• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What distances are you shooting your 260's

Mine stays supersonic to about 1450yrds with 139gr lapua scenars and 43gr of H4350. I regularly shoot out to 1000yrds, but last weekend we ranged a target at 1385yrds and hit it on the second shot and then followed it up with 3 more hits. Target was about 36"x36".. I absolutly love both those rounds. (260 & 6.5) They are so much flatter shooting than a 308 and have a lot less recoil, so spotting your impact is easy. The only thing i have to complain about is there is no more H4350 powder anywhere.. So the answer to your question of me being supersonic out to 1450yrds is with a load that soon I will not be able to shoot anymore because of supplys. So who knows what distance is going to be reasonable when i am forced to switch to a totaly differant load.

I originaly got a Savage LRP in 6.5 Creedmoor and its a great rifle, but my buddies are all 260 guys so I ended up switching over. So now i have a 6.5 creedmoor with a threaded barrel, 400-450 pieces of brass, barrel wrench, goguage, loading dies, and a bunch of other crap collecting dust. HAHAH live and learn..

Mine stays supersonic to about 1450yrds with 139gr lapua scenars and 43gr of H4350. I regularly shoot out to 1000yrds, but last weekend we ranged a target at 1385yrds and hit it on the second shot and then followed it up with 3 more hits. Target was about 36"x36".. I absolutly love both those rounds. (260 & 6.5) They are so much flatter shooting than a 308 and have a lot less recoil, so spotting your impact is easy. The only thing i have to complain about is there is no more H4350 powder anywhere.. So the answer to your question of me being supersonic out to 1450yrds is with a load that soon I will not be able to shoot anymore because of supplys. So who knows what distance is going to be reasonable when i am forced to switch to a totaly differant load.

I originaly got a Savage LRP in 6.5 Creedmoor and its a great rifle, but my buddies are all 260 guys so I ended up switching over. So now i have a 6.5 creedmoor with a threaded barrel, 400-450 pieces of brass, barrel wrench, goguage, loading dies, and a bunch of other crap collecting dust. HAHAH live and learn..

There's AA4350 around, very similar, fairly temp insensitive.

Joe

I've shot mine out to 700 (kind of seems insignificant to the 1350 posted above) and it was definitely well within the caliber's capability. It took 4.7 mil of elevation from my 100yd zero to get there. If I could shoot any farther I'm sure I could reach something closer to that 1350 with some practice:). I shoot 139gr Lapua silver jackets, with h4350. I'm in the same boat as the above poster as far as powder.

only 1250yds so far with excellent with excellent results, 1100yds on a fairly regular basis though. Only took the 6.5 Creedmoor in an AR 10 to 1100 yds with very good results also.

There's AA4350 around, very similar, fairly temp insensitive.

Joe

Funny you say that, I just picked some up yesterday. I was completely unaware that it is damn close to H4350. From what I read on blogs, you can come damn close to keeping same load as H4350. It's just difficult because the H4350 shoots so damn great out of my rifle.

I've got a 6.5CM; no problem reaching 1100 yrds. I haven't shot past 1100...but, if I recall correctly my load goes sub-sonic around +- 1300yrds. YMMV

Funny you say that, I just picked some up yesterday. I was completely unaware that it is damn close to H4350. From what I read on blogs, you can come damn close to keeping same load as H4350. It's just difficult because the H4350 shoots so damn great out of my rifle.

I'm sure the charge weight won't be exactly the same but the burn characteristics are very similar so you should get equal accuracy.
Also (according to Hodgdon) AA4350 has the least temperature sensitivity (except for H4350, of course) of similar powders from zero to 125 degrees F shown in the chart below.

Joe

Attachments

• 3006graph.gif
    3006graph.gif
    2.3 KB · Views: 15
I don't mean to highjack the thread, but what kind of muzzle speeds do you guys have and what bullet brand are you using?

I've got an accuracy node at 40.5gr and at 42gr of H4350... I've been shooting 40.5gr to conserve a little powder. I didn't have any pressure issues with 42grs...it just wasn't worth it for me right now to limit the life of my brass and throat.

26" Bartlein, 142SMK, 2660fps @ 40.5gr

I highly recommend H414 / W760 if you can't find H4350. Check hodgdons load data... nearly the same velocities and since it's a ball powder it meters very very well. It's also accurate as hell. Consistent .5-.6 moa groups with a stock DPMS gas gun. I can't comment on the temp sensitivity, as it's always hot here in Texas, but I haven't had any issues shooting consistent groups between 75 and 100 degrees.

I still haven't taken it out past 300, but but I'm going to go to 1000 in the next month or so.

Love to hear more about the powders used/loads if possible, and the rifles used in the short 19 and 20" guns, PM me if preferred. Thanks.

thanks for all the good load information, since I just picked up a new 260 to reach out a little further than my present 308.

Thanks. I actually bought 1lb of the aa4350 and loaded a few rounds and went and shot it. It shoots really well. I noticed no differance between that and the H4350. So i went back and bought 5 more lbs of it. HAHAHA.. i would of bought more but thats all they had. Definatly a good substitute for the H4350. I highly recomend it..... unless you live near me, then i recomend not buying any powder that i might need. HA!!

was using 43.2gr of H4350 with 139gr Lapua Scenars out of a 20" Kreiger at 2500ish ft of elevation and chrono 2835fps.. I have not run the new AA4350 loads over a chrono yet. But i am very currious to see how close the numbers are.

I'm running Necked down Nosler 7-08 brass. I bought the Nosler because it has a little thicker neck than the Remington 7-08 brass, my neck diameter of the chamber is .295 and the loaded rounds are .293. Some people would say its a little tight but I'm hardly working the brass at all.

I am shooting very consistently at 1000 have had hits out to 1400 yards. Shot at one mile one time, wind was at about 25 mph and decided no more shooting at that distance.

So we went out shooting ELR this weekend with my friends 408 cheytac and i brought along my 260 to see what i could do. conditions were roughly a 5mph head wind, and pressure was 29.85.. We started at 1400yrds and after throwing a few 419gr projectiles down range at 2900fps, i decided to get back behind my 260 so my shoulder diddnt fall off.. I sent the first round down range and call was 1.5mils low from center of target. second shot (klang!!) hit.. third, fourth, fith, sixth... kanlg klang klang klang... whoo hoo.. very comfortable at 1400 yrds, especialy since i go trans sonic at anywhere from 1425-1450ish range.. so we packed up the gear and target cam and skipped a mile and went strait out to 2020yrds.. After beating myself up on the cheytac for a few rounds i grabbed the 260 and decided to try my luck. With 25mils of up in my scope and using 8 mils in the retical i sent the first round. Buddy on the target camera could hear the round hit the ground and tumble away but no call. Thats the way it went for the next 15 shots. With the head wind starting to pick up and my bullet only traveling 847fps at that distance I just dont think it was going to happen. Im sure if i kept throwing rounds at it that i would eventually hit it but it would of been total luck. My buddies who were shooting their 338edge's were pretty consistantly at that range. I will definatly try again next time we run out that far. We ended up going out to just under 2600yrds and supprisingly we had no issues with the camera picture at that range. The 338 Edges and 408 cheytac all smacked the gong a couple times, so we packed up and headed home.. Im going to try and do the mile match out here this next weekend just for shits and giggles. But i gotta say, the 260 at 2000yrds is just flat out of gas.. hahah

here is a couple pics of my 260, and one of my friends son having some fun behind the trigger.

Just starting out reloading and have shot my 260 to 900 yards easily. DTA SRS 26" barrel with muzzle brake. H4350 43.3gr in Lapua brass and 136gr Lapua Senar L BTHP at 2960 fps.

More h 4350 is used than any I guess, but for accuracy I can't find anything in my 24" Krieger better than h4831sc. I'm getting 2820 with 140 hybrids, and 2750 with 139's. Just got the 136's and tried re17 and was getting 2900 with no pressure signs. All burn rates show re17 the same as h4350. H4350 does shoot well with 139's, and better velocity, but I think 4831sc was made for my tube.
Also if you get the chance just for kicks try 4064. Dan at OCW told me to try it, and it was a .25 gun all day long to 400. Lot's of powders work well in the 260, and for shooting steel esp at a 36x36" plate every one of the mentioned powders has no problems getting there. Out of the 10 guys I shot with yesterday, they all used 4831sc except for 3. BTW furthest steel (1120yds) g hog (775yds).

I havent taken it as far as I can. Still load developing in my 260 tactical. Best so far is 140 bergers.. target vld or hunting vld... 41gr H4350 lapua brass and federal match primer... it shoots good, but is not hole for hole out at 200 to 400 yards so im not exactly happy yet. What makes bug holes hard for me is the thick cross hairs in my steiner military 5x-25...

Yesterday I shot about .75 inch groups outside to outside of bullet holes at 300 yards... a few half inch 3 shot groups and 2 two shot groups that went .25 inch....

Im still messing with it though.... I havent messed with bullet seating yet. I was wondering about 4831sc but h4350 seems to be very popular... I want to get where I have consistant .25 inch groups at 300.

1400 yards at a 16" steel diamond shaped plate is farthest I have made hits out to with my GAP built .260 Rem. 700, 26" Bartlein barrel and 139gr Scenars. Never tried any farther than that with the 260.

Shot mine yesterday out to 1K making a few 8 inch head shots. From the beginning I've been using 41 grains of N550, but I'm now at the end of my last container of N550, so I'll be switching to H4350 like everyone else. My Creedmoor ran neck and neck with my 260 up to 600 yards. After that I needed a little more elevation at equal distance. I'm using 41.5 grains of H4350 in the Creedmoor, and it was the first time I handloaded for it. Until now I was using Hornady factory ammo. The handloads were identical in performance to the factory stuff, nothing changed.

H4350 (can't remember off the top of my head how many grains)
Lapua cases
139 Scenars
23" BBL
2775 muzzle

I've shot it out to 1585y and it was tumbling at that distance. Had a few hits on 24x24 steel with sideways impacts. I'll shoot my .260 at 1200y or less.