• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

what do you think of AK?

Rambo Sonny

Private
Minuteman
May 24, 2022
Boston
When debate starts regarding the superiority of AR vs AK, personal opinions usually takes over. Like the debate of Glock vs 1911, the answers are hardly ever objective. The simple way to look at it is they each serve their own purpose.
But if I had to give my own analogy, using an AK is like driving a manual car, you are much more involved in the process.

Attachments

• 123123123123.png
    123123123123.png
    285.4 KB · Views: 174
Since I'm a genetic defect and couldn't enlist when I went rifle shopping I just picked them all up and fiddled with them. The AK fits my Slavic ass best and i do well with it. I agree it is more of a manual in an automatic world. But if the Zpaw hits FAL, FTW...

I've been shooting the AR more because the classes I taught pree rhona that's primarily what was on my line so if i was teaching basic manipulationsit just made sense. In the end it's a tool, and they all have good and bad points but that commie gun is a beauty, and if you say otherwise 😉
66029361_2607874422558654_1727997233036525568_n.jpg

Reactions: Hog Hunters
Nice clickbait thread.
But if I had to give my own analogy, using an AK is like driving a manual car, you are much more involved in the process.
No. As a lifelong three pedal car aficionado, and an AR and AK owner, I'll say all guns are like driving a manual car. AK's are a manual car with no AC or windows that roll down. Still gets you to your destination, just not as comfortably.

If I’m stuck in the middle of nowhere or Siberia without access to a can of oil a ak, anywhere else a ar. Just the weight alone makes the choice for me, but love and have both.

I will always prefer the AK manual of arms and they *are* somewhat more reliable.

Believe all the perpetuated myths you want to... They're clunky and outdated and every attempt to modernize them is an expensive bandaided attempt to achieve mediocrity. There are some positive features, but enough of the system sucks bad enough by modern standards that to properly integrate those features you need a new design. AK fanbois are one half-step better than the guys that have nostalgia about the M14, FAL, etc...

Guns.
I like variety....
I have various AKs.
I like ARs better.

Reactions: delta6
I would rather have an AR but I'm fine with an AK with a red dot and a light. That can easily be archived with an Ultimak and thorntail mount. I have a 74 arsenal that I would take to war if that was all I had. I think you should be agnostic with any of the systems and know how to run them all.

I still laugh about when I bought a ak a few decades ago, the front post was way off so I went by a gunsmith I knew and the answer was just hit it with a hammer, and almost 3 decades later the answer to allot of ak repairs is still just hit with a hammer.

Reactions: the monk
I like aks

I find it shocking that the ak market has such poor self policing that people can essentially buy hand grenades for 600+ dollars and those companies don’t go out of business.

I find it hilarious you need to spend ~1000 dollars to buy one that’s worth a fuck in 2021/22

i love my ar rifles but when people start talking about which ar brands are “battle proven” i just laugh and think about the ak.

Reactions: Toxicnut
"Whup, up, up... Here we go... Ay Kay Foty-Seven. The very best there is...

When you absolutely, positively, have to kill every motherfucker in the ROOM!... accept NO SUBSTITUTE!"

-Ordell Robbie 1997

Last edited:
A good AK is a reliable rifle, but that’s about where it ends. They really suck ass for mounting optics and acc’s, the sights suck and you’re stuck with them, the stock options also kinda suck, and the handguards get stupid fucking hot when firing compared to other systems and there’s not a damn thing you can do about it. Not to mention no bolt hold open, no port cover, and clanky ass function and ergonomics.

AK’s made a little sense when you could roll the dice on a WASR for $350-$400 and likely get a reliable gun and ammo was 1/3 of the price of decent 556. Now that the prices have gone through the roof to over what you can get similar build quality AR’s for and ammo has gone to basically the same price IMO you’d have to be an idiot to buy one over an AR.

Agree
A good AK is a reliable rifle, but that’s about where it ends. They really suck ass for mounting optics and acc’s, the sights suck and you’re stuck with them, the stock options also kinda suck, and the handguards get stupid fucking hot when firing compared to other systems and there’s not a damn thing you can do about it. Not to mention no bolt hold open, no port cover, and clanky ass function and ergonomics.

AK’s made a little sense when you could roll the dice on a WASR for $350-$400 and likely get a reliable gun and ammo was 1/3 of the price of decent 556. Now that the prices have gone through the roof to over what you can get similar build quality AR’s for and ammo has gone to basically the same price IMO you’d have to be an idiot to buy one over an AR.

I’d agree with most that the AR is more modern. But a good WASR, or the like, is still fun to shoot and look at. I also have an M+M M10, with 12.5” barrel and pic rail on front handguard that I have a T1 mounted to. Super handy, and shoots the subsonic ammo, with a suppressor, like a dream.

Reactions: delta6
When debate starts regarding the superiority of AR vs AK, personal opinions usually takes over. Like the debate of Glock vs 1911, the answers are hardly ever objective. The simple way to look at it is they each serve their own purpose.
What’s with the anal beads wristband?

• Haha
Reactions: TonyTheTiger
Like your analogy. Got an old AK, when it first arrived had problems with the bolt jamming to the point of being downright difficult to remove and disassemble for cleaning. Then it wouldn't come out at all, and I beat the hell out of it to get it out. Cleaned it again, put it back together.

It has fired flawlessly since, and it is such a joy to shoot......but I've a couple of M&Ps for our main self defense guns, and those are the go-to guns. I love the AK but will never trust it again after those intitial problems.

Of course, my FFL says sell the AK and an AR and buy a really good AK. One of these days........the AK has about the best reliability reputation in the world.

Aks are excellent rifles. Unfortunately they are collector items and priced accordingly.

I don't think about AKs. Like wheel guns, they do nothing for me.

Reactions: Jethro21
If it cost less than a surplus SKS did 15 years ago, and 7.62 cost what it did 15 years ago, and I had a modest faith that it wouldn’t blow my face off, it would be the perfect gun for mag dumping into trash. The goal of a dumpster fire is to enjoy it for the comedic value, not to invest in it as an heirloom.

Reactions: Milf Dots
AK's are fun to shoot. Not everyone's first choice, but would be wise to know how to maintain and use one.

I have a few. 2 Russian in each caliber and a Bulgarian 74. I much prefer the 74 but I have found the factory 5.45x39 loads we can get here suck in the accuracy department. I have a pile of new Hornady brass and 60 grain VMAX bullets to play with once I get around to it. I've spent the last couple of years really learning and shooting the platform. It has pros and cons like everything else.

I still prefer my AR platform rifles. They are much faster to reload, have way better ergonomics and higher accuracy potential, but the AK's work and are plenty accurate for a "combat" rifle. I added red dots to all of them. For a handguard/rail the RS Regulate is light and good enough to mount a light and vertical grip. It also helps with keeping the rifle cooler since the platform gets hot quick. They have good ventilation. Ultimak works for both red dot and a light and it holds zero. Some people worry about heat on the optic. I never had an issue. I run side mount optic mounts on the rifles that have them in RS Regulate mounts. They also hold zero and return to zero well.

Upgrade the safety lever and adjust it for the right tension to make it easy to manipulate. If you can, cut the barrel back and run a combo front sight/gas block to get some weight off the front end of the rifle. They are already front heavy. It really helps in the balance department. An extended charging handle is nice, but not needed. Get a better grip unless you have small hands or wear bulky gloves all the time. Then test fit all of your magazines to the rifle. Some may need a little work to make them fit correctly. Trigger is not needed unless you like to shoot fast. If you want speed look at the ALG. The KNS adjustable gas piston is a nice upgrade too since most of the AK's are so overgassed.

Reactions: knucklballz
Amazing.

It’s 2022. I want a red dot. A light. Maybe a suppressor and an IR laser.

AKs suck for all of those.

AK IS BEST RIFLE OF INFANTRY AND BEEN HAS SINCE GREAT PATRIOTIC WAR. STUPID CAPITALIST TRY TO FIX AK WITH RAIL AND LIGHT AND DONKEY DICK OF GRIP. AK IS FINE SHITHEADS GO BUY AR15 OF PALMETTO IF WANT RUIN DUMB RIFLE WITH DUMB STUFF.

Reason #2 to get an AK...You can wear cool hats.
cossack-slavyansk.jpg

THAT SPECIAL HAT OF SABLE. ISSUE ONLY TO HERO OF RUSSIAN FEDERATION FOR THIRTY YEARS OF SERVICE.

SEE HOW GOOD AK LOOK WITH NO LIGHT OR FUCKY GRIP. HE PROBABLY KILL MANY TERRORIST EVERY DAY WHILE FAT AMERICAN NOT EVEN KILL PAPER TARGET.

#1 reason to own an AK. When Russia; finishes up with Ukraine, partners up with the ChiComs, and flies over here; they won't be bringing any 5.56 along with them...

Reactions: madppcs
#1 reason to own an AK. When Russia; finishes up with Ukraine, partners up with the ChiComs, and flies over here; they won't be bringing any 5.56 along with them...
I really appreciated it years ago when they were just about giving all forms of x39 ammo away.
The twin spam-can crates of 7n6 5.45 were an absolute bargain. Nobody wanted it then.

Reactions: camocorvette
I still prefer my AR platform rifles. They are much faster to reload, have way better ergonomics and higher accuracy potential, but the AK's work and are plenty accurate for a "combat" rifle. I added red dots to all of them. For a handguard/rail the RS Regulate is light and good enough to mount a light and vertical grip. It also helps with keeping the rifle cooler since the platform gets hot quick. They have good ventilation. Ultimak works for both red dot and a light and it holds zero. Some people worry about heat on the optic. I never had an issue. I run side mount optic mounts on the rifles that have them in RS Regulate mounts. They also hold zero and return to zero well.

I have both AK47 and AR15/M16 - Both are good combat rifles. If I knew I was going to be living in the mud for 3 months without a cleaning kit or opportunity to maintain my rifle as it should be, I might choose the AK. Mine is dead reliable and far more accurate in the hands of a trained marksman than people give it credit for. My AK47 has the best trigger of any mil style rifle I own. I would not want to be on the receiving end of one inside of 200y. But...

Compared to the AK, the AR15 is lighter, faster, more controllable, easier to engage multiple tgts with controlled fire. The safety and charging handle are more ergonomic. The ammo and mags weigh less. Keep it clean and lubed and the AR15 is also dead reliable and unless you are in an extended fire fight it is not an issue and even then, as long as you clean it after use, it is a good rifle. The only failure I have ever had with one was a gas tube that split on a short bbl upper being used for full auto fire alot. The normal length gas tubes are not a problem and the FAL-like gas piston uppers are even better.

The AR15 is a dirty action, but as long as you are able to clean and re-lube it after use, it is reliable. The gas rings wear out if you shoot it alot but they are cheap and easy to replace and it will run OK even with them in bad shape. If I was told that I was going into harms way, would be shot at and have to defend myself from others and could only carry the AR or the AK, I would choose the AR. If I was going to shoot in a IPSC 3-gun match and could only choose one, I would choose the AR. If I was competing in a NRA hi-power style precision marksmanship match and could only choose these two options, I would also choose the AR15. AR15 is faster to make a 2 shot double tap at close range but I would also offer that the AK47 might not need a double tap to be just as effective. One well placed 7.62/39 might just be equal to two well place 5.56mm? The newer SS109 ammo might also reduce the need for dbl tap in a real world enviro. Just saying, some of our own BS must be shoved aside to perform and objective assessment. Think about it. They both will trump a spear. The M16 is more controllable on full auto but even so, it very tough to keep more than the first two shots on a humanoid tgt at 50y or more. It is fun but mostly useless for both of them.

If I was going to be in a outdoor survival situation for 6 months to a couple of years with no end in sight, and would have NO opportunity to clean or maintain my rifle and was expecting to use it for hunting, self defense at close range, from both humans and large predators, (Brown Bear/Big Cats), would be out in the elements in blowing sand, mud, snow/ice, rain for a very long period with no chance to RTB for R&R, I would seriously consider the AK47 but would take the FAL over both of them.

AK IS BEST RIFLE OF INFANTRY AND BEEN HAS SINCE GREAT PATRIOTIC WAR. STUPID CAPITALIST TRY TO FIX AK WITH RAIL AND LIGHT AND DONKEY DICK OF GRIP. AK IS FINE SHITHEADS GO BUY AR15 OF PALMETTO IF WANT RUIN DUMB RIFLE WITH DUMB STUFF.

THAT SPECIAL HAT OF SABLE. ISSUE ONLY TO HERO OF RUSSIAN FEDERATION FOR THIRTY YEARS OF SERVICE.

SEE HOW GOOD AK LOOK WITH NO LIGHT OR FUCKY GRIP. HE PROBABLY KILL MANY TERRORIST EVERY DAY WHILE FAT AMERICAN NOT EVEN KILL PAPER TARGET.

Papakha is a wool hat worn by men throughout the Caucasus and also in uniformed regiments in the region and beyond. The word papakha is of Turkic origin (papakh). There are two different Caucasian papakhas. One, called a papaha, is a high fur hat, usually made of karakul sheep skin. The hat has the general appearance of a cylinder with one open end and is set upon the head in such a way as to have the brim touch the temples. Some of them come with ear flaps which can be folded up when not in use. The other style is called a kubanka, which is similar to the papaha, except shorter and with no ear flaps. Shortly after the Russian Revolution of 1917, papakhas were removed from the new Red Army uniform because of their association with the old Tsarist regime and the fact that many Cossack regiments of the Tsarist army fought against the Bolsheviks. During the Russian Civil War, many Bolshevik cavalrymen and officers (like Vasily Chapayev) wore papakhas or kubankas because many of them were cossacks and the hat had been part of the cavalryman's uniform. Papakhas became part of the uniform again in 1935, but in 1941, were reserved exclusively for full colonels, generals and marshals, thus becoming a symbol of status and high rank. In 1994, they were once again removed from military use. In 2005 however, papakhas were reinstated. They are being worn by many Cossacks in the Ukrainian conflict. The Ukrainian war has separated the Cossacks into pro-Russian and pro-Ukrainian factions resulting in a civil war between ethnic Cossacks.

Cossack fighters at a firing range in Donetsk, Ukraine, in March. Cossacks once fought alongside rebels but are now being purged from separatist ranks.Credit...Andrew Burton/Getty Images
05COSSACK-1-articleLarge-v2.jpg

Wearing papakha, traditional fur hats of Kuban cossacks, pro-Russian rebels guard a lobby in the regional administration headquarters in Donetsk on July 12, 2014, during a press conference of separatist Donetsk People's Republic Prime Minister, Alexander Borodai, and rebel military chief, Igor Strelkov. Thousands of panicked refugees are flooding highways and packed trains heading out of Donetsk, the main remaining rebel strongholds in eastern Ukraine, fearing attacks by government forces who lost 30 soldiers to defiant militants. AFP PHOTO / MAX VETROV (Photo credit should read MAXV VETROV/AFP via Getty Images)
wearing-papakha-traditional-fur-hats-of-kuban-cossacks-prorussian-a-picture-id452089174

Last edited: