• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing What company will heat treat a receiver?

GB213

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 23, 2009
Maryland
I have a Mauser receiver that I bought for Numrich. It is suggest that I heat treat after final machining. I have email a few local companies for quotes and haven't heard anything. I suspect because it is a receiver that they may not want to get involved.
Anybody out there know a business that would do this for an individual?

Turnbull will do some for some people. You might try them. Most is CC hardening. I think that classifies as heat treating as it is the way Mauser did it as well. Good luck in your search.

The best place is Blanchards Metal Processing in SLC, Utah. They do em by the boatload. Do the bolt too. Forget the color case BS, most of the jokers that do that do not get the mechanical properties of the steel right, it's just for decoration.

Last edited:
Mauser's are cased, so are the bolts. You need to do both.

SBN from H&M Metal Finishing or MMI will do the same thing for you in this case.

Skip color-casing entirely, it leaves a lot of things questionable and it's "purdy" only. "Purdy" doesn't cut it for me when the rifle is a time bomb.

This is actually a M86 receiver that is going to be a long range / hunter. I am going to duracoat, so I am not interested in the color of the metal. I just want it to be strong enough to handle 308 and the other 7mm mag.
Does anyone know how hard it needs to be?

As long as the receiver and bolt are properly heat treated by an experienced operator, you'll be fine. Modern heat treatment facilities get far more consistent results than in the old days, when everything was pretty much done by eye.

Getting a Rockwell number on hardness with a case hardened receiver is a bit unreliable, because of the softness of the underlying substrate.

Like I said, send it to Blanchards and stop anguishing.