• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What chassis/stocks are most popular now in competition use?

Undrgrndprdcts

Private
Minuteman
Feb 15, 2017
I compete some but I'm not like in the prs standings or anything right now, so I probably don't have the full picture currently of what most of you are using. Currently using the mdt acc, but not sure I'm in love with it for whatever reason. Might be the longer foreend. I've seen a lot of you guys go all in on foundation, only to go back to the acc elite. Most of the guys I know and shoot with use the mpa. I know chassis are super individual but I don't really want to buy them all to figure it out. So the question is, for guys with a lot of exposure and experience with the platforms, what are we generally trending towards currently and why?

Reactions: TheBigCountry
I compete some but I'm not like in the prs standings or anything right now, so I probably don't have the full picture currently of what most of you are using. Currently using the mdt acc, but not sure I'm in love with it for whatever reason. Might be the longer foreend. I've seen a lot of you guys go all in on foundation, only to go back to the acc elite. Most of the guys I know and shoot with use the mpa. I know chassis are super individual but I don't really want to buy them all to figure it out. So the question is, for guys with a lot of exposure and experience with the platforms, what are we generally trending towards currently and why?
I’ve used the ACC, I’ve used Manners T3 and T4A, and now I use the KRG Bravo.

Besides my AI AT, the KRG bravo checks a lot of boxes for me, and plenty of upgrades available.

If I wasn’t running the Bravo, I do like their Whiskey chassis as well.

The MDT you don’t like is hugely popular.

I would focus on what works for you over what’s winning the popularity contest at any given moment. At the end of the day any good functional chassis isn’t going to be the reason you sucked or not. Find out what you like and shoot it.

That's the answer right there. Doesn't matter what others like but what works for you.

The MDT you don’t like is hugely popular.

I would focus on what works for you over what’s winning the popularity contest at any given moment. At the end of the day any good functional chassis isn’t going to be the reason you sucked or not. Find out what you like and shoot it.
I'm not saying I don't like it, I'm more trying to figure out if I need to keep investing more time in it or try something else. Perhaps more of a stock type like a t4a or foundation. The best shooter of our gang runs the acc elite btw.

Or try a Manners TCS. It has a really solid feel and easy to set up for the shooter to be comfortable as well. I have always been a stock over chassis guy and why I use the Manners instead of a chassis. There are a bunch of good chassis out there but they don't feel right to me. Got to use what works for you.

Reactions: Undrgrndprdcts
MDT KRG XLR Foundation MPA Manners McMillan

All have merit and any would suit your purposes

You need to get your hands on each of them. Buy what feels right and adjusts best to your shooting needs. Buy once cry once. But if it’s what you really enjoy you won’t cry when you’re shooting it.

What people have said above is definitely correct. Go with what feels good and fits you.

I'm not sure if you have the Premier or the Elite or what you sticking point(s) are. Still, here are a couple of quick things to look at if you aren't ready to move on to something else quite yet.

1. A higher set of rings may help with how you interface with the buttstock. Especially on the acc elite.
2. If you have the Premier, the elite grip and elite cheek piece can make a big difference in feel/ergos.
3. The grips are hugely adjustable, which is probably my favorite part of the chassis. It can take some playing with if you came from something like a typical Manners/McMillan where you might have to stand off the grip to get 90 degrees on the trigger.
4. Along with grip, the thumb shelf on the elite have a ton of adjustment. It did take me a while to figure out that where I thought I wanted it set isn't what actually felt comfortable.

That's the answer right there. Doesn't matter what others like but what works for you.
^ Yep This ^ I didn't like the feel/function of any chassis until I actually tried a KRG Whiskey 3, now it My all time high score & favorite (y)

Semi recent pic of current setup.

20230623_204450.jpg

What about foundation stocks? Best thing since sliced bread or fad that people are past now? I held one (think it was a centurion, can't remember) for about a minute and it felt ok but couldn't really form an opinion. Grip felt slick, would have to remedy with skateboard tape if I tried one. @NiteQwill

Reactions: Newbie2020
Look on the PRS home page - they have a survey for major pieces of equipment. Currently - stock/chassis =
MPA 455
MDT 384
Foundation 275
Manners 156
KRG 89
XLR 78

I suspect very regional, too. I shoot Southeast and stock/chassis dominated with MPA and Foundation - seeing a few MDT.

What about foundation stocks? Best thing since sliced bread or fad that people are past now? I held one (think it was a centurion, can't remember) for about a minute and it felt ok but couldn't really form an opinion. Grip felt slick, would have to remedy with skateboard tape if I tried one. @NiteQwill
I use a Foundation MG2 - love it. Never had issue with slickness.

I don’t think you’re getting it. You’re also not going to get a feel for how the thing actually works from holding one for a minute, it isn’t a titty.

If you like a more traditional stock more you’ll like a manners or foundation more. If you like a stock with an AR style grip more then you’ll like an MDT, MPA, ATX style more. PRS matches and championships have been won with all of them. Forget what’s popular or what the next guy is shooting.

I don’t think you’re getting it. You’re also not going to get a feel for how the thing actually works from holding one for a minute, it isn’t a titty.

If you like a more traditional stock more you’ll like a manners or foundation more. If you like a stock with an AR style grip more then you’ll like an MDT, MPA, ATX style more. PRS matches and championships have been won with all of them. Forget what’s popular or what the next guy is shooting.
No I get it, I agree with everything you said. I even said I didn't use it enough to form an opinion. The problem is you said find what you like and use that. The reason why I posted this is because I'm not sure I have a strong opinion on what I like, and was hoping for some guidance from guys that have seen a ton of other people go through the different options. So far your solution is to buy a bunch of stocks and chassis and shoot them all a bunch and see what you like best. While I'm sure that is a great way to do it, it seems impractical and expensive.

No I get it, I agree with everything you said. I even said I didn't use it enough to form an opinion. The problem is you said find what you like and use that. The reason why I posted this is because I'm not sure I have a strong opinion on what I like, and was hoping for some guidance from guys that have seen a ton of other people go through the different options. So far your solution is to buy a bunch of stocks and chassis and shoot them all a bunch and see what you like best. While I'm sure that is a great way to do it, it seems impractical and expensive.

No, you’re clearly not getting it. A lot of chassis and stocks work for a lot of people, including the one that you currently have an don’t like. Someone suggesting the next one that they prefer for them could end up the same as your current situation. Either adapt to what you have or keep trying stuff until you find what you like.

No, you’re clearly not getting it. A lot of chassis and stocks work for a lot of people, including the one that you currently have an don’t like. Someone suggesting the next one that they prefer for them could end up the same as your current situation. Either adapt to what you have or keep trying stuff until you find what you like.
Ok thanks for your help.

I shoot both Foundation and MDT ACC Elite extensively. I have 1/2 a season with the MDT and several seasons with the Foundation Centurion. They both have pros and cons. For me, I enjoy shooting my Foundation more.

I have ran most everything and FOR ME, I found the following.....

MPA BA Comp: My first chassis 7 years ago. Very solid and will do anything that you need it to do. Not the sexiest but just works.

KRG Bravo: Budget friendly option that performs well. Short fore end. I hate having to add all of the additional add-ons to get it where I want it. Also doesn't play well with my Impact action.

Foundation Centurion: Feeds very reliably. Not as expensive as some of the others, and has a nice wide fore end. Can be butt heavy depending on rimfire/centerfire barrel profiles. Lots of the popularity comes from the success of the Okies in PRS. Great Christian based company as well.

XLR Envy Pro: I LOVE this chassis and still use it. Very easy to balance. Highly adjustable. Shorter fore end compared to some others. Adjustable mag catch which many offer now feeds everything reliably. Their customer service like most of these companies is A+. They fixed something for me for free that was 100% not their fault. I have no plans to get rid of this chassis. Love the C6 buttstock.

Manners TCS: These things are just damn sexy. I love the look/feel of these and FOR ME, they just fit like a glove. My main stock/chassis along with the XLR. No plans to change again.

MDT LSS: Had on a rimfire and is very solid. Never had anything from MDT that wasn't well built.

Point made above. Consider not just the initial cost of the stock/chassis but also the "extras" you may need to get stock/chassis like you want it. The add-ons really can increase total cost.

For 22 rimfire, make sure to consider the relative "butt heaviness" of a stock/chassis otherwise you may be adding a lot of weight to try and get balance (not as big an issue with centerfire, longer barrels, contours, etc.).

This. Until you send a few K rounds downrange from enough different positions to naturally setup behind whatever chassis/stock and can immediately “feel” it at will, you don’t know what works for you. Your lack of comfort means nothing until you are intimately familiar with every interface, including how the group looks on paper.

What people have said above is definitely correct. Go with what feels good and fits you.

I'm not sure if you have the Premier or the Elite or what you sticking point(s) are. Still, here are a couple of quick things to look at if you aren't ready to move on to something else quite yet.

1. A higher set of rings may help with how you interface with the buttstock. Especially on the acc elite.
2. If you have the Premier, the elite grip and elite cheek piece can make a big difference in feel/ergos.
3. The grips are hugely adjustable, which is probably my favorite part of the chassis. It can take some playing with if you came from something like a typical Manners/McMillan where you might have to stand off the grip to get 90 degrees on the trigger.
4. Along with grip, the thumb shelf on the elite have a ton of adjustment. It did take me a while to figure out that where I thought I wanted it set isn't what actually felt comfortable.

This. I've been a Foundation guy for a few years but made the switch to an Elite at the end of last season. It takes a bit to set it up bit once you have it right, it fits like a glove.

Last edited:
Look on the PRS home page - they have a survey for major pieces of equipment. Currently - stock/chassis =
MPA 455
MDT 384
Foundation 275
Manners 156
KRG 89
XLR 78

I suspect very regional, too. I shoot Southeast and stock/chassis dominated with MPA and Foundation - seeing a few MDT.
That’s pretty cool. I didn’t know that. Useful.

Any of the high-end options available discussed in this thread keep their value and are easily resold here on the hide.

One thing I noticed is sometimes all it‘s a pretty subtle change that can make you go from being on the fence liking something to really liking it.

I have two chassis, MDT ACC Premier and XLR Envy Pro w/ C6. I got to play with both before getting them. I like them both, but once I ditched the Ergo grip that came on the XLR and replaced it with the MDT Vertical Grip Elite (the fat one) I liked the XLR even more. Back in Nov I was shopping for a chassis for a third rifle and ended up getting a second XLR Envy Pro on BF. Skipped the Ergo grip and will be getting another MDT grip.

A buddy has a Aero Solus chassis. As it came from the shop, it was meh… ok, but not wow. Once he put the MDT grip on it we both changed our minds. Same buddy had a Manners TCS. I shot it a few times. Really nice stock, and I’ve always really liked how Manners stocks look, but the one thing I couldn’t reconcile was how far back the grip was. If it was 1/2” further forward I would have got one.

Tried Manners. Tried Foundation. Went to ACC Elite which I’ve found more comfy to shoot. Being able to move the grip all the way in is about equivalent to moving the TRG trigger all the way back which is another great fitting and comfy rifle.

That's an old chart. MDT is second most popular currently.

As far as my original post goes, I think the first thing I'm going to do is replace the grip with the elite one. I think that will help. Also, although it's not chassis related, I'm going to be upgrading my trigger as well. I may also experiment with making a custom bag rider similar to the new elite style, since mdt hasn't released one for the premier. I don't like how the old one sticks out the way it does (I work in a machine shop).

Like others have said, you need to try them for yourself. My limited experience:

MPA - works.

MDT ACC Premier - love the fit and feel. Without internal weights, the forend flexes a bit more than I’d like given the price. My main rimfire PRS chassis.

MDT ACC Elite - feels great, favorite chassis. Super rigid, love the stabilizer bar in back for rear bags and keeps the grip from falling too deep into tires. My main PRS chassis.

Foundation - only had one for a few weeks. Best feeling under recoil. Love the traditional looks. Would prefer a bit more grip texture. Couldn’t get the fit dialed just right back then.

Manners TCS - love the look and feel. Ran one for a season. If you’re not adding wings or other doodads to the front, it’s probably my favorite non-chassis.

Aero Solus - surprisingly good. Stiff forend despite the two piece design. Needs a little material removal for Impact trigger hanger. Highest value chassis without a doubt.

If I’m building on a chassis and no budget: ACC Elite. With budget: Solus

I didn’t want a chassis at first. I shoot in cold weather, so I really prefer composites. As I was progressing, I was constantly changing my fit, so chassis were a better option. Now that I’m settling in to my fit groove, I could easily switch back to stocks. I just hesitate now because it’s handy to have mounting options for a Send It Level, round holders, thumb shelf and other doodads to help me decide what the fack I’m supposed to be doing with my left hand with any sort of consistency.

Last edited:
The JAE was my favorite, felt like a traditional stock but many features available like a chassis. The only downside is they are expensive..

Reactions: kthomas
MPA 455
MDT 384
Foundation 275
Manners 156
KRG 89
XLR 78

I'd take those numbers with a grain of salt. As in MPA will give just about anyone with a heartbeat a chassis (the Taylormade Golf approach, give everybody something, then claim to be #1) and KRG doesn't sponsor but a few people. Everyone else on that list falls in between.

Reactions: kthomas
I'd take those numbers with a grain of salt. As in MPA will give just about anyone with a heartbeat a chassis (the Taylormade Golf approach, give everybody something, then claim to be #1) and KRG doesn't sponsor but a few people. Everyone else on that list falls in between.
I would think the vast majority of those are purchased out of pocket.