• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What do u think of the specs?

coulthard_west

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 14, 2008
new orleans la
I'm looking to build my first 100% custom rifle and im not sure which direction to take. What I want to build:

surgeon action
rifle basics trigger
kreiger barrel chambered in .308
mcmillan a-5 stock with an adjustable cheek piece and adj. butt kit
badger bolt knob
surgeon bottom metal.

Or, all of the above excpt buy the 20" barreled remmy 700 and just shoot it until all my parts get in then strip the action.

What do ya'll think?

Re: What do u think of the specs?

Like it all except for the Badger knob. The Surgeon actions come with a couple knob options. I'd go with the KMW knob - it's something like a $25 upgrade - less than the cost of a Badger knob

I agree with darrenk75b. I'd go with the Surgeon bolt knob. Badger makes an alright product there are better options out there.

Other then that it sounds good.

I would recommend looking at the surgeon RSR with the KMW knob for your build. I recently built a 7wsm on one and love it. I prefer it over the stiller because of the one piece bolt.

You will save some money if you go with the rem action and have it trued and a bolt knob put on. It will also be easier to find a stock that fits a 700 inlet. The surgeon has a few things that are slightly different, bolt handle recess, ejection port cut out, side bolt release cut out, and a thicker tang. So most likely you will have to order one and wait 4 months or longer for an A5.

ok, say i get the remington then, how long do you think the wait would be for the a-5 then?

I say stick ith the Surgeon action and Surgeon knob. My dream gun starts with a Surgeon action. You'll spend about the same as a trued Rem. At that point what's a little more coin when it can be built on a Surgeon?

yeah, jw can get you a 700 A5 pronto. They also have one color in stock for the surgeon s/a as well.

About the trued Remy action costing the same as a Surgeon, it's not quite true. I just opted for a trued 700 action over the Surgeon action and it ended up right around half the price of the Surgeon action. I didn't care about the flutes or side bolt release (especially for a ton of extra cash) and the accuracy is no different between a well worked over 700 action and a surgeon action. Even if you're looking at the Surgeon RSR, you'll be saving some cash going the 700 route.

Not to dissuade you from a Surgeon action if that's what you want. They are truly top shelf, but if you don't need the extras and the name brand cool factor, you can save some dough going the 700 route. Either way, don't forget to post pics.

Joe

I can see what JerkeeJoe is saying but I think that the Surgeon actions bring more to the table than just a brand name cool factor.

The RSR and 591 have one piece bolts and a much better bolt stop than a standard Rem. (the design and materials involved aren't chosen for looks).

I think if you already have a donor action then you'll definately save a good amount using the Rem. especially if you use the Rem bottom metal. If you have to get an action then pay to have it trued the price will get closer to an RSR.

The 591 has alot more going for it than any trued 700.

1) longer barrel threading contact.
2) Integral pic rail (Stiffer and stronger).
3) Integral recoil lug (see 1&2 above)
4) Tolerances are excellent.

It's also a boat load of money.

I'm starting to purchase parts for a build and have pretty much decided to use the 591.

I couldnt justify the cost of the 591 action, just didnt see myself needing the integral scope base and lug, so I went witht he RSR action instead. Glad I did, that thing is a piece of work!