• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What do you think about McRees Stocks

338RUM runner

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 6, 2010
S.E. Idaho
I know there is a thread about show your McRees, but what do you think about them. Are they good and why do you like them. What Cal. are you shooting. Wanting to get one.

Re: What do you think about McRees Stocks

Love mine, its fairly new so have not shot it much, Rem 20" 308 calls it home for now. Thinking of turning it into a 16" 300BLK. I will be getting another McRee for my next build.

Pros:
Cheap for a chassis, Can get them "raw" and do whatever paint you want.

Non vee chassis, its more of a half round/flat mounting. Less stress than a vee chasse and IMO better.

Compact version available

Cons:

Alum can get hot and cold to the touch in summer/winter, nothing that cant be taken care of with there stock pack or some mole skin/ whatever

When folded the butt stock has a little flop to it (that I dont like)

Had my 338LM in one for the better part of a year. Tried like crazy to get the ergos to work for me and despite knowing Scott personally and all sorts of fiddling and f'ing with it I could never get things quite right.

Eventually I was able to got behind an AICS 2 and was "at home" almost immediately so I ended up pulling my 338LM out of the McRee chassis and dropping it in to a CIP length AICS. I have standardized all my precision rifles on that platform and have been very happy.

Regardless of my personal experience, Scott makes an awesome piece of gear and if it works for you I don't think you will find a better guy to work with. His customer support is second to none and he really will work with you to get things exactly the way you want. I would suggest that if you can find somebody close who has one to get behind it and see how it works for you, same advice would go for the AICS or any other chassis system for that matter.

I have 3 so I really like them. One is main comp gun, 260. One is a 308 and the other is a 338 lapua mag.

Pros:
Adjustability for length of pull, cheek weld and butt stock. Folding option for cleaning and needed on 338 to get in my case (long barrel). Weight of the stock is just right for me (5.5lbs). No bedding needed. No bottom metal needed. His mags work great. Been running them hard for 2 years now. Can get it in the raw and paint it any color you want. Built in flush cups, no extra charge.
I use the same grip on all 3 and my AR's, so ergonomicly my grip is the same on all the weapons.

Con:
You will need to use a stock pack, but all most every one uses one. Or you could just get mole skin as previously posted.

Buy one or a couple you won't be disappointed.

Dino

I have a 338 RUM BDL that i'm wanting to use with the McRees. Looking into the Rem LA extra long. Scott seems to think it will work. Any ideas out there.

I'm sure they work awesome, and I know everyone says "It doesn't matter what they look like if they work." I would have tried one but I think they are ugly. Kinda looks like my old Erector Set.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pyplynr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm sure they work awesome, and I know everyone says "It doesn't matter what they look like if they work." I would have tried one but I think they are ugly. Kinda looks like my old Erector Set. </div></div>

I could not agree more. No doubt the quality and function are great, but they are the ugliest chassis out in my opinion, and the Rock Solid chassis is a close second. Yes, I know it doesn't matter what it looks like, as long as it functions, but.......it's all in the eye of the beholder.

My Erector Set was one of my best toys when i was a kid 60+ yrs ago. Maybe thats what makes me want to have one.

Not only are they very well made and easily adjustable they seem to produce good accuracy. This rifle is my brothers that Scott Mcree built for him a whial back. As I recall it a 700SA with a 18" Broughton chambered for 118LR with a pic rail that Scott made as well. APA did the finish on the rifle, and installed their shifer.
mcree_adjustLarge.jpg

mcreeFolded_adjustLarge.jpg

coatingMcree_adjustLarge.jpg

These are 3 5 shot groups @ 100 yards shot by my brother with 118LR:
0401001237a.jpg

0401001237.jpg

0501001114.jpg

And here is 5 shots @ 300 yards:
0401001313a.jpg

That one honestly doesn't look to bad and that's some damn good shooting for sure.

Plan to order one this month while they still are on sale..for my new Savage 10FP-SR. Can't beat the sale pricing!

Best chassis system I've ever used.

I've owned a McRee chassis in the past and have shot quite a few of them.

One of the most important features in any chassis is the action block. The McRee chassis really hits a home run here. It is precision made to very tight tolerances and holds the action properly providing for a stress free setup that will rarely need skim bedding. Only very badly out of spec receivers would need skim bedding in the chassis.

The chassis is ergonomically well designed.

As previously mentioned a stock pack is strongly recommended because the aluminum on your face isn't very comfortable in colder and warmer temperatures. But the stock pack is a simple, elegant and cost effective solution that is more comfortable regardless of temperature.

The hinge on the folding stock model does not have a locking/positive detent to keep the butt in the folded position. The hinge does keep the butt captive in the closed position but there is enough movement in the butt that the bottom of the hinge can round over time. This is a minor thing but something I'd like to see changed. I've discussed this with Scott before and although he was receptive to the criticism, he insisted his chassis is designed that way on purpose.

Most AR pistol grips will work with the chassis but may require minor fitting.

Scott McRee is a wonderful person who is extremely customer satisfaction focused. He goes out of his way to help his customers. That type of support from the manufacturer is a huge thing in this industry and shouldn't be taken lightly. He is a very stand up guy.

I vote the McRee chassis "good to go". Great quality, great performance, good ergonomics, excellent modularity and outstanding customer support.

Mark

"One of the most important features in any chassis is the action block. The McRee chassis really hits a home run here. It is precision made to very tight tolerances and holds the action properly providing for a stress free setup that will rarely need skim bedding. Only very badly out of spec receivers would need skim bedding in the chassis."

<span style="color: #CC0000">This is very true! I was amazed at how well the chassis allows for a positive return to zero after removal of the BA. I removed and installed several times and it was much less than 1/2 moa shift.</span>

"The hinge on the folding stock model does not have a locking/positive detent to keep the butt in the folded position. The hinge does keep the butt captive in the closed position but there is enough movement in the butt that the bottom of the hinge can round over time. This is a minor thing but something I'd like to see changed. I've discussed this with Scott before and although he was receptive to the criticism, he insisted his chassis is designed that way on purpose."

<span style="color: #CC0000">I may be wrong but I think Scott has an updated hinge. </span>

"Scott McRee is a wonderful person who is extremely customer satisfaction focused. He goes out of his way to help his customers. That type of support from the manufacturer is a huge thing in this industry and shouldn't be taken lightly. He is a very stand up guy."

<span style="color: #CC0000">That is an understatement, Scott is the benchmark for "good people". He also is a BIG supporter of our military and that is the most important thing for me.</span>

I ordered one last night. That means squat as I am a real newbie to this. They seem to offer a good product with nice features at a decent price. They are on sale now.

I do not give a tiny rodents azz about how it "looks" if it shoots and if I can shoot it.

I have a Nikon to put on it when I get it but I am looking to get a real tactical scope ASAP.

I have had some trouble getting mine to fit me very well, compared to AI chassis which just seem to fit like a glove, but I still like the chassis a lot. Part of my problem is that I have small hands, so that I can't fully contact my hand with the pistol grip and have good trigger control, which requires me to contort my hand a bit and have a little less control on the grip. After time I have adapted to it and am pretty relaxed and in control behind the gun. I'm going to get one of the BCM pistol grips that's a little more vertical to see if that can make it a little more ergonomic. The two other mild criticisms I have is that because the rear hand hold isn't solid, the stock has been a bit temperamental with some shapes of rear bags, and that the pic rail-atlas bipod combo brings the front of the rifle a bit high off the ground, and in order to shoot across level ground or down slight inclines prone I have to bring my chest up off the ground which at times creates some muscle tension, something I don't experience with a harris bipod. These really aren't big issues, but something to think about if you're a smaller guy.

Scott has very impressive customer service; after seeing that my chassis had been delivered, he called me the next day to see if I had played with it and mounted my rifle in it to see if I was happy with everything, and even threw in some extra goodies. I would not hesitate to order another chassis from him if I had the need.

I'd have to agree with others, I'm sure they are good quality chassis. But I hate looking at them, from a distance they look like something Savage would build.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ColdBoreMiracle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd have to agree with others, I'm sure they are good quality chassis. But I hate looking at them, from a distance they look like something Savage would build. </div></div>

Well you know you can get the barrel nut conversion for the 700 from Scott as well
wink.gif

I've shot the chassis a few times, in a few different calibers and I can tell you it is a very quality piece! I will have one in the near future for myself. Scott did all the weapons upgrades to our department's rifles and it is entirely true about his outstanding customer sevice! Good dude!!

Well i ordered the extra long LA LH folder and should be here Thursday. Looking forward to getting to play with it and mounting my 338 Ultra in it. Toys, can't have to many.

Good decision. I have 2. One is a comp gun holding a 260 and one with a 700P LTR in 308. I absolutely love them. Scott is awesome. ALL of my future rifles will be in McRee's.

ape8gj.jpg

Well i got my McRees extra long LA LH and realy like the look and feel of it, OD Green. I did change the grip to a Ergo 4005-BK. Had to cut the top off flat with a knife but it still has a curve for the web of your hand, feels good to me and my ARs have the same. Threading the barrel for a Ross 4 port brake later today so i can shoot my 338 Ultra in it and not kill my body. Thanks you Scott for all the time and help with the mag.

Have been considering McRee's for the past few weeks since McMillans order time is 6mo. now. But felt the AICS was just a bit more substantial than McRee and still has a fore end rail for a hand stop. Sorry McRee, it was close.

I'm not sorry , I really like my new McRees and going to get another one for my 700 SA.

whats the chassis made of?

edit: never mind i found it on the site. seems like a pretty good deal.

Re-Edit: Noticed the slot on the bottom so that you can use their adjustable sling mount. Will that inlet allow you to add the same Versa-Pod adaptor mount that the B&C stock would use (fits into their inlet) or would i need to order a different type of adapter mount that attaches to the existing bipod mounting location?

Nice rifle jbell. Can't imagine how good it would shoot with a scope on it.
smile.gif

I just got one. Finally had a chance to use it. I took my .308 barreled action out of my McMillan, bolted it into the McRee and it shot perfect. I was really impressed with it. I didn't even need to re-zero the rifle. 1st round hits on 45% IPSC steel at 400 yds. <span style="text-decoration: line-through">That being said, I can't do the build I'd intended for it, so I'm going to sell it.
frown.gif
</span>

It is very comfortable to shoot, fits well and worked flawlessly with my AICS mags. I wouldn't hesitate to get another one some day.

I'm really liking mine...now I need some NV.

DSC00316_zpsf2a9747c.jpg

Changed out the recoil pad on mine tonight, put a Sims grind to fit( biggest one they make) to old to get my butt kicked by the 338 Ultra. fit right on. As soon as it warms up a little i'll take it out shooting. Going to order a SA Tuesday. Triad stock pack will be here Friday, it's a lefty. The more i handle the McRees the more i like the way it feels.

i have also been looking into these, where would be the best place to order one.

thanks, coby

Always thought without the buttstock, they would make a great pistol setup ! I have the XLR pistol version .

I was about to buy one yesterday, but I have a bottom bolt release action so I emailed a question about that action fitting in their stock. I got a quick reply from Scott and he said that they had a new stock in the works to accomodate the bolt release without having to take the action out of the stock. They're trying to get the prototype out for SHOT, and production runs out mid January.

I'm on the list! My barreled action is patiently waiting for its stock.

I'm sure Scott is doing the 24/7 thing to keep up with his ideas and demand. Both are top of the curve.

I ordered mine on Tuesday, and it was at my front door on Friday. How can you beat that? And it was on sale!

It took all of 5 minutes to swap from my original stock over to the new one. I can't wait to get out and shoot it!

I ordered the Fixed Rifle Stock G5 TMAG in OD. I have a Savage 10FCP with the 4.4" spacing. I also ordered a few mags....

My only regret is I wish I had picked up a stock pack at the same time...

triadtactical.com has some very nice ones in diff colors and RH or LH. i got the large Multicam. TT-4000-MC to go with my OD stock. Very nice fit.

Thanks! I'll look into those. Also have to look into a good bipod and sling for it.

My experience is in 3 gun and pistol competitions. I have been learning a lot on here, and am slowly working my way into some precision/ longer distance shooting.

I got one and love it. Also got a Triad stock pack. As far as slop in the folded position, I experience none with the stock pack on.

In fact most times I have to check my man card when un folding it.

Top quality products from both manufacturers

I like mine. The McRees offers a lot for the $$$ IMHO.
Has a lot of adjustment; not sure how someone would not be able to get comfortable behind it, except for the reach from the grip to the trigger, which seems to be a similar distance in all the chassis I've see.

Joe

Attachments

• 260-2.jpg
    260-2.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 17