• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What comp for 6.5 Creedmoor?

rcmigpilot

Private
Minuteman
Nov 3, 2012
Louisiana
Getting a new rifle and need to put something in place of the thread protector so what compensators are you guys who don't run cans using on your 6.5 Creedmoor? One of the ranges I shoot at has the benches fairly close together and some comps make it uncomfortable to be at the next bench so If any of you can comment about the side blast, that would be helpful. I'm not worried about the noise, it's a gun range, it's supposed to be noisy.

Area 419, APA little or fat bastard and Insite arms heathen seem to be some of the most popular ones. I run an APA little B myself on both of my rifles and I’m happy with it.

I'm a fan of the Area 419 Hellfire. Easy timing and removal, solid recoil reduction and very tame compared to some muzzle brakes as far as blast goes.

Not to be too much of a dick but there is probably 1-2 new threads a month asking this question in the equipment section. The search feature sucks on this site so just go to google and type what you are looking for followed by snipershide IE: "best muzzle brake snipershide" and you will have a lot of topics pop up.

LonggunJr covered the top popular ones that always come up. As far as side blast...if its an effective brake its going to have side blast. No way around it.

Reactions: lawofsavage
Not to be too much of a dick but there is probably 1-2 new threads a month asking this question in the equipment section. The search feature sucks on this site so just go to google and type what you are looking for followed by snipershide IE: "best muzzle brake snipershide" and you will have a lot of topics pop up.

LonggunJr covered the top popular ones that always come up. As far as side blast...if its an effective brake its going to have side blast. No way around it.

Not taking you as a dick, I tried searching both here and on google and the was just too much off point and old information. You get every mention of comp form "threaded for muzzle brake or compensator" to "should I use a compensator when X". You get results on comps from 2005, years before the cartridge was introduced. If you include 6.5 Creedmoor you get such valuable information such as "unlike the 6.5 version...." As an example, I ran a google search with your text and got 31,700 results.

As far as side blast I know you can't have an effective comp w/o it but I look at it like performance mufflers where to get better performance you'll get more sound, but you can get good performance w/o being unbearably loud. It's been 10 years or so but I still remember the guy sitting down next to me with a 300 win mag that had a comp on it with so much side blast that all 3 other shooters stopped shooting and waited for him to leave. I swear my hat moved when he fired the first shot. I don't want to be that guy.

Area 419 is great. Love the universal mounting system. Easy to swap from brake to can. When your buddies give you hell for not being civilized with your loud ass break. Break really reduced recoil and self timing is just simple

none according to culpepper

area 419 hellfire or sidewinder, insite heathen, apa LB or FB if you ask anyone else

Reactions: Steel head
PVA Jet Blast. Less obnoxious than the APA and the Hellfire, but just as effective IMHO. Plus, it has flats on the self-timing nut so you can use a wrench versus the knurling used on some others.

The impact is really nice. Easy on and off, doesn’t foul up the crown as much as the 419 or PVA, and one of the least noisy. It’s also short, so if you use a 26-28” barrel it doesn’t make it noticeably longer.

Reactions: 6brshooter
The impact is really nice. Easy on and off, doesn’t foul up the crown as much as the 419 or PVA, and one of the least noisy. It’s also short, so if you use a 26-28” barrel it doesn’t make it noticeably longer.

That's a good point about keeping crown cleaner, and one of the reasons I like it and badger fte mini. The brakes that have the crown buried down in it make nice carbon stalagmites.