• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes What distance to zero at?

BIPMaster

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 20, 2010
Arkansas
I built an 18" precision AR15 last year, and topped it with a Leupold MK4 3.5-10X40 mil-dot scope. They first time I shot it was on my dads property, and the furthest I could get was about 60-ish meters. Yesterday I was on a 100m range so I could properly zero the scope. However, I am stuck on what distance to zero at. I don't foresee being able to go out past 300m anytime soon, so based on that range should I zero the scope at 50m or 100m and then work my dope from there? Any help would be appreciated, as I am still getting into any kind of long range shooting other than 300m ranges with the Army.
Thanks!!

Re: What distance to zero at?

A 100 yard/meter zero is generally fine for shooting at any distance.

100 yards. I would be willing to bet that most people here would recommend 100yards also.

To take advantage of most mil-dot charts and slide cards, 100yds is pretty standard. I'm not sure about what other cell phones are supported, however iPhones there are several options for ballistic calculators, I picked MD Ballistics. It seem to be very user friendly and works great.

If you are precision shooting - 100 yards. If this is a shtf gun a 50 yard zero will keep you within 4 inches out to 300 yards without adjustment, i believe.

Brian litz has an amazing book with ballistics calculator software included and extensive bullet bc data. I wish he or Berger would release an iphone app. I would pay $10 for it.

Ok, 100m is what I was going for but I wanted to make sure. I was also trying out a few different factory loads to see how the rifle liked them. Probably will stick with BH blue box 75gr OTM as the rifle grouped them well. Thanks all for the help.

I zero at 200y to get the most range that I can shoot a critter without having to adjust elevation. For shooting deer it is around 250 yards before I have to add much elevation.

With a 100 yards zero I would be 5 inches low at 200 and 9 inches low at 250.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SGT Ticklefight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Brian litz has an amazing book with ballistics calculator software included and extensive bullet bc data. I wish he or Berger would release an iphone app. I would pay $10 for it. </div></div>

Shooter is available on both android and iPhone/iPad:
http://shooter.kndy.net/

Bryan,
I have Ballistic FTE on my I-Phone.
What I don't like about it's inability for it to list the drop and drift correction in 1/4MOA.
It will only give the exact MOA correction-I don't want that.
I want what the scope adjustments can do-1/4MOA increments. That is how my scope turrets adjust. They cannot adjust 8.15 MOA or 11.9 MOA--They only adjust in 1/4 MOA.
Also can your software list only the the distance, and drop and drift?
There are times where I do not want to see, drop in inches, energy in ft pounds, TOF, and drop in inches from the bore.

Can it be set-up where I only have listed Distance in 25 yard or 50 yard increments, Drop in MOA and Drift in MOA (1/4 MOA increments)?
Yds--Drop----Drift
750--U13.25--R2.75

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bryan Litz</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SGT Ticklefight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Brian litz has an amazing book with ballistics calculator software included and extensive bullet bc data. I wish he or Berger would release an iphone app. I would pay $10 for it. </div></div>

Shooter is available on both android and iPhone/iPad:
http://shooter.kndy.net/ </div></div>

I sight in at 100 yds and then use my reticle to adjust as far out as possible. Once my mildot is tapped out, I use my turret to adjust for the longer shots. When I do adjust my turret, i adjust from 100 yds to POA. This way, all i need to remember is how far I can go in MILS and then at what point I need to switch to the turret to gain enough elevation for the long shot.

Ernie,

Ballistic FTE will give you MOA, 1/2 clicks, 1/4 clicks and 1/8 clicks, milrad etc, for elev and wind? This can be found on the Trajectory page and on the heads-up page under output options.

The 50/200 zero is a combat zero, meaning no holdover out to 300 meters, which will keep all M855 rounds within a pie plate (which is good enough for center-of-mass infantry work.

Use a 100-meter (or yard) zero for doped precision work.

I use a 100yd zero and found that at 50yds I can bust clay Targets with no problem. And if I aim at the center I just punch the center out and leave the ring.

Zero at 100. Anywhere you go from there you will be dialing up whether it be to 300 yards or 10 yards.

Once my friend gets his vortex I will be zeroing his rifle at 25/300 yards. I will be using the M4 zero target so he can shoot pretty much from 10 to 300 with out dialing up or down. I just hope my theory about this works out. I zero my eotechs the same way and my 1-4 scopes are zero at 100 which I will also being playing around with the luppy zombie scope as well.

Thanks!
I will purchase it.
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Birdhunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Ernie,

Ballistic FTE will give you MOA, 1/2 clicks, 1/4 clicks and 1/8 clicks, milrad etc, for elev and wind? This can be found on the Trajectory page and on the heads-up page under output options. </div></div>