• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

what do you all use for coms.

Private
Minuteman
Jul 17, 2010
san jose ca
My shootin buddies just picked up some icom radios. Frs and gmrs. What do you all use and what head sets or mikes? May also use them while huntin, fishin and campin.

Re: what do you all use for coms.

I've got F60 ICOM GMRS/UHF handhelds, and their water resistance has come in handy. Worlds different from most of the GMRS/FRS radios.
I like the speaker mike tucked up on the collar next to my left ear but some users prefer the earphone with throat or boom mike.
GMRS often gets a bad rap, but everyone has commented on the sound quality as well as the ability to run the unit pretty quiet and still hear very well. Setting the mike gain is important. Range has never been a problem, good all around setup, the F50 in UHF might be a better choice if no urban use is needed. Had good luck with the FA-S57US Stubby Antenna.
All in all, and expensive but reliable sutup.

^^^
What he said

Motorola CP185 with external speaker/mic. Rated for 30 stories and I have used it up to 2 miles in an urban setting.

So what do you do if there is no cell service. If you are using a phone. Type out the text and throw it. Lol
I am lookin at the throat Mic and small ear piece.