• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fieldcraft What do snipers keep in the drag bag?

hibc

Private
Minuteman
Aug 23, 2009
Knoxville, T.N.
What do Military snipers vs. LE snipers keep in your dragbag?What kind of inventory do you have in your drag bag besides your rifle? Ammo, backup scope, spotting scope and tripod, cleaning equipment, log book, pistol,??

Show us a list.

Re: What do snipers keep in the drag bag?

When I was in Afghanistan I only used the drag bag for transport inside of the vehicle, at all other times it was in my hands or strapped to the pack while I was using my M4. When it was outside of the drag bag I used an Eagle scope/crown cover to protect from little bumps and dings. In the drag bag though I didn't keep a lot, essentially the rifle and a rear bag/sand sock. The spare optic, cleaning kit, data book, and extra ammunition stayed in my ruck, except for a 20 round box of M118LR that I kept on my chest rig. I personally think drag bags have been carried a little too far from things meant to protect the rifle and carry a few things to essentially padded range bags. If I would've known about them I would've used a TAB cover over the Eagle bag in a heart beat and just strapped my rear bag to it. I also like the looks of the SOT drag bag that I saw on here a while back because it looked simple and compact.

Drag bag? What drag bag? The rifle is in my hands. All my other gear is in a pack.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NickG.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What do Military snipers vs. LE snipers keep in your dragbag?What kind of inventory do you have in your drag bag besides your rifle? Ammo, backup scope, spotting scope and tripod, cleaning equipment, log book, pistol,??

Show us a list.

</div></div>
dead bodies, propaganda, explosives, penthouse latest issue, mobil Internet device for facebook, beer, space ship pieces, zombie repellant, garlic, a midget, generator, voodoo rabbit foot, dog food, ironman suit, hammer, powdered messican food, and last but not least, 3 ghillies

Can't say anything to the above, but around here they carry:

A few extra "Green Lights",
A stack of "Clearances",
a small bottle of "Grid Squares",
and, just in case they need it, (hopefully not), one (1) "Reprimand".

The rest, due to OpSec reasons, cannot be spoken of, in this manner.

Reactions: ReaperSix

depends really, but if actually using the drag bag usually some of the following:
binos, some extra ammo, shooting tripod, sand sock, data book, lens paper, calculator, pens/pencils.

Generally try to keep only mission specific items in there- it's a drag bag, not a rucksack.

Opsec my @#s! You are a freakin putz and i highly doubt a sniper. Guys in here post significant questions and all you freaking wannabe's start screaming opsec. I am throwing by BS flag.

Drag bags are decent, however a friend of mine has been carrying and eberlestock and it seems to work alot better.

Anyway in my dragbag, in the main pouch is my rifle and sock. Also there is a small pouch in there as well I keep the current lot of ammo I am using.

On the large outside pouch I keep a small tripod with spotting scope, laser range finder, camera tripod with rifle rest, and a rolled up poncho.

The smaller pouch to the bottom of the bag I keep my bino's and field data book, and the zipper pouch attached to that pouch I keep a spare MRE.

That's what I carry bro, hope it helps

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LRRP1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Opsec my @#s! You are a freakin putz and i highly doubt a sniper. Guys in here post significant questions and all you freaking wannabe's start screaming opsec. I am throwing by BS flag. </div></div>

Classic!

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dave_</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LRRP1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Opsec my @#s! You are a freakin putz and i highly doubt a sniper. Guys in here post significant questions and all you freaking wannabe's start screaming opsec. I am throwing by BS flag. </div></div>

Classic!

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
</div></div>

Dave, c'mon over here and I'll pour us a bourbon. We can sit back, watch this show, and learn a few things from these "Train-the-Trainer" trainee's.

I'm a single malt Scotch guy, but I'm definitely in
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sean the Nailer</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dave_</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LRRP1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Opsec my @#s! You are a freakin putz and i highly doubt a sniper. Guys in here post significant questions and all you freaking wannabe's start screaming opsec. I am throwing by BS flag. </div></div>

Classic!

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
</div></div>

Dave, c'mon over here and I'll pour us a bourbon. We can sit back, watch this show, and learn a few things from these "Train-the-Trainer" trainee's. </div></div>

Im with these guys...who really gives a shit, although I do believe that some of the above were cracking a joke at how often other throw the term "OpSec" around here...I think its funny (look at my location haha...)....anyway...

To answer your question as far as I go: It all depends on what the mission is. If Im stalking up, how far am I stalking, at what distance am I more than likely taking my shot....all of these and many more would determine what I was bringing with me and what was being cashed....

If I was going on a full skull drag that I knew I was going to stalk from a considerable distance I would cash the majority of my gear...now when I say stalk from a considerable distance that more than likely means that I cant get close on foot, hence the need to ditch some shit.

I never used rangefinders so that is out for me....
I would go with my rifle, spare ammo (as stated above from the same lot)
My HAND MADE drag bag....there were a number of us that made our own, they worked better than the store bought ones, were lighter and who cared if you wrecked it, here is a pic of mine:
DragBag003.jpg

It was a piece of crap as for the "Hides" standards, but it worked better than some of these bags that were 14"+ thick with shit in them and that weighed 15 pounds EMPTY! Do I have one or two of the "Tacticool" ones....yea....are they "real" drag bags....not in my opinion. They are cool cases.

I would also have what was on my belt rig, pistol, water, maybe 1 MRE, smoke, popup, yadda yadda yadda.....
Scissors/clippers
compass
My "specially" modified Tripod

Anyway....youll only do this shit in school anyway....oh and the movies...

The LE Sniper will have the gadgets....I guess depends on the department budget of course...remember some of the guys provide their own shit...Ive seen some of them with nothing more than a rifle and the ammo in it and others that seemed to have $10K in gear, minus rifle!

PS- yes I used the pocket from the sea bag on my drag bag...kept 550 chord guts a spare small knife, cammo pant stick and super glue.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: longrange****</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I do believe that some of the above were cracking a joke</div></div>

Ya think?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LRRP1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Opsec my @#s! You are a freakin putz and i highly doubt a sniper. Guys in here post significant questions and all you freaking wannabe's start screaming opsec. I am throwing by BS flag.

Drag bags are decent, however a friend of mine has been carrying and eberlestock and it seems to work alot better.

Anyway in my dragbag, in the main pouch is my rifle and sock. Also there is a small pouch in there as well I keep the current lot of ammo I am using.

On the large outside pouch I keep a small tripod with spotting scope, laser range finder, camera tripod with rifle rest, and a rolled up poncho.

The smaller pouch to the bottom of the bag I keep my bino's and field data book, and the zipper pouch attached to that pouch I keep a spare MRE.

That's what I carry bro, hope it helps </div></div>

definitely words of a veteran of the site.... All 17 posts
laugh.gif

popcorn is finished, anyone care to join?

OP,

You've been here long enough to know that "Sniper" questions usually don't finish well here. That's what Wiki is for. After all, this is Sniper's Hide, where <span style="text-decoration: underline">real</span> snipers tend to hide from wannabes
laugh.gif

(not implying that you are, but just sayin')

I guess my post count means I spend too much time on the internet? That sounds a little contrary to the controversy of web snipers doesn't it?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: partisan1911</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I guess my post count means I spend too much time on the internet? That sounds a little contrary to the controversy of web snipers doesn't it? </div></div>
I'm not LEO or MIL, but I stayed in a Holiday Inn Express once... and I have never fired a single shot.. ever

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shooter21</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
dead bodies, propaganda, explosives, penthouse latest issue, mobil Internet device for facebook, beer, space ship pieces, zombie repellant, garlic, a midget, generator, voodoo rabbit foot, dog food, ironman suit, hammer, powdered messican food, and last but not least, 3 ghillies </div></div>

grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

Only LEO gear bag I have seen was a gym bag with the owner's vest, 4 water bottles, a few rounds of ammo, and lots of sunscreen and power bars.

The power bars were unwrapped and placed in individual ziplocs for one hand operation and noise reduction!

It belonged to a friend and shooting coach. He was adamant about water and powerbars. Says there are no lunch breaks during a hostage situation.
wink.gif

BMT

Did someone mention trunk money?

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/xdLLdh1xECg"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xdLLdh1xECg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

i dont know why people seem to think this is opsec.

i was going to be an ass and say a rifle... but i really get urked when people dont understand what is and isnt opsec.

But just so its clear, there is no set "packing list" for a drag bag. every sniper or sniper team sets up their kit differently, just like everything else in the world. They custom tailor what works for them. Some use Palms some use ballistic cards, some use mil dots some use LRF's some use x binos, others use Y binos. Its kinda stupid to ponder because its like saying what do you keep in the trunk of your car? Everyone keeps different shit in thier trunk.

Thats why the snipers best tool is his mind.

HAHAAH another one of these questions goes south....I was really trying hard not to dump on this one like usual...but this is funny....as usual

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pat M</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Maser & a 6pack of Hampsters / if that dosn't make you flee what will. </div></div>

Aaaaarrrgghhhhh!

Dave, just got a bottle of 12yr Dewars Special Reserve. Wanna share.

Reactions: MAC40

I forgot to mention the world wide linked I-pad hotlinked to Snipers Hide to be able to read on the go how to be a sniper

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 11B-B4</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i dont know why people seem to think this is opsec. </div></div>

it's just funny to call it OPSec, because what what one think a sniper would carry? everything needed to carry out the mission (which several of the forums are dedicated to) and a few personal comfort items, as you explained below:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 11B-B4</div><div class="ubbcode-body">But just so its clear, there is no set "packing list" for a drag bag. every sniper or sniper team sets up their kit differently, just like everything else in the world. They custom tailor what works for them. Some use Palms some use ballistic cards, some use mil dots some use LRF's some use x binos, others use Y binos. Its kinda stupid to ponder because its like saying what do you keep in the trunk of your car? Everyone keeps different shit in thier trunk.

Thats why the snipers best tool is his mind. </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KeithR41</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dave, just got a bottle of 12yr Dewars Special Reserve. Wanna share.

41 </div></div>

I see no compelling reason to not participate in such an activity
grin.gif

All you need in a drag bag is your rifle and a copy of Maj. Plaster's book ultimate sniper with pages color coded and tabbed for quick reference
smirk.gif

Opsec has two sides:

Strategic- Broad overall plans or missions

Tactical- Real time people and places, Intel that is usually time sensitive

Neither is given up on the Hide no matter how much one may think we are hub central of the secret world?

You boys are silly!

Everyone knows your drag bag is for tampons and chocolate.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pat M</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Maser & a 6pack of Hampsters / if that dosn't make you flee what will. </div></div>

you say it two more times.....he comes back.....

If you are expecting to have sex while out on an operation in a third world country, carry a lot of condoms. If you have unprotected sex with some of the hoes your pecker could fall off and then you would jeopardize the mission.

Really man, it is no secret what you carry in a drag bag. First of all, at least carry your rifle with a scope, anything beyond that is optional depending on the operation. You can carry a small pack or a ruck and stuff it with whatever you need. If you are behind enemy lines for a week, then you need to have everything will need in order to shoot and survive. The list may include a range finder, binos, spotting scope, MREs, clothing, toothbrush, video games, comic books, etc, etc, etc. Stuff your pack with luxury items so you are comfortable. If it is cold weather, carry a heater, a small generator, a night light, and don't forget your pajamas.

Now go out and kick butt.

Thanks Adam, I almost forgot. You need a truck monkey. Get the portable edition, they fit well in a large ruck. They also come with a guarantee. The trunk monkey can determine range, wind conditions, and even shoot the gun if you become dehydrated or delirious. If you are lying for days in a hide and your balls itch, the trunk monkey can scratch them without the enemy hearing or seeing their stealth actions.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kenda</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Everyone knows your drag bag is for tampons and chocolate. </div></div>

Finally a straight forward answer

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: marduk185</div><div class="ubbcode-body">high heels fishnet stockings little black dress makeup and a wig...oh different kind of dragbag? sorry</div></div>

my thoughts exactly, had me rollin

I'm fixing to put my wife in a drag bag and see how well she can float!!!

Haha
wink.gif

I bought a drag bag. The UPS guy that delivered it was wearing a back brace. Damn thing was so heavy it's all I can do just to drag it around. You guys must be really strong to be able to carry all that shit around in one.
I also had a trunk monkey but the little bastard ran off with my girl friend. Bad thing was, i couldn't bitch cuz my wife would find out!
Maybe I could put her in the drag bag?

Some of these questions of late, remind me of an old saying.

No matter the dance, having all the dress won't help your feet move any better.