• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What causes lateral shots

memo43

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 23, 2010
California
Been a long time since I have posted but, an decided to get back into it.
shooting out of a factory savage 12, Lapua cases Fed 210 primers Sierra 180 with IMR 4064
the gun is out shooting me hands down, but Im wanting to squeeze all the juice.
after running a charge test I came up with the best charge weigth an I want the group smaller.
I can easily say its all me, but want to rule out any other variable
any help or pointers would be appreciated

Memo

Attachments

• IMG_2800.JPG
    IMG_2800.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_2799.JPG
    IMG_2799.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 9
Been a long time since I have posted but, an decided to get back into it.
shooting out of a factory savage 12, Lapua cases Fed 210 primers Sierra 180 with IMR 4064
the gun is out shooting me hands down, but Im wanting to squeeze all the juice.
after running a charge test I came up with the best charge weigth an I want the group smaller.
I can easily say its all me, but want to rule out any other variable
any help or pointers would be appreciated

Memo

If you are shooting 100 yards then even a 3mph wind could move your poi nearly 1/4". I would say your groups are looking great. I just plugged a 3mph wind into Hornady Ballistic calculator with a 180gr doing 2550 fps out of the muzzle. If there was any hint of breeze then that could account for a deviation as small as the one you have.

Thanks for the responce, I have made up some more and will test/ shoot at 300 and 600 for over all groupd performace.
if anything I will work my position and go back to shooting

If its not the wind, try changing your load .1gr in both directions to see if either makes a difference in horizontal spread.

Id not sweat it. looking very good. Maybe you hit a fly on the way to the target lol. Seriously though, could be wind or any number of things back at the rifle causing a little horizontal there.

See what happens at range!

Generally when I shoot horizontal I blame myself. I let my buddy shoot my rifle (same ammo) and there was much less. If you're shooting 0.6" groups I wouldn't sweat it too much.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

horizontal spread is either wind or you. if the wind is suttle and you're pushing the bullets to either side then it could be a number of things. more than likely it is an improper trigger pull, but it's hard to say without being there.

thanks for all the responces, ill try to get out early an comfirm again, I will post some pics
overll Im very pleased with the powder and bullet.

If you are shooting 100 yards then even a 3mph wind could move your poi nearly 1/4". I would say your groups are looking great. I just plugged a 3mph wind into Hornady Ballistic calculator with a 180gr doing 2550 fps out of the muzzle. If there was any hint of breeze then that could account for a deviation as small as the one you have.

I agree with the above the only other thing I can think think of is a slight torque on the trigger when you shot rather than a straight pull back. But with those groups I wouldn't worry about it to much about it.