• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What do YOU think of the R700 VTR?

NaturesKin

Private
Minuteman
Aug 10, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
I'm looking to buy my first high powered rifle. For hunting and target shooting. Now I want to own a rifle effectively capable shooting at 1000yrds. Though I may not be able to fire at 1000 yards yet, I'd rather buy one lifetime gun than buying specific guns for specific ranges as I get better.

I've done alot of research. And with my budget, I really admire the R700 VTR in .308 caliber. I believe that choosing the .308 is more affordable than a .300 win mag. Though the .300 win mag has better accuracy, it's more pricey.

Advice and seuggestions are completely admired
grin.gif

Re: What do YOU think of the R700 VTR?

Ummm, wouldn't say that the .300 WM has more accuracy by ANY stretch of the imagination.

If you are on a budget, and looking to get into the long-range work, I'd suggest a remington SPS Varmint .308. The VTR's triangular barrel is pure hype. The SPS Varmint will serve you much better.

The VTR barrel from my experience shoots like shit, i shot a guys VTR at the range for about an hour and couldnt hold anything under 2 or 3 inches @ 100. I can shoot my sps sub MOA all day long, VTR barrel is all hype, the "brake" if you wanna call it that sucks ass. The triangular barrel supposedly being a bull barrel that is cut is ridiculous, it sucks. Go with an SPS varmint or tactical.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: darrenk75b</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ummm, wouldn't say that the .300 WM has more accuracy by ANY stretch of the imagination.

If you are on a budget, and looking to get into the long-range work, I'd suggest a remington SPS Varmint .308. The VTR's triangular barrel is pure hype. The SPS Varmint will serve you much better.</div></div>

Really now? Wow, So why the SPS Varmint?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deadly0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The VTR barrel from my experience shoots like shit, i shot a guys VTR at the range for about an hour and couldnt hold anything under 2 or 3 inches @ 100. I can shoot my sps sub MOA all day long, VTR barrel is all hype, the "brake" if you wanna call it that sucks ass. The triangular barrel supposedly being a bull barrel that is cut is ridiculous, it sucks. Go with an SPS varmint or tactical.</div></div>
Exactly what caliber were you shooting from that Varmint? Cuz I hear the .308 is by far the best.

SPS Tac or Varment in 308. 300WM if you wanna replace the barrel this year. but get the heavy SPS's, they shoot right outta the box.

I was lucky I got to shoot both before buying with no mods being done to either one. I got the SPS Varmint 308, seemed it was the better setup right out of the box. After purchasing mine, I replaced the stock with a 5R stock and had it fitted and bedded. The VTR does much better also after being free floated and bedded with the factory stock. Don't no how it would do in a better stock.
The 26" barrel is a bit heavy to carry and gets in the way moving through the woods. I cut and recrowned mine down to 20" and gained some accuracy and lost some weight. Really enjoy mine and love shooting it.

I've got both the VTR and The SPS Tactical. The SPS will shoot the paints off the VTR. I free floated the barrel and glass bedded the action. It didn't help abit. For a "minute of deer" gun it is fine, but its no tack driver. It will shoot about 3 rounds in a nice Group, but as soon as you get some heat in that barrel the group spreads right out to 1 1/2- 2 in groups. I tested almost 60 loads in it with 155's, 168's,175's. nothing worked, But I will sell it if someone wants to play with it.

A Rem SPS Tactical is a better unit for a dual purpose rifle.

You can look at it as an entry level LTR...but if you replace the stock with an LTR equivalent, the $$$ will end up being closer.

TC

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SniperWannabeee</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deadly0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The VTR barrel from my experience shoots like shit, i shot a guys VTR at the range for about an hour and couldnt hold anything under 2 or 3 inches @ 100. I can shoot my sps sub MOA all day long, VTR barrel is all hype, the "brake" if you wanna call it that sucks ass. The triangular barrel supposedly being a bull barrel that is cut is ridiculous, it sucks. Go with an SPS varmint or tactical.</div></div>
Exactly what caliber were you shooting from that Varmint? Cuz I hear the .308 is by far the best. </div></div>

it was the 308, they are terrible, you will be better off spending your money else where, SPS line, LTR, 5R, or as Greg said a Savage

Sounds strange to me that any Remington wouldn't shoot 2 MOA. I personally think the VTR looks retarded, though. The porting must be a terrible brake replacement. Maybe that's why the shots are so off.

I say take a SPS varmint or SPS tactical.

I have a friend who bought one (.308). With FGMM 168's his shoots about 1 MOA 5 shot groups at 100 & 200 (longest the local range has)occasionally better, sometimes worse (if it's heated up some).

So, I've gotten to try it out from time to time.

My (very) humble assessment:

Cons: Asethetics aside (which are horrible), the trigger is VERY heavy out of the box and has a some creep. He hasn't adjusted it yet...so that might improve things. The stock is terrible. It just feels cheap. The barrel isn't free floated either. The "brake" doesn't seem to make any difference to me, except maybe to take another two inches off the barrel length with little return...and make it louder.

Pros: It's pretty light weight...so maybe as a deer rifle it'd do okay (although for the money others would probably work as well or better). Other than that...can't really come up with any. It does seem to draw attention at the range (both positive and negative) if you care about that sort of thing.

He's planning on buying a Bell & Carlson stock to put it in...so I'm interested in seeing if it shoots any better when bedded in a decent stock.

I have owned both the SPS Tactical and the VTR. I still own the VTR and plan on purchasing a new SPS Tact this week. I must say, the SPS Tact will shoot better than the VTR any day because of the heavier barrel.

Sniperone said it best, the VTR barrel heats up too quick. The muzzle break added to maintaining sight picture at distance, but if you are going to hunt with it you better have some type of hearing protection on because it is loud.

If I were you I would go SPS Tact, SPS Varmint, or a Savage. I only bought the VTR originally because it was all I could get my hands on at the time.

Remington doesnt have the SPS tactical listed on thier website, or I must be blind. The Varmint I TRUELY like though! I think I'm going to go with that. This VTR is a crock I've found out. A waste of money.

The SPS Tactical is a Distributor Special - they have a web page but you need to go to the Remington web site and search for "SPS Tactical" to find it. Or go to the main page, click Whats new then click Remington Premier Dealer Exclusive Firearms and then click the SPS tactical link.

Mine is in my avatar. It is very light (compared to my ex- RRA LAR-8 and the stock flexes but it is useable.

Last weekend, my best group of 5 shots at 100 yards can be covered by a dime. (Using a bipod and read sock) I am still working on my 'form' and waiting for a Manners stock, and then we'll see how she does.

I really like the 700P LTR but could not find one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DustyJacket</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The SPS Tactical is a Distributor Special - they have a web page but you need to go to the Remington web site and search for "SPS Tactical" to find it. Or go to the main page, click Whats new then click Remington Premier Dealer Exclusive Firearms and then click the SPS tactical link.

Mine is in my avatar. It is very light (compared to my ex- RRA LAR-8 and the stock flexes but it is useable.

Last weekend, my best group of 5 shots at 100 yards can be covered by a dime. (Using a bipod and read sock) I am still working on my 'form' and waiting for a Manners stock, and then we'll see how she does.

I really like the 700P LTR but could not find one.</div></div>

Thtanks man.