• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision What do I need for a thermal helmet setup

Well a thermal designed to mount to a helmet would be a good start. The reapv2 20mm is designed strictly as a weapons mountable thermal. You can also hold it in your hand.

For helmet mountable thermals these days ...

Trijicon Patrol M300W
Trijicon Reapv1 35mm
Trijicon SNIPE 35mm
Trijicon Skeet

FLIR Breach

==

Now I'm not saying you cannot MAKE anything work. In which case, setup your 3D printer and your Solid Works CAD software .. ..design some parts, print some parts and test and repeat until you have a mount that works and doesn't break too often.

Well a thermal designed to mount to a helmet would be a good start. The reapv2 20mm is designed strictly as a weapons mountable thermal. You can also hold it in your hand.

For helmet mountable thermals these days ...

Trijicon Patrol M300W
Trijicon Reapv1 35mm
Trijicon SNIPE 35mm
Trijicon Skeet

FLIR Breach

==

Now I'm not saying you cannot MAKE anything work. In which case, setup your 3D printer and your Solid Works CAD software .. ..design some parts, print some parts and test and repeat until you have a mount that works and doesn't break too often.

you forgot the iray mh25

Actually I didn't. But I haven't had good luck with chinese thermals, so not recommending or suggesting them at this time ...
I wasn't too fond of the Iray either. I wasn't a fan of the lag it has while scanning

I find that the MH 25 has the best image I've ever seen through a thermal optic, far exceeding even the trijicons and N visions that I've owned (including the UTM and UTC), and the refresh rate to not be terrible. It makes a great scanner and I've used it on more than several hunts now as my main scanner. Still holding strong even in below freezing conditions.

Last edited:
Reactions: Eliteuas
How bad was the lag?

Please tell us a little more description of what you experienced.
The lag is very obvious while scanning side to side. They advertise it as a 50hz refresh rate but I believe that to be inaccurate. I would say 30hz in most major brands (flir, pulsar, trijicon) would have a better refresh rate while scanning than the iray.
Some people seem to really like the iray, not sure how much of that is warranted and how much isn't. I will continue to use it as a scanner and may change my mind; but I believe a breach would be almost as useful (and cheaper) option for just detection, but not nearly as good of clarity.

Reactions: WhereNow&How
The lag is very obvious while scanning side to side. They advertise it as a 50hz refresh rate but I believe that to be inaccurate. I would say 30hz in most major brands (flir, pulsar, trijicon) would have a better refresh rate while scanning than the iray.
Some people seem to really like the iray, not sure how much of that is warranted and how much isn't. I will continue to use it as a scanner and may change my mind; but I believe a breach would be almost as useful (and cheaper) option for just detection, but not nearly as good of clarity.
I ran the utc xii on 30 hZ compared to the iray, and the 30hZ on the UTC is notably worse than the iRay.

Reactions: mikefraz
I ran the utc xii on 30 hZ compared to the iray, and the 30hZ on the UTC is notably worse than the iRay.
I know in another thread you had taken several pics and videos through the the mh25, did you make any showing it scanning side to side?

Here's what I use ...

(get the dove tail with two pvs-14 mounting arms ... )

==
And

The Mod Armory/Norotos stuff has zero wobble even after six years of use ... though mount in question out that far is earlier TATM. The lo sto is the newer, smaller, lighter one.