• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing What do i use to fill stock and make it heavier?

reewik

Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Jun 8, 2009
    La Vergne, TN
    I own a Remington 700 SPS with the overmolder Hogue stock on it. What material is recommended to fill the front of the stock below the barrel and is there someway to fill the rear as well??

Re: What do i use to fill stock and make it heavier?

For the rear you could drill it out like how some people make survial comparments in the butt, and fill it will lead shot and epoxy. I am sure you could modify that method for the forgrip.

I've used lead shot and epoxy when necessary.
    MarineTex grey works well and awon't break the bank. Most hardware stores carry it (Ace, TrueValue-not so much the bog-box stores).

Bondo makes automotive body work resin with glass fiber mixed in.

This would be OK for strength augmentation; mix in lead shot or steel BB's if you want to add weight as well. If you are looking for a lightweight solution, do a search for 'micro balloons' to add instead of lead shot, but basic airsoft pellets work too, just not quite so lightweight.

Greg

Just make sure you seal the bondo some how, if water gets to it, it will bubble up.

If you're going to add shot, try fiberglass resin.
    Do each place one at a time, it sets up quick.
    Mix small batches for each spot.

For removability, I've lined the recess to be filled with Sarn wrap, shot a light shot of release agent in it, then filled with epoxy and shot. After curing, the weight is removed, then affixed in the cavity with latex caulk (the caulk stays flexible under recoil). I tried this after I made a forend weight and glued it in with a few dabs of epoxy-50 or so shots later the weight had broken free (peeled pieces of my out with it).

modelers clay is removable and easy to get at walmart. Place a stick or 2 in the but and you have your weight, then epoxy and steel or air soft bb for the forend.

I had the same SPS rifle with the same stock and I just used steel shot in the butt end. The recoil pad should come off with just a #2 Phillips screwdriver, then there's a cavity in the buttstock. I pushed a ziplock bag in the cavity and poured in steel shot while hitting the stock on the ground to settle the shot. I zipped up the bag and put the recoil pad back on.

This did help for reducing recoil, but seemed to increase muzzle rise...your mileage may vary. Using an epoxy along with the shot will help to reduce the possibility of the shot moving around, and epoxy will give you a method to affix weight in the forend of the stock.