• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What do you guys think of my new and improved gun?

gszeto99

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 16, 2009
Illinois, USA
This is the way the rifle was when I first got it:
Stock Remington 700 5-R with Kryloned camo color
EGW 20MOA Rail
Warne Rings
Seals "Sniper" Scope
2zhr63b.jpg

This is the way it is now. What do you guys think? What else should I do to it (it is still a work in progress)?
Stock Remington 700 5-R action and Barrel Cut to 20"
Badger Ordnance FTE Brake installed
Krylon Removed (bead blasted away)
Still have the EGW Rail
Badger Ordnance Max-50 Rings
US Optics ST-10, Ergo, Erek 1/4MOA, 1/4MOA #1 windage, Red Illuminated Reticle, MOA Reticle, Low profile objective
McMillan A-5 with spacer length, wheel adjust, sniper fill, Remington Varmint barrel channel, Desert camo
Shilen Trigger set at 2.5lb safe and no creep, and no over travel

16ljrxl.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold">Feel free to post comments or suggestions</span>

Re: What do you guys think of my new and improved gun?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: honkey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would do something about the stainless, never was a fan of the look myself. </div></div>

agree on the stainless look...but looks real good. ST10 is a great piece of glass !

at first i thought this was a joke when i saw the first picture.

thats a world of improvement

Yeah I am thinking of putting some color on the action and barrel. That would be the next thing I do.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 051F</div><div class="ubbcode-body">at first i thought this was a joke when i saw the first picture.

thats a world of improvement </div></div>

You like the first picture huh, 051F? LOL

What DBM do you guys suggest and why?

How well could you shoot it before you changed it? Now how well can you shoot it ????

Re: What do you guys think of my new and improved

Depends on what you are going for.
The rifle looks nice now and can probably out shoot most any shooters potential, so if that is your goal then you are finished. If there is even a remote possibility you will ever actually have to use the rifle for what it was intended…Get rid of the stainless.
Also matte out your bipod. I have been observer on a couple of informal crawls and the flash from the sun, moon or artificial lighting reflected from a bipod gets you caught every time.
Just my .02

Badger M5..... The mai diffeences between them these days seem to be the type & location of the mag release.... Check out the Badger M5, Glen Seekins, H&S Precision, Wyatt's, and CDI's offerings...

Have you noticed any sort of accuracy/comfort etc. improvement from upgrades? Been thinking of doing some upgrades myself and that is a sweet looking rifle!

I have never shot it with the Seals scope nor the H-S Precision Stock. I sold those the moment I got the rifle. I put the rifle in the McMillan right away when it was still 24". Call me a softy but I don't like recoil at all. My shoulder area will start to feel the tenderness after about 20 rounds. The Badger FTE brake really helps decrease that now I can shoot 200 rounds without any tenderness. I can also see my hits now even at 100 yards.

As for how accurate is it well just look up youtube within the next couple of days I will post me getting a solid hit on a golf ball at 200+ yards. My best groups so far is a little over 3/8" at 100 from preliminary load development(I still need to improve my consistency as well--I still have a lot of called fliers).

Wow. Doesn't even look like its the same rifle. If you say it is, I guess I'll have to believe you.
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AQC440</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> If there is even a remote possibility you will ever actually have to use the rifle for what it was intended…Get rid of the stainless. </div></div>

in your opinion, what exactly was a remington 700 5r intended for?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AQC440</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> If there is even a remote possibility you will ever actually have to use the rifle for what it was intended…Get rid of the stainless. </div></div>

in your opinion, what exactly was a remington 700 5r intended for? </div></div>

Hmmm... getting the projectile from point A to point B
confused.gif
Hahaha!
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Joeyhotfizzle</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AQC440</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> If there is even a remote possibility you will ever actually have to use the rifle for what it was intended…Get rid of the stainless. </div></div>

confused.gif
Hahaha!
grin.gif
</div></div>

<span style="font-weight: bold">Precisely</span>
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AQC440</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Joeyhotfizzle</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AQC440</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> If there is even a remote possibility you will ever actually have to use the rifle for what it was intended…Get rid of the stainless. </div></div>

confused.gif
Hahaha!
grin.gif
</div></div>

<span style="font-weight: bold">Precisely</span>
wink.gif
</div></div>

sorry and/or my bad. i didn't realize that bare stainless rifles couldn't get a projectile from point a to point b without some uber-tactical ninja paint.

One nice thing about putting M5 bottom metal on it is you gain some room to seat bullets out further, which in some cases can really pull your accuracy together. That and Remington's factory bottom metal really isn't the greatest. However you may have to have some inletting done to your A5 to make the detachable fit, I'm not sure on that one. Thats a nice looking setup, big improvement.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: damcv62</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wow. Doesn't even look like its the same rifle. If you say it is, I guess I'll have to believe you.
wink.gif
</div></div>

Of course it doesn't look the same. Krylon has been taken off. Stock changed, changed optics. The only thing that did not change on the rifle was the EGW 20MOA base and the Stainless Receiver and bolt. Read the original post to see the comparison between the before and after and you will see the differences.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oam</div><div class="ubbcode-body">One nice thing about putting M5 bottom metal on it is you gain some room to seat bullets out further, which in some cases can really pull your accuracy together. That and Remington's factory bottom metal really isn't the greatest. However you may have to have some inletting done to your A5 to make the detachable fit, I'm not sure on that one. Thats a nice looking setup, big improvement. </div></div>

Thanks for the compliment and tip about the Badger M5 DBM. How long can you seat the bullet on those AICS mags. I sold my AICS 1.5 before I could measure (I forgot to measure basically).

Looks damn good Gene! Data on AICS Mags is 2.880 OAL. Nice glass too.

sorry and/or my bad. i didn't realize that bare stainless rifles couldn't get a projectile from point a to point b without some uber-tactical ninja paint. [/quote]

300sniper
Sorry, I shouldn't have dismissed your question.
Stainless barrels and bipods without a little “uber-tactical ninja paint” on them, in nature, stick-out like a sore thumb.
To me the Remington 700 5R is a precision rifle.
Precision rifles are to reduce the enemy's fighting ability by striking at high value targets, pinning down and demoralizing the enemy and overwatch security. I sometimes take things to seriously.
I would also like to apologize to gszeto99 for walking on his thread.

AQC, sounds like the definition of a SNIPER rifle that a SNIPER would use.
PRECISION rifles are for the A to B thing
wink.gif