• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What chronograph?

Hunter87

Private
Minuteman
May 20, 2011
Connecticut
I'm looking into buying a chronograph for load development for both .223 and .308. When I was at cabelas yesterday they had 3 different models or so to chose from. Is there one better than the others or are they relatively all equal? If someone could shed some light on chronograph info that would be much appreciated.

Dan

Re: What chronograph?

There is a huge difference in the quality and accuracy of chronographs. Like everything else in this sport, you get what you pay for.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bward</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There is a huge difference in the quality and accuracy of chronographs. Like everything else in this sport, you get what you pay for. </div></div>

I completely agree

I started cheap bought or used several lesser quality units. I wasted a lot of ammo time and money

Myself and a buddy split the Pvm one way to look at it. We live close and shoot a lot together. It's worth every penny. Saves lots of time and ammo confirming dope

Started out with a Chrony Master Gamma and was getting variances that just didn't make sense. Upgraded to an Oehler 35P and very happy with it.

I don't know the correct answer to this question, but I know that I HATED a "Shooting Chrony" that I briefly owned. Some people love this brand, but mine was a waste of space and time. It seemed that under a variety of different conditions in which I tried using it, it still only picked up 1/3-1/2 of the total shots I fired. Even then, I have my doubts about some of the readings it gave me.

For example, while shooting 175 grain SMK bullets from my .308 Win one afternoon I was getting results that were mostly in the 2,530-2,600 fps range with my hand loads (about what I expected). Then I got a string of readings in the 2,850-3,200 fps range from ammo with the exact same charge weight, that was loaded the exact same way (I absolutely guarantee I didn't push a 175 grain bullet from a 20" barrel on a .308 at 3,200 fps, or anything even close to that).

Anyway, I returned that Chrony, and will watch this thread for suggestions on a better tool for this purpose.

Buy Once, Cry Once!

http://www.magnetospeed.com/

I have tried 3 different types over the last 6-5 years, and none of them come close to doing what the MagnetoSpeed can.

PROS:
- You can set it up on a hot range, you don't need a cold range to go down and setup your Chrono

- Easy to use from any shooting position, and you do not have the difficulty of getting everything lined up

- Lighting conditions have no impact on it, and you can use it indoors

- From what I have personally seen and heard from other users, very accurate and consistent

- Great data reading/logging capabilities

It was tough for me to spend the money, but given how much your long range shooting game relies on accurate velocity numbers, and the great job the unit does, it is really a no brainer.

Best of Luck,
M Richardson

I agree on the magnetospeed. If for no other reason than you can set up on a "Hot Range" it goes to the top of my list.

Combine that with no "ambient light" issues, weather, or fluorescent light problems and it's a better chrono than the "usual suspects".

I have a Chrony and one of these days I'm just going to lower my aim pont and "drill it good". It will then become a piece of art in my reloading room, perhaps as a book end.

I have a Pact professional XP with IR sensors I like a lot but it's more complicated to set up when you have to wait for other shooters to cease fire.

It's the most used at our range after the one or two Oehler 35's and a few more CED's.

If I had the desire for another chronograph today, it would hands down be a magnetospeed.

I have used everyone made. First preference was the Oehler 35P and then the PVM 21 (but their software for me was impossible)
Then I found the Magneto Speed...so simple and easy. It gives me what I want.

+10 Magnetospeed; been using mine for a few months and haven't had a single error. Also the guys at the shop are very easy to work with and helpful. Anything happens to my current chrony I'll be buying another from them.

I had a chrony but had nothing but problems with it depending on the light, I bought a magneto speed and its one of the best investments I made, right under my giraud power trimmer.

I just ordered the Magnetospeed. I am so dang tired of waiting for a cold line at the range, setting up a tripod, fiddling with sky screens and making sure everything is just so, and then missing my reading because the chrony is getting a "reading" off the guy next me with the SKS.

I hope this thing works. I will post back if I find anything different form what others have posted. I am concerned about affixing the bayonet over the rather large brake that is on my 110BA. We shall see.

-Shaky

I have a farly large comp on my 6.5 grendel and only have the orignal style magneto sensor, the newer model has more room than mine.

4.jpg

I really like the idea of the magnetospeed but I also need to chrono pistol loads which I believe it wont do, correct?

After the PRS Final at RIfles Only I watched GAP use another shooters Magnetospeed, George was wearing out a small 3 inch plate at 500 yards, he put on the Magneto and continued wearing out the plate, I was surprised there was no POI shift given George doesn't use MTU contour barrels on his 6 Creedmore, if I needed a chronograph today the Magnetospeed would be it, but I don't and my CED M2 will continue to be my go to.

Magneto Speed also gives you true velocity at the muzzle, which is what we input into our ballistic calculators. Most other chrono's give the velocity at fifteen feet or more which can throw off your computations at extreme ranges like 2000 meters. It's always good to check your velocity by your dope anyway if shooting extreme long range.

That magneto speed looks like the one seems easy and compact setup which is nice! Rather buy once and leave it at that !

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">After the PRS Final at RIfles Only I watched GAP use another shooters Magnetospeed, George was wearing out a small 3 inch plate at 500 yards, he put on the Magneto and continued wearing out the plate,</div></div>

I am surprised about that. I would think that it would substantially change the accuracy node, or at least the POI, which is the reason I haven't been interested in one. I like multitasking, doing load development and checking velocity/spreads at the same time. If you can do both with this, I like the idea.

Maybe harmonic theory is wrong?

Is it possible to use the Magnetospeed with pistols, like a 1911 or similar?

Based on my experiences, and others, the MagnetoSpeed MAY change your POI. Per above, and talking to others, in some cases it makes NO significant change. In some cases, users have reported a shift of up to 0.5 MOA. Simple solution if you are having a POI Shift, don't try to shoot groups and measure velocity at the same time! Do one, and then do the other.

IMHO, that potential downside does not come close to outweighing the benefits, and it can be worked around if needed.

In terms of semi-auto pistols with a moving slide, NO it will not work with them. The Unit has to be mounting to a non moving part of the firearm that will keep the sensor in place in front of the barrel.

Best of Luck,
M Richardson

I found on two of my rifles that the Magnetospeed did not change POI enough to be noticeable. Last weekend I was practicing at my local club shooting steel out to 900 yds. I put the Magnetospeed on while I was practicing at the 675 yd steel targets and it did not change the POI by any noticeable amount at an 8" gong at 675 Yds. This was with an AJ Brown FN SPR with a Rock medium palma contour barrel and an AW with stock 26" barrel, both in 308.

You guys had me worried there for a minute! $275 for the magnetospeed is a damn good price if it's really that accurate. Heck, my rcbs crony was like $120 and last time i used it on a 24" 308 shooting 175 smk's showed a 10 shot string with an ES of like 850 fps! No way those pills were flying at 3250fps...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 78steeler</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Magneto Speed also gives you true velocity at the muzzle, which is what we input into our ballistic calculators. Most other chrono's give the velocity at fifteen feet or more which can throw off your computations at extreme ranges like 2000 meters. It's always good to check your velocity by your dope anyway if shooting extreme long range. </div></div>

I use Ballistic AE pretty religiously, I set the chrono distance at 10 feet in it, with my 260 Ballistic called out for 24.8 MILs at 1780 yards, and 24.8MILs was spot on, second round hit, first one was off left edge. True velocity at the muzzle is nice, but not required for precision shooting as long as the program is trued up and can accommodate that variable.

I got the Oehler 35p and Magnetospeed. The Magnetospeed is easy, reliable and seems to be accurate. Be careful, tho, I broke the buckle on mine. They replaced it pronto.

I used the average chronograph and it did ok but it was affected by the different light conditions and i felt that it was not that accurate. I bought a Magneto chronograph and it has work great and very easy to set up. I used it to work up my .308 and 5.56 loads. Check out their website, something to consider but it will cost around $250.