• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

What do I need to start?

Justinray

Private
Minuteman
Sep 9, 2013
I want to get into reloading for cost and precision reasons, and want to know what I need to get.
I plan on immediately starting reloading 45acp, 40s&w, 30-06, and .280 rem.
and later on 223, 308, and 7.62x39.
What do I need? Is there a starter kit? Dies? Im lost.

Start by reading all of the stickies at the top of this page, this should give you a pretty good idea of the equipment you need.

There are starter kit and you can reload with just those plus the dies for your caliber but they lack many if the tools you need to actually reload "precision ammo". I only load for rifles so I can not tell you what additional tools you need for handgun ammo.

If you look under this forum you will find equipment recommendations from more experience reloaders than me. There are several topics on this same issue that should be fairly easy to find but since no one has replied I will give you some starting info.

This is a list of reloading equipment that I have and I feel you need these tools at a minimum to reload precision ammo. Most of any if the big name companies (Lyman, lee, hornady, RCBS) can be substituted in place of the brands I use.

RCBS rock chucker supreme deluxe kit (includes the following)
- Rock chucker supreme
single stage press
- RCBS case trimmer
- RCBS universal hand
priming tool
- RCBS range master 750
Digital scale (would
substitute good beam scale)
- powder measure
- bullet tray
- bullet lube and lube pad

A kit is a good place to start it will have your major components but you will have to add to it to be able to actually load precision ammo. These are the additional items I use.

-Lyman case prep tools, this comes in a black zippered case and has the following in it: small and large primer pocket uniformer, chamfering tool, vld chamfer/reamer tool, large and small primer pocket cleaner, large and small primer pocket reamer.

- good set of calipers
- hornady head space gauge
- hornady bullet comparator
- primer hole deburring tool
- proper bullet holder for type of ammo you will be reloading to use on press
- full length sizing die or neck sizing die for rounds you are loading (I use full length)
- seating die for round you are reloading
- something to clan your brass with, I use hornady ultra sonic cleaner and it work really well.
- reloading manuals, as many as you can get your hands on especially for powder and bullets you plan on using

I believe those are all the tools I use and like I said these are what you probably need at a minimum. There are other tools I would like but don't have yet.

Stick with good single stage presses for precision ammo, you may want progressive press for handgun ammo.

Obviously you will also need bullets, powder, primers and brass. Look under the reloading depot for ideas of where to start for your particular ammo, they should give you an idea of what kind of bullets and powder to use. Make sure you know what the max powder charge is for your ammo and don't start at it , work up to it.

Make sure you understand how to safely reload before actually doing it by reading books and reloading manuals, reading on here and the best way working with someone who is already experienced.

I hope this helps . I probably left some stuff out but keep searching on here and you should find many similar post and probably some better replies than mine.

Take your time and learn as much as possible before getting started. Try to find a class near you or a friend to show you the basics. Good luck.