• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

what do you think of bore snakes?

strider09

Private
Minuteman
Feb 9, 2009
wichita KS.
I have a new rifle (actually I have 2, both ar type's but one will probably not be used for awile) and have yet to shoot it as I need to get the proper cleaning supplies first. what does everyone think of bore snakes? I have never used one but have heard some about them. I know they are supposed to be faster/easier but do they hurt the barrel/affect accuracy?
One is the DPMS chrome molly barrel, and the other is from white oak.

Whenever I have questions I turn to those that I trust, that would be you, the snipers hide forum.

Re: what do you think of bore snakes?

The snake isnt gonna hurt anything, actually good at not hurting...nor will it clean real well or be fast in utility. You can snake it through the ejection port for a swipe. It's limited field kit but small, light, and portable. If you want to clean in mantainence interval; get a coated 1-piece rod. Proper and faster.

As field kit it can't help you plunge a stuck case that won't extract. When all works fine, you don't need it. When things don't work, it's a limp dick. My take is either you have room for a good rod or you don't. If you don't, consider a multi-piece brass rod kit for field emergency.

i think they would be useful for clearing mud/sand from the bore quickly.

I would not use them for regular cleaning on anything I care about. Unless you are washing it after each go round you are dragging the same grit back through the bore with each pull.

I will stick to an Otis kit for field cleaning and a Dewey coated rod and bore guide for bench/thorough cleaning.

I only use them in my rifles that have a chrome bore for the same reason LoneWolf stated, dragging the same grit back through the bore. It will hurt chromo and stainless barrels, but not chrome lined barrels.

Thanks for the advice, I guess I'll stay away from the bore snake and just get a good solid rod and bore guide.
I've never had a gun that I cared about before and just want to do things right with my good ones.
Any recomendations on a good maker for the rod and bore guide? something that won't damage the barrel?

Mike Lucas makes a great bore guide at a good price. Dewey coated one piece rods are what I see/hear most guys using/recommend. I've been a habitual over cleaner that is going to experiment with cleaning a lot less and see how it goes.

As to the bore snake, it's been covered pretty well, it's of no help with a stuck case etc. Most of us are not benchrest shooters, we don't consider a barrel shot out or garbage when it starts shooting 0.2" groups at 100 yards. Those guys throw out barrels that many of us would kill to have. I think the whole dragging contamination back through the barrel is over thinking it. The Bore snake probably has way less PSI applied to the bore in it than a snug fitting patch does and I'd be willing to bet you could put some solvent on a brush brush the dirty barrel, run a patch down it, take that contaminated patch and run it in the barrel till your arm fell off and you wouldn't ruin the barrel.

Now if you have mud/sand/etc. in your barrel sure that coated on a bore snake or anything is a bad idea to drag down the barrel repeatedly. For typical barrel fowling and the little bit of copper/powder/fouling the brush is going to take off and put into the bore snake.....there's no way that's any more harmful to the barrel than the bronze brush is after it's first pass down the barrel with solvent on it, that contamination is pooling in the barrel solvent and that brush is grinding it back into the barrel, that patch is doing the same thing when it starts down the barrel it's contaminated the first 1" of the barrel and dragging it down the rest.

I don't think they do a very good job cleaning, but I do use them at the end of a range day, and usually only for one pass, I wouldn't sit there and try to totally clean a barrel with one. I do think it's also a good idea to clean the bore snakes out now and then.

Bottom line is cleaning is a HUGE controversy as is anything related to it, you will read important people in the shooting arena telling you everything from never clean to clean every 5-10 shots all the time. Myself the more and more I read on it I think it's safe to say people do more damage over cleaning than under. For benchrest shooters sure, they clean frequently for the most part because they need every 0.01" of group accuracy they can get. They throw barrels out that shoot 0.2" and many of their barrels only "last" them 300-500 rounds for peak accuracy.

If one of my barrels goes from 0.4" to 0.5" at 100 yards I could care less, that's still more than enough for my needs. So if the gun still shoots well and accuracy has not fallen off I'm going to avoid frequent heavy cleaning. If it's going to be in a case for a few months sure do a full cleaning, but if I'm going back to the range with it in a couple weeks I'm not worried about it any more

I use a bore guide and coated rod on my centerfire rifles. I do use boresnakes on the .22s though. I put them in a 20oz bottle with water and dishwashing soap to try and clean them.

-dan

Considering the number of post there have been on here that concern boresnakes that broke in the barrel I won't have one as a gift. For light duty they might be alright, but you can't get around the fact they break.

I like Bore Snakes. The only time I WOULDN'T use one is if I had foreign matter such as sand or dirt in my bore. Anything that a projectile or burnt powder leaves behind probably won't hurt your bore if it's on the soft cloth portion of a bore snake when you pull it thru. I think it's a TON easier to damage a bore, throat or crown with improper use of a cleaning rod. Just make sure to keep your bore snake from so much as touching the ground. Dirt or sand WILL damage your bore! I've actually seen people drop their bore snake in the dirt and then use it!!! BAAADDD!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ToddM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mike Lucas makes a great bore guide at a good price.
</div></div>

Yep. I use a Lucas Guide on my 700 and I love it. I plan on getting one for my AR.

I only use Boresnakes in my pistols. For my rifles I use a bore guide and a coated Dewey one piece rod. Same for my target pistols.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sniper7369</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I only use Boresnakes in my pistols. For my rifles I use a bore guide and a coated Dewey one piece rod.</div></div>

+1000 ... same here...

I've said it before and I'll say it again, they're a POS. In a pinch, I might use one in an emergency but, it'd have to be my last choice. For long guns, one peice coated rods first and the GI type sectioned rods (if in the field) if my one peice wasnt near by.

Used in conjunction with Wipeout, they do a good job. I would never carry one afield as the ONLY CHICE, because anything made of string can break and get stuck in the bore.

Thanks everyone for the great info, I'm going to get a Dewey one piece rod and a lucas bore guide.

For field use, a boresnake is fine (but who cleans in the field?).
A short piece od brass rod can usually knock out a stuck case......

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: strider09</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks everyone for the great info, I'm going to get a Dewey one piece rod and a lucas bore guide. </div></div>

Thats the absolute best way, no doubt.

After cleaning my rifles I leave a light coat of oil in the bore. (My rifles sit for a good length of time). When I next go to the range I pull the snake through to remove the oil before firing. Not really to clean it, but to remove the oil.

What do you think of sinclair or jp bore guides? just asking because they are half the price.

I would go with a Tipton Carbon rod....

I've had better service life out of them and they have a better bearing system IMO.

Agree with everyone on the bore guide. Cheap insurance.

Where's the best place to pick this stuff up? Is there a dealer on the Hide that sells it?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would go with a Tipton Carbon rod.... </div></div>

+1 on that - I bought a Tipton for my M1A then proceeded to rid my self of all the Deweys and relpaced them with Tiptons.

The handle is big and corfortable, the rod is solid carbon fiber with no coating to wear off and expose steel (been there). The brass tip is sometimes epoxied on crooked, but I have actually cut one off, drilled it out and re-epoxied on a new shorter "custom" rod.

I've seen the tipton rods, but have always been weary of running carbon fiber down the barrel. Is the carbon coated? Carbon fiber itself is extremely abrasive, I'd be nervous about running that over the crown edge.

It's a good point about the dewey rods though, over time typically you do wear through the rod coating, though for me that has taken a very long time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i think they would be useful for clearing mud/sand from the bore quickly.

I would not use them for regular cleaning on anything I care about. Unless you are washing it after each go round you are dragging the same grit back through the bore with each pull.

I will stick to an Otis kit for field cleaning and a Dewey coated rod and bore guide for bench/thorough cleaning. </div></div>

I agree 100% with LoneWolfUSMC on a good quality coated rod (I'd happily recommend a BoreStix rod - not cheap but seems really well put together) and an OTIS kit for field cleaning.

I'd also add a good bore guide (I use a Sinclair with O Ring and solvent port) and a bottle or two of WipeOut.

Anything that you need to re-use that can't be cleaned after use seems a waste of time to me.........so I'd be more than a bit sceptical about the Bore Snake

ask lowlight about cleaning and boresnakes, he will give you the 411. Look at his posts and read. then decide.

I too use the Tipton carbon fiber rods rather than the Dewey.

I also have an Otis kit.

I do use a bore snake in conjunction with WD40 for a super quick way to clean plastic wad residue out of the barrels of my trap guns (12ga shotguns). That is the only use I've had for bore snakes.

YMMV.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ToddM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've seen the tipton rods, but have always been weary of running carbon fiber down the barrel. Is the carbon coated? Carbon fiber itself is extremely abrasive, I'd be nervous about running that over the crown edge.

It's a good point about the dewey rods though, over time typically you do wear through the rod coating, though for me that has taken a very long time. </div></div>

There is no carbon fiber mesh exposed. Frankly, I doubt there is any in there at all. Think of it as more of a solid graphite golf club shaft. Very smooth. Just have the coating on a Dewey come off while you're not paying attention and scrape at the muzzle end and you will find the Tiptons very attractive, IMO. Obviously most folks love the Deweys, however so whatever floats your boat.

I would not use a bore snake in my centrefire rifles but i do use 1 in my 22lr hunting rifle WITHOUT solvent to take out loose crud.

quick and easy.
not good for thorough cleaning.

Bore snakes are great until they break off in your barrel. I have an Otis kit that stays in my pack. The Otis only gets use if there is debris in the bore that needs to be removed in the field otherwise I use a one piece rod.

Have never owned or used one.
Have used coated Dewey rods for over 10yrs and they are fine.

I have at least 10 bore snakes from 224 to 12 bore. Use em' all the time with a squirt of Wipe Out to clean up a rifle I won't be shooting soon.
Dewey rods with a bore guide and Wipe Out and three patches handle serious cleaning when groups open or storage is planned.
The only time I use a brush is when switching between jacked and lead (either way)

Snakes need frequent trips to the washing machine (not with your undies!) When they start to fray, toss em.

Love em' for my 12 bore Clays O/U. After several 100 rounds of nasty plastic wadded lead reloads, a squirt of Wipe Out and a Snake pass repeated a few times has the Cynergy shiny as new.

Snakes work well for a partial claning in my mind.
when storing a rifle I still brush and remove copper with 4-5 patches then KROIL the juice of the gods
Just an opinion

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shooter65</div><div class="ubbcode-body">quick and easy.
not good for thorough cleaning. </div></div>

Agreed. Especially useful when looking at the bore of a potential purchase that has a dirty bore.