• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What cheek rest should I buy

Re: What cheek rest should I buy

My personal preference is the Eagle stock-pad. what I did was I cut up part of an old mouse pad so that it was at the correct level and was able to carve it so that it fit nicely on my face. Then I used 6 zip-ties to secure it in place. Finally I attached the stock-pad and I had a custom cheek rest that was designed to fit me.

There are other good ways of doing it out there, this is just the one I chose and it has worked well for me.

I prefer Eagle also, but Tac Ops makes a great pack as well. Also a big +1 to the cut mouspad trick, really helps if you need to raise the cheek a little more.

Also Altenburg is only like 2 1/2 hours away from Fenton, Eagle's HQ, if it matters to you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: donshaw</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is the eagle better than getting an adj cheek pad? </div></div>

Well, I am not sure if it is particularly better or not, it just depends on how often you need to change your cheek height? Do you change out your scope/rings often? Do you have multiple shooters firing your rifle very often? I am the only one who shoots my rifle, with the exception of some friends on the weekend and my dad when he's in the mood, and with a stock pack on my Mcmillan HTG it fit everyone fairly well with no adjusting, so to me it wasn't worth the extra money. If you want an adjustable cheek, you can always get it and just fit the stock pack over it and have the best of both worlds if you want.

The mouse pad is a great idea, havn't heard that one yet. I'm gonna have to try it.
We cut up SAM splints and wrap them with Camo Form Protective Camouflage Wrap.
I recieved this gun 2 days before a competition and didn't have time to get a cheek piece the proper height. I just folded some of thte camo form on itself to get the right height then wrapped it in place with some more. This works well if you are just a little off on your height. I like the camo form because it keeps my face from slipping on the stock, wasting valuable time on follow up shots, especially if you are sweaty on have face paint on.
izbvo9.jpg

Old way... stock pack with mouse pads:

IMG_0191.jpg

New way... adj. cheek rest from XLR:

IMG_0329.jpg

The stock pack at least got my eye in line with the scope without straining my neck, but the cheek rest gives so much better cheek weld. Very firm.

I addition the velcro doesn't tear up my sock anymore and I can clean and remove the bolt without removing the stock pack.

John

Even better....well cheaper than a mouse pad:

1/2" x 6' Self Sticking Pipe Insulation (around $6.00 and enough to raise combs on about a dozen rifles). Found at Ace hardware or any big box hardware store. Cut it fit with an Exacto knife, place it your comb, remove tape backing and stick it.

Cover it with a Uncle Mikes Elastic Sleeve Shell Holder for around $10-11 dollars and go shoot.

Note: The Uncle Mikes Elastic Sleeve Shell Holder is small enough to not cover up your Left Side Flush Cups, as the more expensive stock pack solutions usually do, regrettably.

This solution has worked well on every McMillan HTG, and H-S Precision A1 Tactical I've owned.

The pipe insulation and the uncle Mike's shell holder is the same cheap method I used. It works good.

I use spray glue to hold on pipe insulation and moleskin on top to absorb the sweat about 2 $ each

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: George63</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use spray glue to hold on pipe insulation and moleskin on top to absorb the sweat about 2 $ each </div></div>

I like the pipe insulation idea.. but would use 100mph tape over the top. Cheap/easy/replaceable. Not pretty but effective.

I cemented some old neoprene (from kayak outfitting) under the stock pack. It's nice and soft and gentle on the face :^)

Bob

I also have a millett LRS 56mm scope with extra high rings ( which I dont like the hight ) but its hard to find 35mm rings and they are exp$$$$

I came home today and mounted my new scope and needed to add a cheek rest. My fix was to use a piece of 1" CPVC pipe. I split the pipe and used a belt sander to get the proper scope alignment I needed and beveled the inside edges. Then I filled with Bondo put a sheet of foil on my stock and formed the Bondo to the contour of the stock. I allowed it to dry sanded the inside contour and attached it to my stock with two screws with the heads countrsunk. it looks good and fits perfect. Project time about an hour.
295xpbc.jpg

24o0l6p.jpg