• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What distance should I sight in to given the following boundary conditions?

ceruleanblue

Alterius non sit qui suus esse potest
Minuteman
Mar 23, 2019
Amigos:

If I shoot above 200 meters and up to 500 meters, what distance should I sight to?
...and if I shoot above 200 meters and up to 800 meters, what distance should I sight to?

I have been using a sight in of 100 meters, but I find that when i sighted in to 200 meters my total scores improved. Thus, what is the theoretical ideal sight in distance if I know my shortest and longest ranges? I have the feeling that it will be the shortest distance I expect to shoot because of my return to zero turrets.

The goal is best results on steel targets.

Thanks in advance

Migs

Amigos:

If I shoot above 200 meters and up to 500 meters, what distance should I sight to?
...and if I shoot above 200 meters and up to 800 meters, what distance should I sight to?

I have been using a sight in of 100 meters, but I find that when i sighted in to 200 meters my total scores improved. Thus, what is the theoretical ideal sight in distance if I know my shortest and longest ranges? I have the feeling that it will be the shortest distance I expect to shoot because of my return to zero turrets.

Thanks in advance

Migs
Thread Titles like that do not help 2A

Amigos:

Thanks in advance

Migs

You are over-complicating and over-thinking this.

Zero your rifle at 100 meters. Set your scope's elevation adjuster so it reads "0" when you're on target at 100 meters. Use your ballistics data to adjust your scope elevation up to whatever other distance you're shooting at.

When you're done shooting, bring your scope's elevation back to "0", which will bring you right back on target at 100 meters.

You are over-complicating and over-thinking this.

Zero your rifle at 100 meters. Set your scope's elevation adjuster so it reads "0" when you're on target at 100 meters. Use your ballistics data to adjust your scope elevation up to whatever other distance you're shooting at.

When you're done shooting, bring your scope's elevation back to zero, which will bring you right back on target at 100 meters.
YES, and thank you. I have done this. What I'm trying to do now is optimize. Because I compete with some fellows that have sighted in at the minimum competition range of 200m, these guys are killing it hit after hit. I feel as though 100m sight in has left me at a disadvantage.

Thread Titles like that do not help 2A
Sorry about that. I'm and engineer and I should have said "Boundary Conditions" but I feel I would have confused many. No intent to use a word like "Border" in a strange way.-Migs

YES, and thank you. I have done this. What I'm trying to do now is optimize. Because I compete with some fellows that have sighted in at the minimum competition range of 200m, these guys are killing it hit after hit. I feel as though 100m sight in has left me at a disadvantage.
If this makes the difference between success and failure you have much to learn grasshopper

There are likely numerous other factors that account for them "killing it" and likely has nothing to do with a 200m zero.

Their zero is not why they are beating you.

You cannot "optimize" a zero

Your problem is one of three things:
  1. Those guys are just better than you
  2. Your scope's adjustments are not as precise as you think they are
  3. All of the above
I will say this one last time. Stop wasting your time with this zero distance bullshit. That's not why you're being defeated.

If this makes the difference between success and failure you have much to learn grasshopper
You might be surprised master, but when I sighted in at 100 m I was off by the middle of a tenth of a mil. At 200 m which I tried for shits and giggles yesterday I was spot on - on paper at 200. Maybe its mental. That's why I'll have to ruminate about your response. Can you elaborate? Or better yet advise? -Thanks! - Migs
Their zero is not why they are beating you.

You cannot "optimize" a zero

Your problem is one of three things:
  1. Those guys are just better than you
  2. Your scope's adjustments are not as precise as you think they are
  3. All of the above
I will say this one last time. Stop wasting your time with this zero distance bullshit. That's not why you're being defeated.
It must be that right now I'm so wrapped up in the technological that I don't hold the rifle consistently. Other odds and ends like that. All in the poetry of a rifle shot. -Migs

Sorry about that. I'm and engineer and I should have said "Boundary Conditions" but I feel I would have confused many. No intent to use a word like "Border" in a strange way.-Migs
No need for that, I’m dumb for not understanding your post at first.

Reactions: ceruleanblue
You might be surprised master, but when I sighted in at 100 m I was off by the middle of a tenth of a mil. At 200 m which I tried for shits and giggles yesterday I was spot on - on paper at 200. Maybe its mental. That's why I'll have to ruminate about your response. Can you elaborate? Or better yet advise? -Thanks! - Migs
I had a better centered group at 200m then at 100m. Ideas?
Assuming you mean your windage is off 1/2 of 1/10 of a mil? So your you were off 1/20mil or about 0.18" from zero at 100?

I'm as much of a rookie learner as anyone, but I can ASSURE you that your zero is not off at 100 and on at 200. You either have parallax or enough environmental effects to cause this illusion.

Unless you are referring to elevation vs the x ring of a target maybe?...
But if this is the case I think you'll need to learn to hold the rings and favor high or low unless you plan to get a more target oriented scope that adjusts in 1/20mil or 1/8moa

The only reason I can see to zero at other than 100, and many will disagree w even this, is a reasonably short range hunt. ie, eastern whitetail deer, where a 200 zero will give me pretty much pint blank range from 50-200 and a reasonable hold over of about 4” for 250 which is really about as far as I will generally have to take a shot.

this is not your case so just zero at 100 and everything is a clean dial up or hold over, no?

I always sight in at 100 now. Used to sight in further for bigger guns like the 338 LM. However at 100 you get less factors like wind and I can sight at my house vs needing to drive to a further range

Only reason I’d see to sight in at further range is if your running a base that won’t allow you to zero at 100 or would have your scope near bottomed out to do so. ELR rifles come to mind

Yeah your bullet is waking up until 200m.
D882042E-EC3C-409B-AF42-8DDA1D6E119D.gif

Assuming you mean your windage is off 1/2 of 1/10 of a mil? So your you were off 1/20mil or about 0.18" from zero at 100?

I'm as much of a rookie learner as anyone, but I can ASSURE you that your zero is not off at 100 and on at 200. You either have parallax or enough environmental effects to cause this illusion.

Unless you are referring to elevation vs the x ring of a target maybe?...
But if this is the case I think you'll need to learn to hold the rings and favor high or low unless you plan to get a more target oriented scope that adjusts in 1/20mil or 1/8moa
Yes, the group was on center at 200m vs barely off to the left at 100m. It could be wind. Makes me wonder. Maybe my fundamentals (or lack thereof) might have also contributed.

There are two ways of thinking about this. One approach is to just zero at 100 meters because it is standard, and you won't have anything special to remember or explain to anyone else using that rifle.

The other approach is to use a battlesight zero, so that the arc of the bullet stays within some nominal region out to a particular range. Within that range, there is no need for holdover. For an AR15, this is typically a 300 meter zero. Incidentally, this is what "point blank range" actually means.

The other thing that messes with people's minds is too much zoom at short distance(100m), your brain seeing impacts imparts NPA adjustments.

For your edification, since you are the OP or author of this thread, you can correct and edit the title by going into your first post and editing the title.
You said it! That part went through my mind as well. Wind!
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

For your edification, since you are the OP or author of this thread, you can correct and edit the title by going into your first post and editing the title.

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
Done!

Reactions: lash