• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What do you do when it's cold out?

BECKS7

Sergeant
Minuteman
Its starting to get real cold out and I need to get my hands on some gloves.They gotta keep my hands worm enough so I can keep the rifle steady, some grip would be nice, and I wanna be able to feel the trigger...its a must.

What do you guys wear when you shoot in the winter/cold at the range or out and about on public land?

Re: What do you do when it's cold out?

I'd go with a pair of heavy mittens. Marmot, Canada Goose, The North Face, whatever. And a pair of thin liner gloves, either silk or wool. Non-trigger hand would stay in the mitten, other would stay in the liner glove, and go in and out of the mitten with a hand warmer inside. Poke your trigger hand back into your pocket and give shooting a rest for 5-10 mins then go back at it.

Don't forget to bundle up the rest of your body. You lose a lot of your body heat out of your head and feet. Heavy wool socks, with a wool watch cap, bomber cap, or whatever to keep your head and ears warm. And a heavy vest along with everything else will keep your core warm. The less work your body needs to put into keeping the most important stuff warm (core) the more blood it will be willing to push out to keep your hands warm.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Aer454</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Don't forget to bundle up the rest of your body. You lose a lot of your body heat out of your head and feet. Heavy wool socks, with a wool watch cap, bomber cap, or whatever to keep your head and ears warm. And a heavy vest along with everything else will keep your core warm. The less work your body needs to put into keeping the most important stuff warm (core) the more blood it will be willing to push out to keep your hands warm.</div></div>

So many people don't understand that concept, and it's worth repeating. Simple facts.

I tend to stay inside... Build flintlocks and load ammunition... Maybe work on a custom shooter or two... Until the snow thaws...

Depending on the time spent outside, if there is a warm vehicle near-by and the temps I will either wear insualted mechanics gloves or thin cotton gloves plus a set of heavy gloves or mitts.

My old Scoutmaster used to say, "If your feet are cold, you must have left your hat off"; and he'd usually be right.

Ears and fingers are radiators, they need to be kept inside the loop, insulation-wise. Pay attention to the details.

Once I've established a good insulation strategy, my hands get extra attention.

First, loose fitting gloves. The hands are at the end of the line, circulation-wise, and anything that restricts circulation equates to cold hands. Second, liner gloves that can protect against wind infiltration when they are directly exposed are a definite plus.

Depending on whether my intended liner exposure is short or long, I will wear either a pair of silk liners, or a pair of Mechanics' Wear Winter Gloves. These latter gloves are the best compromise I have yet found between warmth and dexterity. They have a thinsulate insulation layer yet do a respectable job of maintaining touch and dexterity.

The key here is to manage exposure with conscious discipline.

Keep exposure as short as possible, replace outer layers ASAP, work the hands inside the insulation to reinforce blood flow and restore warmth once the outer layers are restored.

Never underestimate the time needed to restore actual warmth, or overestimate your ability to tolerate exposure.

If you're thinking about it, you need more time. If you're not thinking about it, you still need more time.

Be aware that most people, left to themselves, will make both of these mistakes, so watch your partner, and have them watch you. I know from personal experience that when I'm beginning to suffer a cold casualty, it's the feet and hands which reach the tipover point first. At that point it's a race between finding warm shelter and suffering a frostbite injury.

Greg

Insulated wool gloves. The 12 to 15 dollar variety. Make sure to buy them a bit big, you do NOT want them tight on your fingers or palm.

Then follow the other advice, wool cap with wind proof and wool socks, again, don't get them tight!!! Layers for clothing...

Have fun...

I was gonna wear my remington jacket, the wally world hunting 4 in 1. my 5.11 boots with probably a couple pairs or wool socks, not sure for pants, maybe a couple pairs of ACU's and a tee shirt and hoodie under the coat, I just am at a loss for gloves. I will for sure bring a wool cap of some kind with me to, I spend most of my time outside these days in a hood.

Nomex flight gloves do a pretty good job of keeping your fingers warm as long as you don't remove them, and since there pretty thin it's easy to put your hands back inside some mitts or bigger gloves

When it starts getting real cold out here low 70's high 60's brrrrrrr.... I will get some of those little hand warmers and put them into the pocket of my jacket.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Captain Kick-Ass</div><div class="ubbcode-body">bourbon</div></div>

bottles of it, check that gallons, not cheap ass jack daniels either

Wally world has a bit of a selection of cheap gloves to pick from. If you can't find heavy mittens, go with a heavy set of gloves.

Another option; same glove combos as above but cut your trigger finger part of the gloves off at the mid knuckle. And keep a several (3-4) hand warmers in your hoodie pocket, or even one of those insulated tubes that quarterbacks use in football. When that bare finger gets cold, dive your hand back into the pocket for a few mins. While it's warm, it'll allow you the greatest amount of dexterity over wearing a glove.

Also, never forget the heating value of a mug full of coffee. Bring a thermas of coffee and a regular coffee cup. Reach over and clutch it when your hand is cold. Sip downt he cup, return to shooting... No matter what path you decide to go, taking breaks are almost unavoidable... plus it never hurt to stop and smell the roses anyway ^.^

Bourbon just leads to cuddling with BK.

+1 on Nomex flight gloves. Use those under a pair of thicker gloves that can be taken off once you know the shot is coming up.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shaggyback</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bourbon just leads to cuddling with BK.

+1 on Nomex flight gloves. Use those under a pair of thicker gloves that can be taken off once you know the shot is coming up.</div></div>

Could be worse, could be chaired by Fikes

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Captain Kick-Ass</div><div class="ubbcode-body">bourbon </div></div>Bourban and booty, got ya.
I only have Jim Bean, what should I snag
wink.gif
?

Mitts and contact gloves. If you are talking about REALLY cold (meaning arctic weather) then contact with a metal trigger can mean a loss of skin.

If you are talking about just plain old winter cold, then I wear a set of Manzella Goretex shells with Black Diamond fleece liners. For just nippy weather I use flight gloves.

I have 3 or 4 pairs with an opening on the trigger finger. It velcroes back out of the way. The pair I like best are thin rubber like wet suits are made of. I don't remember where I bought them. But knowing me it wasn't too expensive.

Unless it is freezing, which means I probably do not go to the range, I only wear gloves when resting. Unless you mean on patrol, or hunting. More to follow.

Layer up as mentioned above, protecting your head, core, and feet. I get cold hands very easily--I have Raynauds phenomenon. The blood vessels go into spasm when it gets around 40 degrees and my fingers go numb. It sucks. My strategy consists of using light knit wool liner gloves inside some cut-off finger gloves with flap-over mitt. I keep 2 hand warmers in each glove--one in the palm and one over the back. I keep my fingers in the mitt part until I need my trigger finger, at which time I slip it out and use it. It then goes back immediately into the mitt.

Even then my hands still go numb. My next strategy involves forcing the blood back into my fingers by swinging my arms in circles. The centrifugal force forces the blood back to the ends of the extremity, plumping up the veins and forcing them open. Once this has happened, the blood flows better and things stay warm for a while longer. Just my experience.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Mechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When it starts getting real cold out here low 70's high 60's brrrrrrr.... I will get some of those little hand warmers and put them into the pocket of my jacket. </div></div>

I feel for ya!

If you're shooting in cold weather its nice to know what your load is going to do. At 40 below the air gets pretty dense and if you're inclined you can crank up the loads a little.

If it's not windy and you dress super warm you can go without a glove whatsoever. If conditions are quite cold you can mix your hand wear. I.E. mitt on one hand and a glove on the shooting hand.

Its actually possible to be barehanded at 40 below for 10-20 minutes(with no wind) if the rest of your body is super insulated.

You only need one set of fingers to handle cartriges, triggers, zippers, etc.

Cabelas uninsulated CamoSkinz or Nomex flight gloves.
I can't stand heavy gloves while hunting or shooting. When not on the rifle, my hands are in my pockets...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Phil1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If it's not windy and you dress super warm you can go without a glove whatsoever. If conditions are quite cold you can mix your hand wear. I.E. mitt on one hand and a glove on the shooting hand.</div></div>

If you dress super warm and go with out gloves, then your hands will be cold, your core will sweat, then you will get hypothermia when your sweat-soaked garments cool your core. Unfortunately I have seen Boot Privates who have never worked in the cold do this more than once.

When you dress for cold weather ops, it is better to be slightly cool than toasty warm. YOU DO NOT WANT TO SWEAT. Then again if you are in really cold climates you will never be toasty warm when outside. Even right next to a fire you are warm on one side and freezing on the other.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Mechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When it starts getting real cold out here low 70's high 60's brrrrrrr.... I will get some of those little hand warmers and put them into the pocket of my jacket. </div></div>

Now thats hilarious. I wish we had 60 to 80 degree days all year round and 10inches of rain on average a year.

It just started to get chilly in the morning when I patrol for squirrels. The very first item I pull out to start out the season is the sleep shirt. I have had it for 24 years and it is still going strong. It is not just the material used, but the tight wrists and the zippered neck that allows you to adjust according to your temperature. Unzipped when moving, zipped when stopped.
25auneq.jpg

Quick google search found THIS SITE , althought it appears they only have small.

Really cold out?: layers - the more the better. Topped off with an 800-fill down jacket, a neck gaitor, and "trigger gloves" by Cloudveil with just the thumb and index finger missing the last 1".

Arctic fleecec in layers, thin, insulated gortex bibs, on top of wool britches with underarmor base layers. Its hard to beat that, and in MI, it gets cold.

Neoprene gloves, with heavy mittens on top, when hands not in use. The neoprene gloves allow good trigger minipulation when mitten peels back.

Wool socks and LaCross pack boots if its really cold, otherwise just the Carharrt leather boots.

Coyote Gun....check.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Phil1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you're shooting in cold weather its nice to know what your load is going to do. At 40 below the air gets pretty dense and if you're inclined you can crank up the loads a little.

If it's not windy and you dress super warm you can go without a glove whatsoever. If conditions are quite cold you can mix your hand wear. I.E. mitt on one hand and a glove on the shooting hand.

Its actually possible to be barehanded at 40 below for 10-20 minutes(with no wind) if the rest of your body is super insulated.

You only need one set of fingers to handle cartriges, triggers, zippers, etc. </div></div>

Those have to live, work and play in the cold to understand.

I shoot in the cold, I have worked and played in the cold for many many years. I do not wear gloves or mitts while on the gun, only jobbing on the range. My hands do not get that cold at -35F even while on the rifle and tasks around the rifle.

I wear:
A single layer Patagonia R1 top and bottoms.
Soft shell guide pants.
Fleece jacket or Primaloft sweater.
Soft shell top.
Bunny boots.
Jeep hat when it cold.
Ball cap.
Fleece gloves.
A big puff jacket, I prefer WildThings Belay parka. This combo has served me for 15 years guiding Dec-Jan in Alaska all but the bunny boots, they suck for movement and I wore good boots.

Just as important as the head are the feet. Contact between the cold ground and your feet, boots can be a cold sink sucking cold right into the feet it does not matter how many hats you have on.

Garlic pills or baby aspirin can help thin the blood.
Heat packs inside your gloves on the back of your hands.
Hot water bottle inside a pocket to heat up the hands, many mountaineering jackets have pockets designed for this.
Well hydrated.
Proper food; carbs and fat.
A small stove, nothing like a shake down rest, pull out the stove, pour some water into a small pot, add snow and enjoy a cup of hot soup. Or a thermos of hot water.
Dot Seam Grip on the fingers and palms of gloves and mitts for extra grip, where you need it. It stays grippy and flexible in the cold.

For loads, dry static air too!

If it is really cold (< 0 deg F) I use quality ski gloves (leather) that have been treated with sno-seal. When its time to shoot I pull my glove off or switch to nomex flight glove. Some of my friends from Finland recommended wool gloves with a slit cut in the trigger pad.

As for dress use layers. Look at what the mountain climbers are wearing. There are some outstanding performance fabrics now that are very thin but provide ample insulation. What's more impressive is the way these fabrics breathe when you are under heavy physical activity. The last plus is these guys are very conscious of weight so most of their fabrics are light weight.

This is what I do when it gets cold out:
grin.gif

106391957_large_93476f.jpg

Not much else can be added to 45.308's post.

My input is only that if external moisture will be an issue make sure you get seam taped gloves. OR/BD

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: COfox</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This is what I do when it gets cold out:
grin.gif

106391957_large_93476f.jpg
</div></div>

Thats not a SNARG? Can not make out your clip point, looks chained?

At first, think this is the Skylight area but its been 12 years since I climbed there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 45.308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thats not a SNARG? Can not make out your clip point, looks chained?

At first, think this is the Skylight area but its been 12 years since I climbed there. </div></div>

Not chained, there are two screws in that picture with QD's. It's "Slippery When Wet" up Camp Bird Road, just a few dozen meters up the road from Skylight.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: honkey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Its starting to get real cold out and I need to get my hands on some gloves.They gotta keep my hands worm enough so I can keep the rifle steady, some grip would be nice, and I wanna be able to feel the trigger...its a must.

What do you guys wear when you shoot in the winter/cold at the range or out and about on public land? </div></div>

I still have two sets of these I use occasionally:

trigmitten.jpg

Trigger mitts. I friggin' love it. I got issued those once. Don't know if I every actually used them. I got issued a set of Black Diamond gloves and liners at the same time that were much better.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: honkey</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Captain Kick-Ass</div><div class="ubbcode-body">bourbon </div></div>Bourban and booty, got ya.
I only have Jim Bean, what should I snag
wink.gif
? </div></div>

I think Shankster can help you out with one of his oversized radiant heaters

Oh gawd please keep the whales in the Sea Shepherd thread...

LoneWolfUSMC; you wouldnt happen to have been overseas for arctic/winter training?

get used to having cold hands or feet.. eventually you wont feel them anyway.

I prefer to start duck hunting around the beginning of December, when it's right around -8° just before sunup. A couple weekends of that and I get to the point where I can be comfortable w/ bare hands at around 30°.

You use your hands for everything. Find something that's durable, but water resistant. Tight isnt good, but too loose and you loose dexterity. I like the aformentioned liner/mitten plan.

one more very important detail when its cold . dont wear cotton . the old saying " cotton kills ".pay good attention to what your inner layer are made of . this is also very important for gloves

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Phil1 said:
If YOU DO NOT WANT TO SWEAT. </div></div>
Amen!
While moving dont wear every peace of fabric you have in you closet. But always wear somekind of gloves even while moving.
I have seen too many frostbite because peopol wont use gloves. "its only -10°C" well if you stay out for 8h per day you migh get frostbites anyway.

Now use hat to protect your head (goes without saying?).
Some thing that protect your head and ears from wind and cold.

To protect my feet i use muck boots and 2 pair of socks. Sport/hiking sock and woolen stocking. Dont use too tigh woolen stocking it wont keep you warm. Its an old trick to but some newspaper inside your boot to soak out sweat. It works really well! You have to change/dry those papers after couple of hour but it helps a lot!

If possible dont stand on ice/other gold ground. Snow is better. Every time you go to warm up next to fire or you go indoor take of your boots!
Belive me or not but i have seen a man who had his boots frozen to his feet beacause of that!
He couldn't take his boot of even if he want to because those boots was frozen shut! He had those boot on for 3day and it wasnt pretty when he get those boots of
sick.gif

For (base layer)shirt i recoment something that covers your lower back and has collar to protect you throat and neck. Zipper is goot to have. It has to be breath. I usually have one extra whit me so i can change if it gets too wet (sweat). Trust me its better to whit out a shirt for 30sec then have a wet shirt for 6h.

After that i use fleece shirt (tad gear is warm and nice).
Then comes pullover (i personaly cant stand high collars on pullovers)
Then comes quilted jacket that has to covers my lower back,wrists and neck.

Long johns!
Fleece pants
and winter trousers.

And if its get really cold (-40°C) i take out my icefishing overalls
whistle.gif

Remember to drink some water! Lots of it! Warm and hot.
If you know that you are going out cold tomorrow for hours eat some salt peanuts and take shower but dont use shampoo or wash your face at morning! Oily skin protects your face from frostbites...
Oh and it takes 7days (average) human adjust to cold. After that it doesnt feel so bad.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 45.308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Those have to live, work and play in the cold to understand.

</div></div>

I agree with most of what you said KingKong, but I have some comments.
This is based on what I've experienced through years of Army service with below -40C on a regular basis.

Wool socks on the skin is best, and only pure wool! Sport/hiking socks tend to be made of a wool/synthetic blend, you should wear no synthetic materials whatsoever. Synthetics also chafe when your feet get sweaty. If you do get cold, add another wool layer. Good insoles are important, both to insulate and transport sweat. And agree on the newspaper trick, it does work.

As base layer, netting underwear. It's the best for sweat transportation, and leaves a air layer next to your skin. Then long johns outside.
Fleece? A big no-no. Fleece will trap moisture, unlike what the common belief is. Sure it warms well but only if you're not moving. Wool transports sweat, plus it is the fabric with highest insulation effect when wet.

And when you are on the move remove as much as possible. That goes for socks aswell. When I walk I only wear netting underwear under the jacket, and one pair of socks. If you freeze when walking you're not walking fast enough.

I dint mean oringinal fleece. Same what tad gear uses (google) Merino wool! thats what I meant!

Nowadays you can get hiking socks that breath just as well as Wool socks and fits much better. But i use (most of the time) these http://www.varusteleka.fi/pictures/1742.jpg
I fell in love whit thise while i was in defence forces (Jaeger Brigade). Maybe not the best choice but those works for me.

Netting underwear is nice to have.