• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing What damage does a .50 BMG do on animals?

Gnab2

Private
Minuteman
Oct 10, 2007
Central Texas
I was thinking of taking out the OL'50cal on the deer. Has anyone used a 50BMG on deer? Do you have any pic of the damage? I would think the 750gr A-Max would be a little rough on an animal.

Thanks
Gnab2

Re: What damage does a .50 BMG do on animals?

Has been on here a few times now. There are people that do it and the damage is not as bad as one would think. There are several manufacturers that make hunting projo's in various weights.

Just don't be like the loser's on youtube wounding animals at what they think is a huge distance, and taking multiple shots to take down the animal. btw it's a round that is meant for vehicles and armor, unless handloads are used the accuracy and distance are beaten by other rounds with less trouble. Great round imo, overkill for hunting.

Well on humans a FMJ makes a hole about three fingers when it comes out. An some of them made it to the hospital.

One guy uses one on deer for crop permits. If the 50 hits bone the hole is big, real big. Deer die fast by bleeding out on bad shots. But shot placement rules. A bad shot is a bad shot. Dear are tough as hell. Shot a leg off and the f'er will run. You'll track it for miles only to see it a month latter eating your beans.

My 2¢, get a 338L or 300 RUM (or 308) better choices for deer then the 50 BMG.

I have killed deer with every call possible almost. I have never used a 50 on one. We handload A-Max and I would be shooting less than 600 yards most all my shots. I have killed with my 7Mag and 300WSM at those distances many times. Good holes and all were one shot kills. I may punish some hogs first. Just looking for pic of your shots.

all just depends on how much shoulder meat "stew" you want to ruin.

Damn, and I thought my 270 Win was over kill on deer.

I gotta admit, this sounds ridiculous. I've shot white tail with 25.06, .280, 7 mag, and .308 and can't see why more would be wanted. Agree with post above to save the 50 for some other duty.

Hog hunting may be a different story, I shot a pretty big one in the face with a 7 mag at 300 yds and he got up an hour later after I thought he was dead (was waiting for deer). 2nd shot dropped him for good, but my goal is to have a gun that will drop them on the first shot. Even then, would think the 338 could have fixed that problem.

Theres just not enough resistance to transfer all that energy to the animal. Unless you hit bone the results aren't going to be that spectacular.

wait for a head shot where it's looking away from you. then a miss is a miss and a hit is a clean kill.

Had a friend bring one hunting some fields several years ago. Modest ranges of about 350 yds. I don't know what projectile he was using but it basically punched through and through holes without much expansion at all. The 2 he shot were broadside lung shots. Not at all what I expected....related to his bullet I guess.

Hey out my way I would be wporried about carry/over penetration issues as the 50 wont even slow down going through our little deer. I have seen soft tissue damage from a 50 but not on a deer. It was very impressive and no way I would meat hunt with a 50. Just too much damage.

I've killed many deer with my 50's at varying ranges from 150 to 600 yds useing Barnes 647 X HP and the 750 Amax.No problems with meat damage if you hit them in the Head,heart or lungs.You'll have a mess with any shot that hits the shoulder.My 300 win mag with 190 VLD's does more damage than the 50 most times.Knowing whats behind your target before the shot is a definate with any caliber rifle when hunting.The 50 bmg round isn't any different than other calibers,unless your hunting with AP,inced,tracer's or all three together(APIT).Good Luck hunting with your 50.
STEVE

Might as well be the one to say it... I've heard some stupid shit in my day, but a serious discussion about shooting deer with a 50 is in the top 10. If I came across someone with a 50 hunting the same woods as my daughter and I, I would cut his stand down with him in it. The liability factor is absurdly high. Picture yourself in court trying to explain the necessity of a 50 for deer after one of your well thought out shots decapatated another hunter a quarter mile away.
I own a 50, I like it, but it has its place.

The OP didn't ask if the .50 was good for hunting where you are, he asked about terminal performance on deer. Where he is hunting it may be suitable, his profile says Texas so lighten up Francis.

As to damage, I haven't used a .50 BMG on deer but a 45-90 is not very spectacular, looks like you shoved a piece of rebar through 'em.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FlySolo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Might as well be the one to say it... I've heard some stupid shit in my day, but a serious discussion about shooting deer with a 50 is in the top 10. If I came across someone with a 50 hunting the same woods as my daughter and I, I would cut his stand down with him in it. The liability factor is absurdly high. Picture yourself in court trying to explain the necessity of a 50 for deer after one of your well thought out shots decapatated another hunter a quarter mile away.
I own a 50, I like it, but it has its place. </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shaman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Texas had a lady killed at Texas Motor Speed way by an errant .50. </div></div>

Almost true, she lost her arm not her life. The man who fired was 5 miles away (he said?). Obviously he wasn't shooting in a suitable place.

ETA: Looks like she didn't loose her arm, thank God.

Yahoo! Buzz
Woman hit by stray bullet at Texas Motor Speedway

05:06 PM CST on Monday, November 3, 2008
By DEBRA DENNIS / The Dallas Morning News
[email protected]
A stray bullet struck a woman in her camper Sunday morning at Texas Motor Speedway.

The .50-caliber bullet pierced the roof of Jill King Moss's RV, hit her arm and lodged in a wall.

The bullet's trajectory indicated that it came from a long distance away, Fort Worth police told WFAA-TV (Channel 8).

Her husband, Melvin Moss, said Monday that his wife was in good condition at Harris Methodist Fort Worth Hospital.

"She will not lose her arm. Her spirits are up. She has a lengthy recovery," he said.

"A few inches one way or the other and she wouldn't be here with us."

The Arlington couple had parked their RV at the speedway for this weekend's NASCAR Sprint Cup Dickies 500 and had planned to go autograph hunting when the bullet came flying in.

He characterized wheover fired it as "a lunatic with a high-powered, .50-caliber weapon."

"Whoever fired this has activated me for life," he said. "I'm a Second Amendment guy, but there is a limit."

One flier did a pretty good job of changing this guys mind. This is not what the shooting community needs. Common sense people.... The .45acp makes a piss poor fly swatter too.

This is a deer I took with my .50 BMG. It was 713 yards walking and hit it a little far back. The exit wound was the size of a basketball and he expelled his stomach in the 100 yards he ran before he died. The rifle used was my ALS .50 bmg and a 750 grain A-max doing about 2550 FPS out of a 33" Pac-Nor.

33jllrp.jpg
1039c2x.jpg
2hevtb6.jpg

I shot a doe at 250 with a 550 gr soft point. Perfect shot, dropped in her tracks. LOOKED like a hit from a .308. I recovered the bullet by following the cone of meat hanging in the weeds and the blood in the snow. I think the bullet expanded after it hit the dirt. The exit wound was not what I was expecting, I would say about the size of a baseball. Now the shoulders? G-O-N-E. And everything inside was liquid, I seriously didn't have to cut her organs out, they just poured out the exit wound.

cimg2676.jpg

cimg2677.jpg

Field & Stream did a really good feature on a couple who hunt elk with nothing but a Barrett. Covered shot placement, ethics, ranging, etc. Good read.

<span style="font-style: italic">EDIT: I do agree, before you touch one off you really do need to think about it, this shit goes a lllllooooonnnnnngggggg way. But you can still safely hunt with them. </span>

Here is a LITTLE buck, that I shot at 650 yards outside of Dillon Montana a few years back, got him in the throat, no wasted meat! Barrett model 99, Leupold 8.5x25x50 with BORS. 750 grain AMAX. The deer was facing down hill before the shot, he was laying on his back facing uphill after the shot! Amazing weapon! There was no entrance and exit wound, it just flat tore his throat out...no need to bleed him out, that job was done on impact.

shotbambiwiththe50-1.jpg

shotbambiwiththe50.jpg

barretfirstkill-1.jpg

barretfirstkill.jpg