• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

what do I have?

goldy1

Private
Minuteman
Jul 18, 2007
henderson, ky
I've had this 22 fora few months and it shoots pretty well, but I dont know much about it. the only markings on it say ranger 22 long rifle. It camewith an aftermarket (homemade)benchrest stock. I stuck a weaver fixed 36x on it and shoot mostly at 200 on steel.

Re: what do I have?

Pictures buddy...

ranger.jpg

Does it look like that maybe? If so, it's made by Sears I think.
Heres a link to get you to where I found that. Good luck.

look in the site information thread to tell you how to put pics up site its kind of hard to tell what kind of gun it is if there no pics im sure someone can tell you what it is if u put a pic up

Without any more information I'm going to say you probably have a Stevens Ranger .22 also made for Sears and Roebuck among other catalog companies as just "Ranger .22".

They were made from the late 40's all the way to the 70's in one form or another.

Ranger 22 were made by serval different companies stevens , marlin, winchester,savage just to name a few. However there should be a model # on it . Check out Hoosier Gun Works Online Catalog. This is likely a Savage/Stevens Model 416 sold through
SEARS. I cant really tell you without pics though...

Th extra stock it came with looks like the top one in the picture. It Has the hooded front sight aperture just like that too. .

How does it shoot? I would hold on to that if it was mine. If your ever interested in seliing it let me know.

Go shoot!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: goldy1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've had this 22 fora few months and it shoots pretty well, but I dont know much about it. the only markings on it say ranger 22 long rifle. It camewith an aftermarket (homemade)benchrest stock. I stuck a weaver fixed 36x on it and shoot mostly at 200 on steel. </div></div>

A lot of rifles were sold by Sears under the Ranger name, most have a model number on them, the ones just marked RANGER .22 LONG RIFLE were made by Stevens, the barreled action is the same as the Stevens 416, the stock is slightly different that those that came on the 416's. They shoot very well. The picture below has a Ranger on top, a Stevens 416 in the middle, and a Mossberg 144US on the bottom.

guns4.jpg

Today using federal auto match at 200 it shot a 3 5/8" nine shot group. Most of that was wind. I'm going to try again and see how it goes. I know its an old rifle but its accurate. I'm rally thinking its a stevens 416 then. That stock is exactly like he one have. thank yu for putting that picture up.