• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Hunting & Fishing What do you put in your pack?

Jackomason

Poop-smith aka "Turd Herder"
Minuteman
Dec 26, 2013
Westcliffe Colorado
I just got my first dedicated hunting/shooting pack. I have a 4th season elk tag which means mid November. I don't truck hunt and I'm not a survivalist. I dont need 10 lbs of bandaids and a stretcher to boot... the pack Is a eberlestock GS I.

The basics I'll pack are:
Shooting gear(kestrel, bags, LRF, rifle etc)
Gear for the climate
Food/water
Knives/field dressing stuff
Small medical kit

What would you guys bring?
Anything you've found useful in the feild?

Attachments

• 20180913_124833.jpg
    20180913_124833.jpg
    371.7 KB · Views: 43
Depends on the type of outing but in addition to the above:

Firestarting kit
Limb saw
Zip ties
Camo netting (depends on the hunt)
Wet wipes
Duct tape
Emergency whistle
Snake bite kit
Camo face paint with mirror

I carry too much crap... but would rather be prepared.

Depends on the type of outing but in addition to the above:

Firestarting kit
Limb saw
Zip ties
Camo netting (depends on the hunt)
Wet wipes
Duct tape
Emergency whistle
Snake bite kit
Camo face paint with mirror

I carry too much crap... but would rather be prepared.

When I go to the range I try to be over prepared but I dont want to take too much crap out on a hunt and drag it around for the week. I dont plan on the Russians attacking Haha.

Seeing as it will be pretty cold out by then I plan to be back in my own bed every night. I live at the base of the mountains I hunt. I am curious about some of the things you've listed though, like zip ties? Wet wipes, duct tape and whistle are all good ideas at well. Thanks man!

Reactions: WoobieJ
I hear you. I always pack too much with me but it’s an always prepared mentality I’ve always had. I’ve done enough survival classes to know that creating fires and packing wounds in the wild without the proper gear is no fun.

Zip ties are a good all around item I keep in all of my bags. Tons of uses kind of like duct tape. It especially comes in handy to hold gear together if needed and to fix ground blinds, etc.

550 cord, folding saw (double use as a limb saw and bone saw), compass and map, small LED head lamp with extra batteries (helps to not have to hold a light while field dressing), 3 or 4 heavy duty plastic contractor garbage bags (double as meat sacks and possible shelter material), small flashing strobe beacon, storm whistle. extra wool socks.

Reactions: WoobieJ
After reading the shit you guys carry, I'm fairly certain that I'm going to die on my next hunt .
You could just rely on good luck. I don't have that option, it's been proven to me time and again that I don't have any.

Yeah I understand being prepared and I guess it comes down to what each indavidual feels comfortable with. I'd just like an idea of things people actually find useful in the feild.

Not to bash your guys setups, because I have no idea what your hunting situation is like. But I'm going to be like 7 miles from my house. I can see a basic medical kit but if I get myself in so deap that I need pack half my bag with survival gear then maybe I should just die out there.

Absolutely. Everyone’s experiences are different. And I pack differently for each hunt depending on the conditions.

When I was young I had a friend get shot in the back on accident during a hunt. He crawled over a mile before he died. I know another guy who broke his neck during a hunt and managed to walk out.

Where I hunt there are wild hog, bear, wild cats, snakes and I’ve never gone anywhere on earth that’s free of stupid people.

Sure, accidents may be low percentage but they do happen.

Mountains, November, 7 miles +/_, and a broken leg maybe a survival blanket might be a good idea.

Well this is all good to think about. I know disaster is never all that far away but I'm not the kind to worry about it all that much. There also tends to be a lot of hunters in the area so maybe the rape whistle would get their attention if I ever need it. Makes you wonder if most hunters would come if they heard three sos shots. That's what they taught us in Alberta hunters safety but I'm not sure about colorado.

Seems to be all survival stuff I'd be missing (?). Thanks for the input guys.

Well this is all good to think about. I know disaster is never all that far away but I'm not the kind to worry about it all that much. There also tends to be a lot of hunters in the area so maybe the rape whistle would get their attention if I ever need it. Makes you wonder if most hunters would come if they heard three sos shots. That's what they taught us in Alberta hunters safety but I'm not sure about colorado.

Seems to be all survival stuff I'd be missing (?). Thanks for the input guys.

3 shots in the mountains as an SOS. Might sound good on paper, but not something I’d equate as a call for help, not easy to find direction with bouncy acoustics and certainly not something I rush up too.

Do you have a spot ? Push a button on it and a helicopter is coming , or 10 people to carry you out. We use it when hunting, hiking , or rideing motorcycles . It saved my fathers life. Had a spine injury, was carried out by search and rescue . I imagine he would of not made it without it . He could not move his legs , and was screaming in pain. So depending on the injury, and your ability to nurse it. The spot could help a lot .

That's a really great idea, and I think it fits what I expected. I've been listening to the every day sniper, frank and Caylen were talking about stripping their MREs. That's hardcore.

That Spot is pretty cool. There is no cell service where I hunt and I do a lot of night hunting. The wife is always worried about me so that may be the solution!

Plenty of stuff been said already but also wrenches to remount my scope and an Otis kit to get mud/ice out of my bore. Both have saved me on hunts.

And a giant +1 on TP

Ive had a Spot for years. Do a lot of solo dirt biking, hiking etc. The girlie likes it when I can check in. Also drops pins on a map with coordinates so even if I was too hurt to do anything, somebody would come. A little spendy, but from an insurance standpoint, not a bad buy at all. No limit to who you can add to your notifications list as well.

Here is my pack for backcountry elk. Packed out a bull yesterday so was just reorganizing and cleabning gear.

Exo Mtn Gear 2000 pack
Sitka Gear Stormfront gtx hard shell
Mountain Hardwear synthetic puffy
Spare gloves
Beanie
GPS
Phone
Map
6 game bags
55gal contractor bag
Saw
Spare AA batteries (2)
Havalon w/8 blades
Dark Angel med kit w/CAT tourniquet
Spare 10mm mag
9 spare rifle rounds
Ibuprofen and Claritin
Space blanket
Matches in waterproof container
Chapstick
TP and baby wipes
LED Headlamp
Surefire flashlight
Glock G40 10mm w/Surefire X300
Bear spray
Kill kit(license, 6 pr latex gloves, knife stone, pen, 6" electrical tape, spare blades, 20' paracord, hand sanitizer)
Not pictured- 2 24oz plastic water bottles and quart ziplock w/lunch and snacks.

20180916_115936.jpg

20180916_120506.jpg

20180915_131955(0).jpg

20180916_121914.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Jackomason
The best advice for packing is to place it all on the floor and go through every piece and place it in a pile; don't need, might need and need. Then go through the might need to find kit in the need pile that will work in its place. Then go through the need pile to once again trim it down. It can take quite a few trips or years to fine tune your pack, every trip and person is different. I am one of those eccentric types concerning weight; light is right, lighter is righter.

Camp booties, nothing like being out all day and arriving to build camp and put booties on my tired feet. I also do the majority of camp chores wearing them. Not down booties as they can soak-out in rain and snow to become heavy and useless.

Water shoes for crossing rivers keeps trail boots dry and they offer more traction and protection than bare feet.

A 3/4 closed cell foam pad always goes with me. Sit on, stand on, lay on. Hunt, hike, range day, everywhere. Z rest my favorite. Cut a hole in the corner and duct tape around the hole, tie a loop of p cord to secure it so it will not blow away.

Wire, zip ties, pcord, rubber bands, duct tape, Velcro strap, safety pins, carpet needle with carpet thread already in the eye of the needle with knot on the end, gorilla glue doubles as repair for kit and body.

Contractor trash bag taped to the bottom of my pack with duct tape. Slept in one in a bad blow.

Bic lighter in just about every pocket and pack. Single best skill is being able to build a fire anywhere and anytime.

Zip lock bags, many uses.

Bug dope and lip goo.

Storm whistle on every pack shoulder strap.

I carry a stove during the day and leave a thermos in camp full of hot water before I leave for the day. I fill it at night so in the AM while still wrapped up warm and snug, a cup of coffee kick starts me. A little heavy but worth the weight for camp comfort. Its wrapped in closed cell foam with duct tape for those -40 trips.

Carried an Icom hand held VHF radio with guard channel, way before Spot. Airplanes and satellites will pick up mayday transmissions. Of course it would not locate by GPS but someone will answer the call. A buddie of mine used it in backcountry of the Wrangles contacting a jet liner ( who knew their approx. waypoints by planes avionics), an hour bush flight in. Within a couple hours their bush pilot arrived with 212th alerted and on their way also. You can also tell your bush pilot you will call them for news and such as they fly the area. All areas have specific freqs planes use for traffic.

I also make my own freeze dried meals.

My list would look something like this
Adapt for current weather, duration of hunt

Rifle
Ammo
Binos And/or Spotting scope
Tripod
Glassing pad or lightweight folding backpacking camp chair

Hard shell
Heavier Insulating layer for glassing
Lighter layer or mid layer
Baselayers
Underwear
Pants
Boots
Hat

Klymit Sleeping Pad
Klymit pillow
Sleeping bag or sleeping bag liner
Jet-boil w/ fuel
Mountain house meals
Snacks (Bars & dessert)
Long spoon
MSR Water Filter
Dromedary bag or bladder
Nalgene Water Bottle
Electrolyte Drink mixes for water
Lighter
Vaseline & Cotton balls firestarters
Water purifier tabs
Backup headlamp
Flashlight
Paracord
Leatherman
Toiletries
Butt wipes
Sidearm of choice
DL
Hunting license
Keys
Fixed blade Knife
Havalon knife
Black Diamond Headlamp
Sunglasses
Snuff
Hand sanitizer

InReach

Medkit in Magpul Daka
Kerlex Roll
ABD
bandaids
steri strips
TAO
Coban & Tape
Hemostats
Raptors
Betadine
Sutures
Tournequet
Advil
Zofran
Benadryl

Every pack I own has compass pull tabs on every zipper.
You wouldn't believe how many i have given to lost hunters along with a heading to follow to get them back out.
All packs contain the following:
Adventure Medical kit sized to the hunt(1-2person, 3-5person)
Small survival kit in each pack based on the REI kit with a bic lighter and some paracord added
Handheld GPS w/extra batteries
Compass
Emergency Bivy
Lifestraw type water filter
MSR Pocket rocket stove
Stainless cup/pot
1 can fuel
Backup fixed blade knife (MORA typically)
Woodsmans Hatchet
Stainless water bottle
Headlamp w extra batteries
2 Trash bags
cyalume light stick
1 freeze dried meal
healthy supply of shit tickets

I then tailor the rest to the hunt. I try to have at least 3 ways to start fire, two ways to stay warm (space blanket/bivy)

I have stitched up a buddy that cut himself to the bone opening his lunch 4 miles from the truck, had another guy damn near shoot himself in the foot. Used the gps map to steer lost hunters in a direction and then given them a compass tab off my pack to get them out safely....you just never know and I plan on being prepared.