• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What do you look for in your clone?

chad3

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 1, 2006
Do you look for the newest? Oldest? Most correct with what you have? What would be correct when the rifle was retired?
Main reason I am asking is for the M40A1. I see lots of them on here now, having mine built right now. I see 6 digit actions with paddle safeties and Schneider barrels. I have heard that this would actually be wrong. Schneider came into the game late, wouldn't have been there for the early rifles. Triggers would have been swapped out at some point in the 30 year life. USO didn't get to refab scopes until late in the game.
Just curious as to what you guys are thinking.
Chad

Re: What do you look for in your clone?

Interesting question, I see pictures of early Remingtons with the later longer bolt shroud installed . Should we try to attain what the rifle would be like when it was first issued. In the case of the M40A1, the Redfield scope would be correct and perhaps the Weaver T10, could you consider the M40A1 with the Unertl an upgraded version. Did the rifle remain the same when the Unertl was introduced.
Marty

The Unertl 10X USMC Sniper marked is also period correct. The USO MST 100 is an almost exact duplicate & a limited run W/USMC markings are being/have been made. Badger and USO have also replicated the scope base..... not cheap, but they're out there! All M40A1's "could" have had a scneider at some point in it's life as they were continuously rebarrelled until decommisioned..... For true period correct you would need to know the rifle's entire history.... So, it goes to personal taste.....

I'm keeping the short shroud on my 6 digit on my early smear stock, and going with the Redfield scope, rings, and base for economy. Even though the Redfields were used on some early A1's I'd think they are actually more M40 correct than M40A1.... I'd think most associate the Unertl w/the M40A1...

Schneider barrels are about as close as you can get right now! HS doesn't sell barrels anymore and they were cut rifled. Most of the originals had the short shroud along w/ the paddle safeties. I believe USO may have never actually built a scope for the USMC; eventhough it is a possibility?? I believe they refurbished and updated existing scopes! The bolt itself on the early ones were also different!

Schneider did do rebarrels in the late 90's for them. Which is why I am saying, would you look for (per spec/clone) a late 90's style rifle. Would it be correct for the 60's, no. If that is the case, paddle safety trigger would have been swapped out at some point to a bolt release, round safety trigger. Receiver would have still worked, hoods: both could have worked depending on abuse. Slings could have just about any MRT date on them.
I was just thinking out loud last night.
CHad

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hydro556</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would look for a huge penis in my clone. If it is an accurate clone, LOL. </div></div>

LMFAO!!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hydro556</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would look for <span style="font-weight: bold">a huge penis in my clone</span>. If it is an accurate clone, LOL. </div></div>

Whos penis would be in your clone if you dont mind me asking?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wnroscoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hydro556</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would look for <span style="font-weight: bold">a huge penis in my clone</span>. If it is an accurate clone, LOL. </div></div>

Whos penis would be in your clone if you dont mind me asking? </div></div>

Bada bing. As soon as I posted it, I knew someone would nail that. I almost edited it but said hell with it. Left myself wide open for that one. so to speak. LOL

Yea, were a sick buntch of bastards................just the way I like it
wink.gif

Alright,
I have a chance to shoot my clone in the local military matches (few loopholes, but I've worked through them). Curious what others are doing to get closest to "real". Sorry, not sure mine will fit
smile.gif
Would get pics of it, but could get dangerous.
Just interested.
Chad