCBS very seldom actually. I also have a wilson trimmer from when I was converting 308 lapua to creed that I never use. But I keep it around so I can ream necks if need be. I ordered a 6.5 saum shell holder, but have yet to use it since my cases are not growing...so I end up just chamfering with a hand tool with only 100 cases. Like many, I bought it to chamfer etc, now it collects dust.

I think I have 6 shell holders and 4 cutter heads + the price of the trimmer....so yeah...its a big investment. But there are 2 tools that I love and will never give up for many years...the giraud trimmer and the 21st cent neck turner.

To make it more palatable, when ordering one...it ususally takes about 60 days to receive it. With a high volume of cases it is highly recommended, but if you only have 100 cases anything can work well. If more guys chime in, while they may have the Lyman or RCBS station....well they use thier giraud now.

Buy once, cry once.......

I just bought the Frankford Arsenal unit a couple of weeks ago, as they had a good sale, and so far I like its design. For the money it seems to be a good value.

To be honest, since the giraud trims and chamfers (inside/outside), you do not really need anything else. When you change out the lock rings that come with it and use the clamp type, all your doing is changing the shell holder out and never need adjusting. This is the one trimmer that sells itself. Everyone loves them. It takes longer to pick up a case and put it back in the tray than it does to trim/chamfer a case. It cuts your time by half at least.

I use the RCBS very seldom actually. I also have a wilson trimmer from when I was converting 308 lapua to creed that I never use. But I keep it around so I can ream necks if need be. I ordered a 6.5 saum shell holder, but have yet to use it since my cases are not growing...so I end up just chamfering with a hand tool with only 100 cases. Like many, I bought it to chamfer etc, now it collects dust.

I think I have 6 shell holders and 4 cutter heads + the price of the trimmer....so yeah...its a big investment. But there are 2 tools that I love and will never give up for many years...the giraud trimmer and the 21st cent neck turner.

To make it more palatable, when ordering one...it ususally takes about 60 days to receive it. With a high volume of cases it is highly recommended, but if you only have 100 cases anything can work well. If more guys chime in, while they may have the Lyman or RCBS station....well they use thier giraud now.

I agree with you fully...might just have to bite the bullet as they say an invest in a giraud and be done....I'd definitely go with buying a cutter head and shell holder for each caliber.

I use RCBS case prep center. I have upgraded the inside and outside chamfering tool. You have to be careful with the outside cutter. If you don't get the case centered, the blades can grab and cut/twist/knick the neck wall. I have had this machine probably about 10-12 years.... never ever had an issue with it.

You simply cannot beat the giraud trimmer if your loading lots of rounds. I also have the RCBS case prep center, but hardly ever use it anymore.
Lyman is not a bad piece to own, especially for the price. I have a Giraud and other trimmers but I still keep the Lyman around and use it from time to time. Nice for a quick chamfer debur even if I"m not trimming.

Do you load/prep any crimped cases? if so, what do you use? I have have been waiting for the right deal to come along on a Giraud for a little while now for trimming and chamfering, but haven't made a decision on a powered crimp removal set up. I can't decide if it makes sense to buy a case prep center for doing that while I also have the Giraud. Removing the crimps my hand is always an option too, but I don't want to keep doing that.

Do you load/prep any crimped cases? if so, what do you use? I have have been waiting for the right deal to come along on a Giraud for a little while now for trimming and chamfering, but haven't made a decision on a powered crimp removal set up. I can't decide if it makes sense to buy a case prep center for doing that while I also have the Giraud. Removing the crimps my hand is always an option too, but I don't want to keep doing that.

Are you refering to crimped primers ? That's a whole different ball game. A case prep senter is not going to remove crimped primers either, you need a swage for that ??? I would rather buy prepped brass in that case...it's lots of work.

There are giraud's that pop up on the exchange at times, but you have to act quick.

Reactions: *AimSmall*

I kept my case prep center for new brass, otherwise I run everything through the giraud.

Are you refering to crimped primers ? That's a whole different ball game. A case prep senter is not going to remove crimped primers either, you need a swage for that ??? I would rather buy prepped brass in that case...it's lots of work.

There are giraud's that pop up on the exchange at times, but you have to act quick.

Yes, I am refering to crimped primers. A lot of case prep centers have a military crimp removal tool on them or you can add one on. I'm just curious how people with a Giraud do it as it obviously does not perform that function. Do they have both, or just the Giraud and a manual crimp removal tool?

Yes, I am refering to crimped primers. A lot of case prep centers have a military crimp removal tool on them or you can add one on. I'm just curious how people with a Giraud do it as it obviously does not perform that function. Do they have both, or just the Giraud and a manual crimp removal tool?

I bought a hand powered crimp remover since I use a giraud. After 100 cases I went and bought better brass. Problem solved intellectually :p

• Haha
Reactions: Threadcutter308

I use a Giraud and I remove military primer crimps manually. I use the newest RCBS crimp remover. It is much better design than the old remover tool. The Hornady crimp remover works well, but the new RCBS is better.

I chuck it with a power dive adapter into a 3/8"variable speed drill mounted in a vise set on the slowest speed. My drill has a set switch on the trigger with a speed dial that can be set and locked on. When mounted solid in a vise this way, it is very fast, removing crimps with light to medium pressure. You can do a lot of cases in a short time.

I do have the older RCBS case prep center, but for removing primer crimps, the drill method is much quicker and easier on the fingers.

I use a Giraud and I remove military primer crimps manually. I use the newest RCBS crimp remover. It is much better design than the old remover tool. The Hornady crimp remover works well, but the new RCBS is better.

I chuck it with a power dive adapter into a 3/8"variable speed drill mounted in a vise set on the slowest speed. My drill has a set switch on the trigger with a speed dial that can be set and locked on. When mounted solid in a vise this way, it is very fast, removing crimps with light to medium pressure. You can do a lot of cases in a short time.

I do have the older RCBS case prep center, but for removing primer crimps, the drill method is much quicker and easier on the fingers.

This is what I plan on doing. My new version of the RCBS crimp remover fits into my drill perfectly. Ran about a 100 cases through it with ease. No vise mount though, I just kind of hold the thing vertical and prop it against the bench.