• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing What do you think about this tools?

gknittel

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 29, 2007
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Hi guy, I searched the forum and couldn't find any topic about manson precision action truing kit. I was wondering what your oppinions are about these tools..
I know the right and professional way to do this is with a lathe, but I don't have access to a gunsmith with an accurate enough lathe near my city and if I go to a big workshop equiped with accurate lathes, they probably won't have the fixtures to attach the action and bolt to those lathes.
I read that after using this kit, since all the front surfaces of the action (action face and bolt locking lugs) will end up a little deeper there wont be necessary to touch the barrel..
Any comments would be great..
Thanks alot

Re: What do you think about this tools?

the money you will spend on those tools would be better spent with a good smith who knows what hes doing. Most smiths will true your action and bolt for $125-$150. But after its trued, you will either need a new barrel, or your old barrel will need to be set back and rechambered. You can not use your old barrel as is once you true your action.

I know a gunsmith is the way to go, but gunsmiths in my country won't do this job. They don't seem to know what I'm talking about when I try to explain what to do to my action.

My other choice would be to do all paperwork to export my action to a smith in USA and all the paperwork to re-import it once it's trued. Unless you know a way to get it done without paperwork.. but I think your laws and our laws demands that rifle actions to be delivered with licenses... I don't know if I can send it "for repair" or some other similar way.

That's why I was thinking on manson's tools. I can get them for what they cost, without licenses of any kind since they're just tools.
I just wanted to know if these tools will do a good work.
Maybe I will do more harm than good.

Thanks alot!!

Manson hand driven tools are just that, hand driven tools. They are the best of that type. I also have some Manson lathe operated tools and find them to be of utmost quality. If you have patience, mechanically inclined, and some common sense, you will be better off, and learn something in the process. If your gun shoots better, GREAT! If it shoots the same, lesson learned, and if you fuck it up, lesson learned again and you start over. Simple but true. Happy shooting.