• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What direction to point wind meter

49er

Private
Minuteman
Jun 19, 2008
Can you avoid the 1/2, 1/4, etc wind strength calculations by just pointing the wind meter directly toward the target
and using that figure as your wind speed?

A wind meter has to Meter, the, wind.

Aim it so it gets a full reading of the wind, what ever direction it may be. Then apply that to your shooting solution.
The wind at target and through the entire distance of the rounds flight may be different.

So acount for that too. .

You can avoid the cosine value calculations with a Kestrel's properly calibrated compass. You simply capture the azimuth to target, then measure the wind (by pointing directly into direction of wind), and then it'll spit out your wind correction. Using the modernized wind rose is probably just as fast though.

You can avoid the cosine value calculations with a Kestrel's properly calibrated compass. You simply capture the azimuth to target, then measure the wind (by pointing directly into direction of wind), and then it'll spit out your wind correction. Using the modernized wind rose is probably just as fast though.
Beat me to it. I usually recalibrate mine evertime i shoot. It gets very close.