• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What did you do in the reloading room today?

Kisssofdeath

House of Yates
Minuteman
  • May 9, 2018
    Virginia
    Finally got 270 once fired .223 brass FL resized, deprimed, trimmed, deburred, primer pockets cleaned and uniformed. This is what happens when I let it pile up.

Attachments

• 0625192108a.jpg
      0625192108a.jpg
      396.6 KB · Views: 673
    Nice, I also have about 100 45acp and 9mm cases needing reloaded too. May get to that tonight. I wouldn't mind seeing photos of peoples reloading rooms.

Reactions: 338dude
    I tossed some spent brass from my range trip into the proper containers. I also found a piece of 280 Remington brass on my wall of fame. Now I wont have to sacrifice a new case, to make a modified case.

Nothing much lately. Been busy draining ponds, riding a tractor and planting food plots at a Duck club.

I did sort through several qt size cups of range brass and deprimed them. And sorted through a partial bucket of wheel weights.

I opened the door of my reload room so the AC can cool it off and I can set up my Thermal/AR 15!!!

But I just closed it because after working all day and finding my bottle of Captain I no longer want to play with guns lol

Maybe tomorrow!

opened the package containing the Forster Micrometer Bench rest seating die and forster full length sizing die in .243 I bought on ebay for 57 bucks and cleaned them...I"ve never seen dies that dirty. Then packaged up my standard Forster bench rest seater die an sent to buyer on ebay for 32 bucks.

Nice guys, real nice. No reloading for me this evening worked on my Vepr 7.62 and test fired 20 rounds through it.

Attachments

• 0626192026.jpg
      0626192026.jpg
      356.9 KB · Views: 368
    Put together some test loads for a .308 Win. ( OCW method ) Using Lapua LRP brass, CCI primer, 175 gr SMK, and IMR-4064.

Let us know how 40.5-41gr works ?

I shot Lapua LRP, 175 SMK, 4064 for years. Should be moving about 2650-ish MV at 90*f and 37-38 MOA at 1050 yards depending on atmospherics.

Sized 250 new pieces of 6.5cm Prime brass and fixed my Frankford Arsenal tumbler. After three years the bearing closest to the counter weight finally gave out. Found 10 bearings for $6 on amazon and after replacing two of them the thing runs amazing again.

Im going to sharpie a line around my cases for a match this weekend... thats pretty much it.

Watch out for sharpie residue in the chamber... I've been bit by that before. I only do the rim anymore. :)

Reloading for me was to crank out 110 rounds of Dasher for a club match, load 250 rounds of 223 on the Dillon for practice, start tumbling my 223 brass so I can process the brass for the next cycle since I shoot through 1k then process the entire lot. Gonna try playing with a Dillon RT1200 trimmer this next cycle to see how it does vs the Giraud.

Watch out for sharpie residue in the chamber... I've been bit by that before. I only do the rim anymore. :)
    Damn it, sharpie residue? Will it mess it up noticeably over the course of 100 rounds?
    Ive never bothered with marking cases before so this is my first sharpie experience because I didnt necessarily mind losing a piece here and there before. Now that Im onto a dasher I get the jokes and want to horde all of my precious.

Damn it, sharpie residue? Will it mess it up noticeably over the course of 100 rounds?
    Ive never bothered with marking cases before so this is my first sharpie experience because I didnt necessarily mind losing a piece here and there before. Now that Im onto a dasher I get the jokes and want to horde all of my precious.

Lolololol... yeah, you'll be crawling in the weeds looking for brass.

My experience was putting a stripe on the brass with a wide tip sharpie. Gummed up the chamber real good and started to make extraction hard. Not bolt lift hard, but sticky pulling the bolt straight back hard. Noticed it on the check in day before the PRS finale, spent the night in the hotel room cleaning off my brass with lighter fluid before the match.

Admittedly I had more sharpie on the brass than you do, but after seeing what I cleaned out of my chamber (color kept coming out patch after patch) I've got no interest in doing that anymore.

Recently been experimenting with a light load for my 5mmFBI which is a 20-221FB AI.

Normally it's sending a 32gr at 3735 fps with 18.8 gr of H4198. The light load is 7.5 gr A2400 pistol powder which produces 2300 fps. This was an effort to produce similar ballistics to 17hmr.

I went this way because of the flyers and poor vertical at farther distances common to rimfires, which I hated. I use this light load on our rimfire steel from 50Y to 161Y, then at the AR500 steel out to 400Y which has been a blast!

The advantages have been, super low recoil, low barrel heat, easy on brass, challenge in the wind, decent SD and decent vertical at distance. .3-.5" at 100Y, 1-1.25" at 200Y, etc. Plus I get to use one of my favorite rifles often now, it's a custom CZ527.

Saved me from buying a 17hmr and another scope, mounts, rings, etc!

Gotta burn through a bunch of open boxes of various 20 cal bullets I got with the rifle then I'll settle on one, buy in bulk, and load a bunch this winter once I have the load dialed in.

For people who do not have easy access to long range but have access to medium range, I suggest trying something similar to what I have done!!

Why - Basically 22rf can be frustrating at these distances (slight wind change and you're off the steel, also poor vertical even with expensive ammo) and standard 223, etc, don't provide hardly any challenge in the wind. For example my 6mmBR is flat out boring inside 400Y.

Reloading for me was to crank out 110 rounds of Dasher for a club match, load 250 rounds of 223 on the Dillon for practice, start tumbling my 223 brass so I can process the brass for the next cycle since I shoot through 1k then process the entire lot. Gonna try playing with a Dillon RT1200 trimmer this next cycle to see how it does vs the Giraud.
    This is me, rim only. I got a friend who comes over to shoot and i mark mine when we shoot the same caliber.

I got to pull 48 rounds apart because somehow I messed up and the bolt wouldn't close on them.
    Glad I'm not the only one who did this. I have a tendency to load the longest OAL possible. I chamber checked my 45 ACP once in a barrel "forget which one" and they worked great. Those 200 or so rounds wouldn't chamber in any other 45 ACP I have. Luckily all that was needed for my error was to reseat them.

Reactions: DubfromGA
    Glad I'm not the only one who did this. I have a tendency to load the longest OAL possible. I chamber checked my 45 ACP once in a barrel "forget which one" and they worked great. Those 200 or so rounds wouldn't chamber in any other 45 ACP I have. Luckily all that was needed for my error was to reseat them.

This was the first time Ive tried to full length size .308 in a couple months. I think I may not have gotten my die in far enough, and the shoulder was too long. Going to give it another shot after I get my rifle back this weekend. I loaned it to a friend for a competition.

This was the first time Ive tried to full length size .308 in a couple months. I think I may not have gotten my die in far enough, and the shoulder was too long. Going to give it another shot after I get my rifle back this weekend. I loaned it to a friend for a competition.

This reminds me of something that happened the other day when I was FL resizing my .223 brass. I had some WOLF brass not fit my chamber checker and my PMC brass did perfect. This, of course, was using the same die setting. I'll dig those out of the trash and take photos and measurements. Now I'm curious to know why this happened.

BTW, pretty nice of you to loan your rifle to anyone, even a friend.

Reactions: ReaperMedic
    Loaded 300 9mm 124gr real quick on the 1050 then loaded 100 6.5 creedmoor with 147 ELD, then shot a couple hundred 22lr.

Reactions: DubfromGA
    Loaded 300 9mm 124gr real quick on the 1050 then loaded 100 6.5 creedmoor with 147 ELD, then shot a couple hundred 22lr.
    Nice, no reloading today for me but I did fix my Kimber SVT trigger. I was getting a 1/2 lb variance in trigger pull and as you might suspect it was causing several AD's. Pulled the trigger out of the housing and whoever had it before me had tried to do a trigger job and the contact are on the trigger was not only not square but not even straight, it was round shaped. No wonder the inconsistency.

Here is my Kimber Model 82 SVT along with a target from a few weeks back. It was only made one year, 1997.

I’m loading up 100 rounds for my JHR for tomorrow. Gonna qualify for the 1000 yard range in the morning. At least, that’s the plan. I was going to go out this morning, but it was raining, and had been raining most of the night. I rolled over and went back to sleep.

Carpet in the reloading room? Please don't ever bring black powder in there, just a suggestion, not trying to tell you what to do.

Thanks you for the concern, its anti static short pile wool carpet. No black powder, theres this new fangled nitro stuff now : ) .
    Black powder lives at work with the 1.5 inch, cant be assed keeping it at home.

Thanks you for the concern, its anti static short pile wool carpet. No black powder, theres this new fangled nitro stuff now : ) .
    Black powder lives at work with the 1.5 inch, cant be assed keeping it at home.
    That's good, figured you were careful. Rarely see actual black powder these days anyway. (y)

What powder?
    Using lil gun and 225 hornadys with good results so far. I haven’t chronoed them yet just went out to test function while I let my 4 and 5 YO boys shoot the 22 for the first time. Man it was ridic quiet and fun. After a few rounds I let the kids take the ear muffs off.

Last edited:
    Using lil gun and 225 hornadys with good results so far. I haven’t chronoed them yet just went out to test function while I let my 4 and 5 YO boys shoot the 22 for the first time. Man it was ridic quiet and fun. After a few rounds I let the kids take the ear muffs off.

Not too far off from my 300 BLKout sub loads. I use 7.5 lil gun behind a 208 Gr. These are my 3 sub loads. I don't load the 296 any more. My ears tell me the lil gun and 1680 are quieter. Haven't checked velocity, all three load function perfect from my 8.5".

Attachments

• 0629192310.jpg
      0629192310.jpg
      505.8 KB · Views: 240
    Using a single-stage press, sized and decapped 712 pieces of Lake City .223 then de-crimped them on a Dillon Super Swage.

On ebay, I see a "Swage It" tool that would let me swage primer pockets on my Dillon 550b. Does anyone here use it? I'm thinking for the price of the tool and a die plate, I could do this in half the time.

Not too far off from my 300 BLKout sub loads. I use 7.5 lil gun behind a 208 Gr. These are my 3 sub loads. I don't load the 296 any more. My ears tell me the lil gun and 1680 are quieter. Haven't checked velocity, all three load function perfect from my 8.5".
    I’ve got some 1680 but haven’t tried it yet. Seems the consensus is lil gun is quieter but 1680 runs the system easier. I grabbed it in case the lil gun gave me trouble but every round has cycled fine so far.