• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes What do I need? 5.5-22 vs. 8-32 Nightforce.

zgilbert

Private
Minuteman
Apr 14, 2008
Rincon,GA
I am wanting to update optics. I have a .308 and plan on shooting out to 1000yds mainly for competition. Do I need 5.5-22 or 8-32? Right now I have a junk Famous Maker 8-32 scope and don't like shooting 100 yard to 300 yards with it. I have a very small site picture because of the higher magnification or the junkyness of the scope, I don't know which. So therefore I need the advise of others. Thanks in advance!

I have a 5.5-22 ON MY 308 If you are going to shoot F Class then I would go with the 8-32

What type of competitions will you enter?

For F-class, the 8-32 is the better choice. For practical/tactical matches, the 5.5-22 is a better choice.

Before dropping $1800+, do more research and think through what you need the scope to do. The NXSs are great all around scopes, but there are other great options for similar money.

Spend a little more and get an ATACR 5-25x. It offers a little more magnification with a lot better glass.

I have the NXS 8-32 and it is not as clear as my friends Sightron SIII. The two are comparable at 25X but after that, the nightforce gets cloudy.

I put an 8-32 in my 6.5 and absolutely love it. It's very clear until you start getting into low light areas and try using higher magnification. I'm considering a Vortex razor 4.5-27 as my next scope. It took me months of holding my cash until I finally made a decision.