• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What distance does case capacity

hrsuhd

Private
Minuteman
Mar 15, 2009
What distance does case capacity start to have a noticable affect. I have several brands of case and have started seperating them but am just getting into the longer ranges.

Re: What distance does case capacity

Caliber specfic. .308

In the 308 Winchester has about the largest with Hornady about the same, Lapua will be a little less and Lake City the least. Not sure about new production lake city, my understanding is federal is now the contractor, the LC brass I have was made before they started producing it. Not sure where the branded Federal and Remington fit in. But in my experience Federal tends to be a little soft and because of that longevity suffers.

As to what distance it will have an advantage. Beats me.

I have shot them all at distance, except Remington. Lapua tends to give me higher velocity than Winchester even though I am using a slightly lower powder charge.

My LC is so significantly less I must reduce by about a full grain to a grain and a half and that I can see a clear 50-75 fps (slower) difference in. If I don’t reduce the charge it will be way over pressure.

Individual ase capacity variance affects individual cartridge velocity and is important at all distances. What can't be consistant also can't be accurate.

IMHO, if case capacity due to production variences is critical to accuracy at extreme distances, that is an indication that the chambering itself is inadequate.

IMHO, the.308 has a good capacity, but the .30 cal version (.308 Win) uses that capacity at only a marginal degree of efficiency for 1Kyd target shooting. The same capacity works far more effciently in the 6.5 version (.260 Rem).

Ideally, a chambering will be critical to individual charge weights, and not to individual production case capacity variances. For .260 Rem, my preference is for necking down Winchester 7mm-08 brass.

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hrsuhd</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What distance does case capacity start to have a noticable affect.</div></div>

300 yards. At 300 yards one can tell the difference between 308, 30-06, and 300 WM.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I have several brands of case and have started seperating them but am just getting into the longer ranges. </div></div>

If you mean 1 set of cases for 1 caliber, then there is basically no difference in case capacity AFTER you figure out how much charge to drop in the case. That is there will be a difference in capacity and chargeweight, but the ballistics will be essentially the same. For example: Consider WIN 308 cases versus Lapua 308 cases. One gets 47.8 gr Varget, the other gets 47.4 gr Varget, and both produce almost identicle MVs, pressure curves, trajectories,...

Thanks for all the help. So basicly I need to load each group of cases for their own preformance and run a dope card for the load.

I have about 600(lc/win/rp/fc ect) cases and I have grouped them in lots of 100 by brand Right now I'm pretty solid out to 300yrds with an old Wards mauser action.
I have gotten a savage Fcp-k and plan on going out to about 600. I hate to get rid of that many cases but maybe fresh brass might be the ticket.
Any thoughts?

Once you find a good load, use it for the old cases, as one-time throwaway loads; never know when they could come in handy. They'll shoot to, or close to, zero; and you won't lose any sleep if some of the cases get lost.