• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What do you guys like for cases?

Am180man

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 18, 2008
Missouri
O.K., getting my FN/SPR slowly together. Just ordered my rings, bolt handle is back from G.A., suppressor should be clearing soon. Now it's time for a case. I was going to go with something like a Pelican or Storm, but what about the soft cases? Say like something from Eagle that will also accommodate a padded scope cover.

Do you guys think that will provide adequate protection for the system? What all do you use?
Steve

Re: What do you guys like for cases?

Spend only 35 bucks on a Plano air-glide rifle case and save yourself a shit load of money. The Plano Air-Glide is the shit!!! Check it out!!! Seriously!!!! Lee

The pelican only comes out for major travel (air or bed of truck). 99% of the time, my rifles get transported in a drag bag. Hard cases are a PIA.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: matchking</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The pelican only comes out for major travel (air or bed of truck). 99% of the time, my rifles get transported in a drag bag. Hard cases are a PIA. </div></div>

x2. I have a Storm, and I'd hate to see what I'd have to do in order to damage my rifle. Regardless, the thing sucks. I'd rather have a high end dragbag.

Even though this topic has been covered 1000000000000000000 times.

i carry my SPR in an eagle drag back fits great real well made case dont think you can go wrong

I'm really happy with my Pelican, although I would like to get a drag bag too. That sucker is heavy.

I am not sure if the Plano Air-Glide is air line approved but they do lock up. The Pelican and storm are very nice top of the line cases and are in a different class than the air-glide, but for the guy just going to and from the range or a comp, the air glide is the shit!!! The air glide keeps your gun up right while traveling and it rests of big pieces of impact foam and also straps into place so it will not shift around. If you have ever been to a Bench-Rest comp 85% of the guys will have there high end bench rifles strapped into an Air-Glide. Guys I like nice shit!! I really do, but this case is nice shit!!!! I'm Done Now!! Lee

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My duty rifle rides in a drag bag unless we are flying. </div></div>

Same here for my match rifles. drag bag allows for easier carry and also has pockets for gear.

If flying it goes in the trusty Starlight case which has served me well for years and taken alot of abuse and never let the rifles get damaged. They don't even lose zero even when I watched a baggage handler in Houston take the rifle case and drop it about 3 feet on to the concrete. Your heart drops when you see that but everything was fine.

Some pics of why a good case is needed when handing your luggage to a baggage handler
P1010067.jpg

P1010068.jpg

P1010070.jpg

P1010073.jpg

Back in 2002 I found an MTM clone of the Pelican case for a whole lot less. Same features. Seals, handles, wheels, vent, etc. It's a monster. I only use it for airline travel. Oherwise, whatever hard case is available at WallyWorld, as long as it's long enough, fills my bill. The strategy here is: the case takes the beating, and is therefore to be considered a consumable, so replacement costs are an issue. Never has one fail to protect 'My Preshuss'. If I anticipate issues, I use the clone, but it's very hard to fit into my car.

Greg

Thanks for the responses guys. As I don't travel with the guns, I'll either go with the Plano case or something from Eagle in a soft case. I've had the Pelican before for my 50 cal and it was a pain to drag around.
Steve

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Am180man</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As I don't travel with the guns, </div></div>
Hopefully that should read "As I don't travel, "

A few years ago Walmart/Sam's club got into some shenanigans with Starlight and I ended up buying a couple of their large rifle cases for $65 each. Great case for $65 but if I had to pay full retail I'd choose a Pelican or Storm case (which I also have). That said, Unless I'm flying I use an inexpensive Eagle soft case.

Check out TAB. Tony's rifle cover is outstanding. Do not know how something so simple can be so good. I like the open bipod feature, from vehicle to ground, rifle is always ready.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They don't even lose zero even when I watched a baggage handler in Houston take the rifle case and drop it about 3 feet on to the concrete. Your heart drops when you see that but everything was fine.
</div></div>

You too? I about lost my mind in Houston when I watched the baggage monkey grab my Pelican and fling it across the tarmac. Scuffs on the case, but it held zero just fine. When I got to Oregon it was dead on at 200 yards.

To and from the range I use Flambeau cases. I got them at Gander Mountain for like $15.00 bucks a piece. Plenty strong, and the foam seems to hold up pretty good also. If your gonna fly, I'd go with something like a Storm or an equivalent case.