• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What desert boot do you ware

Re: What desert boot do you ware

Altimas all the way. They wear out fast but feel like tennis shoes with ankle support. I always wore them for PT when I knew we were doing "boots and utes"

Lowa Zephyr

I'm on my 4th pair
smile.gif

Nike SFB's, they wear out kinda quick but awesome boots. For heavy stuff I use Rocky S2Vs.

Asolo Moran GTX for long heavy hunts or treks. Nike SFB for fast movements.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Slowagon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Asolo Moran GTX for long heavy hunts or treks. Nike SFB for fast movements.</div></div>
+1 on those Asolo's, got 2prs of those, excelent boot to me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Redleg84</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SDVIC25</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Danner USAF TFX
http://www.danner.com/dannerr-usaf-tfxr-gtxr-non-metallic-safety-toe-military-boots.html
</div></div>

This is what I wear as well, I recommend them.
Edit: I wear the tan, but the same boot.</div></div>

i also wear these they have held up well for around a year now

+1 on the Oakley's they are light and hold up very well I have three pair

+1 for the Nike SFBs

They are very light weight, excellent flexibility and well cushioned.

How rugged/heavy a boot needs to be is going to be up to the choice of the end user and application.

under armour speed freaks in multicam for me. love em

Oakley LSA boot, Lightweight comfortable good with drain ports on the sole of the boot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DeadNoise</div><div class="ubbcode-body">under armour speed freaks in multicam for me. love em</div></div>

+1 for me... Thanks to Ray from Thunderbeast...

Bill

What, no Goretex Bates? Heavy as shit, but if you are gonna be in a wet desert they sure are nice. I use them as a civilian now, just used to them I guess and they are wearing well and still waterproof after rips in the leather upper.

I saw those new Nikes, they are advertising them here at Ft. Lewis. I really wish I had those when I was actually wearing out three soles a year.

I saw a thing years ago, it could have been the Nike, and it was a new SF boot that was more molded to the foot and more like a tennis shoe for less fatigue. I'd really go with those today.

I remember feeling like shit after a 12 miler and rough feet because I'd do it with no insoles to toughen up my feet so shitty issue boots wouldn't suck as bad when I needed to do it for real.

Danners or Blackhawk work for me in the mountains. Oakleys, 511, and magnums wore out fast.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JonnyIndy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Lowa Zephyr

I'm on my 4th pair
smile.gif
</div></div>

+1. Well, I'm only on my first pair and I love them. Plus my Dad tried them out and I think he sleeps in them.

Nike all the way. Wears like a tennis shoe but still has ankle support (for those with women ankles).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">OTB Desert Lites

http://8541tactical.com/desert_lite_review.php

I love feeling the air circulate through them. </div></div>

Same here. Recently started wearing these and they have excelled at the following with very little real wear. While not always the ideal boot for where I took them, I took them:

- Mountain climbing in Kallispell and mountain hiking outside of Missoula, MT. They were completely soaked in Kallispell for a good few hours and only changed socks.

- Canyon 'exploring' and climbing in Zion National Park UT in 100+ degree weather

- Ended up walking in thigh deep water while hunting in Ohio over the coarse of 4 days, multiple times and wore them each day after letting them air dry.

- Countless hikes/hunts since.

This is all in the last 8 months. Besides a bunch of cosmetic marks (who cares) the only issues I've had were that they are a bit of a pain in the ass to take off compared to when I wore the Lowa's and I had a few areas of stitching slightly fray but was easily remedied by simply cutting the fray.

I think these are made or the company is owned/associated with New Balance.

Danner's here too. Just came home from my second pump with them. They don't seem to mind being wet and dry out pretty quick.

I am a big fan of the garmont boot. I only know of a few places they can be picked up but they fit me like a glove and are comfortable as hell. I've worn the nike boots too. They are very light and thus a little shirt on support for my tastes.

Normally I'm a Danner guy, but my most recent deployment I went with 5.11 Taclites ... hands down these are the best boots I've owned. They held up well and were light as hell. I'll definitely be buying another pair when the time comes.

5.11 Taclite 8" Coyote Boot

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Enough Said</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Merrell Sawtooth </div></div>

+1 on the sawtooth. Wore mine for break in on a 17 mile hike. First 8.5 miles was a relentless B of an ascent (4600 ft climb), then turned around and went straight back down. Did the trip in 7 hours 45 minutes. Never took the boot off, 95 degrees through most of the hike. Stayed dry, not too sweaty and also kept clean inside really well. No hot spots, even on the descent. The bottom section of lace can be locked in at separate tightness then the verticle section, allowing the perfect fit to be adjusted to your foot and terrain.

Bates Desert boots, with Vibram sole, pigskin instead of cowhide. Breath well, water resistant, very durable, good ankle support, and lightweight,lots of "rucking" in rough mountainous conditions with heavy weight. Boots have a small heel which helps when walking down slopes, stock #2950. Have worn mine everyday for over a year, still in good condition. Have probably close to 200 miles on them, in all types of terrain, no complaints.

I'm using the Tactical Research Khyber's, I like how they look and provide good support, but not much cushion and they don't breathe well at all...FWIW

If u gonna be running a lot then go with bates lites, if not danners has best ankle support if u get into rougher terrain.

Re: What desert boot do you wear?

As a backpacker in the Mojave Desert I wear the light Merrill GTX Mids (just over the ankle) since every ounce on the foot is like two on the back.

But the 5.11 boots described would be good for combat use when you want a higher, combat style boot to keep out debris. I've seen them and they are well made. I have 5.11 nylon clothing and it's excellent quality.

Remember, FIT is the key word with footwear. For humping packs you need one size <span style="text-decoration: underline">wider</span> than your street shoe size B/C feet ALWAYS widen after even one day humping a pack. Blisters between the toes are agonizing. (Don't ask...)

Danner Acadia Steel Toe Hot Weather 22505 most confortable boot I have ever worn. They have a layer of softer foam in the sole that makes them feel like athletic shoes. Much more comfortable then the insulated acadias I wear in the winter. Made in the USA.

Chris

Oakleys, I prefer the taller ones. Fit like sneakers but offer decent ankle support. Quick lace eyelets and loops make getting them on and off easy. The soles wear a little faster then the Vibram soles on somemof my other boots, but they offer good traction. The only complaint I have with them is they are a little squeaky on polished floors like terrazzo and hardwoods with a shine. Other then that I have been very happy with them.

I had a pair of danners that wore like steel, but also took a very long time to break in and feel comfortable, I still have them and wear them for working where I know they will get dirty and stained but even broken in they are not as comfortable as the oakleys. The oakleys felt great the first day I wore them.

Word of advice, the oakleys tend to run narrow, if you have the chance, try them on before you order. I wear a normal width sneaker, but had to order the wide size boot.

Those of you that have LOWA boots how is the arch support of the boot. Specifically the Zephyr. I can't stand boots with a high arch...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RFutch</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Those of you that have LOWA boots how is the arch support of the boot. Specifically the Zephyr. I can't stand boots with a high arch...</div></div>

I have very little arch and they are some of the most comfortable boots I have. I have both the water proof and non water proof and they are all I wear

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Here2Learn</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RFutch</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Those of you that have LOWA boots how is the arch support of the boot. Specifically the Zephyr. I can't stand boots with a high arch...</div></div>

I have very little arch and they are some of the most comfortable boots I have. I have both the water proof and non water proof and they are all I wear
</div></div>

Thanks for the response. Would you say the foot bed is pretty much flat?

Are the waterproof ones noticeably hotter than the non waterproof?

Thanks again.

My Lowa Zephyrs are on there second trip to the sand box. I like thema lot. Bets use if for daily use and moderit hikes with light weight.
I have the Gortex version, they hold up OK in extreme heat, but like any gortex they are not the best for extreme heat.
I just bared the worst summer yet here, and i still wore them every day. With a nice pair of murano wool socks my feet stayed fresh and did not sweat to much.

I got mine from REI, so life time warranty. I wore out a pair of super feet insoles and brought them back with a no question exchange.
The green super feets ROCK in the Zephyr, i was not a fan of the orange ones, too much arch.

I have a moderit foot for arch, typically more towards the flat side. The Zephyrs fit perfect, true to size with perfect arch.

I put this is another post, lowa has great customer service and offers 40 or 60% off to military/leo. Im sold on my zephyrs for daily/moderits hikes. Im moving to the Caminos next for a mountain boot.

-hope this helps