• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What do you think of the SR-25?

lj_1187

Private
Minuteman
Mar 8, 2012
Amarillo, TX
What are your thoughts on the latest offerings from KAC in the SR-25 area with special regard to the EMC? I am eyeing up the new ECC, and while the price is high, I have no problem getting what I pay for if it is worth it. I am looking for a very accurate, dead nuts reliable, semi auto 308 that I will most likely be putting a Leupold MK6 on when they are released and plan to use it from 25-800ish yards. Previously I owned an MWS and loved it for more of a precision weapon, but I am looking for something a bit lighter that I can always depend on. I already have lots of pmags, so I do not want to switch to SCAR or HK mags.

I have read lots of great things about EMCs, but some say it doesnt stack to up offerings from larue in regards to reliablity in harsh conditions with different types of ammo, and accuracy. The new PredatOBR looks nice.

What are your thought?

Re: What do you think of the SR-25?

I have never owned either, but a very close acquaintance has had a few versions.

IMO, I would run a Super SASS before a SR25 for pure accuracy. The SR25 is a lot of $$ to get a name. Any of quite a few custom builders or factory rifles will shoot better for MUCH less $$.

If you're already staked up on Pmags, I would either have a Gap built, or buy the new Armalite Super SASS that takes Pmags.

They shoot and function as well as any other 'best quality' offering, but they cost (new) about double. Gently used they are slightly more than a new competitive 'best quality' offering. They also rely on proprietary parts and tools to work on them - which can be very expensive.

I've had GAP in the past but I bought a KAC used this time. I have shot it out to 1,100 yards - shoots very well. Although I am not impressed with the trigger.

End of the day I think you get more bang for the buck with a GAP. The other I would take a very long look at is Noveske. The mag cost? Yeah, but I have more confidence in the Armalite mags over time than I do in the MagPuls. Folks will say yeah, but the MP mags are cheap - sure until will have a ban on high cap mags if Barry wins. The cost of a KAC mag is unreal - regardless of increased OAL.

Good luck

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lj_1187</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What are your thoughts on the latest offerings from KAC in the SR-25 area with special regard to the EMC? I am eyeing up the new ECC, and while the price is high, I have no problem getting what I pay for if it is worth it. I am looking for a very accurate, dead nuts reliable, semi auto 308 that I will most likely be putting a Leupold MK6 on when they are released and plan to use it from 25-800ish yards. Previously I owned an MWS and loved it for more of a precision weapon, but I am looking for something a bit lighter that I can always depend on. I already have lots of pmags, so I do not want to switch to SCAR or HK mags.

I have read lots of great things about EMCs, but some say it doesnt stack to up offerings from larue in regards to reliablity in harsh conditions with different types of ammo, and accuracy. The new PredatOBR looks nice.

What are your thought? </div></div>

An friend mine recently bought a SR-25 EMC and he loves it. He used to be a KAC hater until he went to flight school and messed with one at the range.

However I would look into the the new "light" MWS that LMT is offering. I believe it is only slightly heavier than the EMC.

You could also have a smith flute or dimple a MWS barrel to lighten it up and skeleton the upper to loose some weight.

I recently bought an EMC and could not be happier. After 300 rounds of FGMM 175gr it has been reliable and very accurate, and I don't feel like I am giving up anything in the accuracy department to my semi-custom Remington 700. I farthest I have shot it so far was 776m in pretty windy conditions. I plan on using a Leupold Mark 6 3-18x scope when they are released and putting the 6.5-20x back on my 338LM. Some photos:

emc10.jpg

emc9.jpg

emc776.jpg

emc8-1.jpg

The EMC is the tits... They cost a chunk of change but they perform.

I have a OBR and if the predator OBR shoots half as good I'd advise going that route.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EricCartmann</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Overpriced</div></div>

^^^This, when you consider the same or better accuracy can be had at nearly HALF the cost of the SR-25.

Buy a GAP-10 and with the money you have left you can invest in a nice optic, all for what you'd have given for the SR-25.

More reliable and accurate than anything else out there, custom or otherwise.

People envy what they can't have.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Marcus85</div><div class="ubbcode-body">More reliable and accurate than anything else out there, custom or otherwise.

People envy what they can't have. </div></div>

Is that the angle you're going with? Because, I've gotta let you in on a little something — you're delusional.

People will say whatever they must in order to make themselves feel better about over paying. I have $8,000 invested in my POF (so far) so my not having an SR-25 has <span style="font-style: italic"><span style="text-decoration: underline">NOTHING</span></span> to do with not being 'able' to have it but <span style="font-style: italic"><span style="text-decoration: underline">EVERYTHING</span></span> to do with not wanting it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Marcus85</div><div class="ubbcode-body">More reliable and accurate than anything else out there, custom or otherwise.

How is it more reliable? and how is it more accurate? Please discuss.

I'm very concerned with accuracy, but I am more interested in something that can withstand a beating in the harshest conditions and keep going. I wont really be using it as a dedicated precision weapon, but more of a "battle" rifle that I can blast and hit those targets out to 800m or so when I need to taking my time.

KILLSHOT - You need to clear out your PM Box. It's full and I can't give you shit!!!!!!!!! :)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Conrad101st</div><div class="ubbcode-body">KILLSHOT - You need to clear out your PM Box. It's full and I can't give you shit!!!!!!!!! :)

</div></div>

Ten four...inbox cleaned out. LoL

I'd buy one if I were able to shit money but until that time comes it's not for me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lj_1187</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm very concerned with accuracy, but I am more interested in something that can withstand a beating in the harshest conditions and keep going.</div></div>

Alright I'll bite; what sort of harsh conditions are we talking here?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BCP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd buy one if I were able to shit money but until that time comes it's not for me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lj_1187</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm very concerned with accuracy, but I am more interested in something that can withstand a beating in the harshest conditions and keep going.</div></div>

Alright I'll bite; what sort of harsh conditions are we talking here?

</div></div>

Nothing specific, but I would like a setup that can go through tens of thousands of rounds in hot, cold, dusty climates and not fail.

Mine likes to hang out on my poncho liner. LOL. If I could only keep one .308, the EMC would be it.

DSC_0183.jpg

DSC_00101.jpg

DSC_0482.jpg

DSC_0473.jpg

For $3500 KAC can't even put a decent pistol grip and stock on it. I wonder what the trigger is like... probably plain jane USGI too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KillShot</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Marcus85</div><div class="ubbcode-body">More reliable and accurate than anything else out there, custom or otherwise.

Is that the angle you're going with? Because, I've gotta let you in on a little something — you're delusional.

People will say whatever they must in order to make themselves feel better about over paying. <span style="color: #FF0000">I have $8,000 invested in my POF (so far) </span>so my not having an SR-25 has <span style="font-style: italic"><span style="text-decoration: underline">NOTHING</span></span> to do with not being 'able' to have it but <span style="font-style: italic"><span style="text-decoration: underline">EVERYTHING</span></span> to do with not wanting it. </div></div>

Damn!! You bought yours from the wrong place! I have about $5500 in mine and that's including scope and silencer.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Marcus85</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Look at how beautiful they are.

DSC00102.jpg
</div></div>

I cant wait to waste my money on one of these! I have yet to see a manufacturer besides KAC that can have the picattiny rail slots on a forearm to upper reciever be timed on the top like a monolithic. They all have some unusable sections at the juncture including the high price LWRC and JPs or if you have a POF or Gap you have a three peice system to make up for it. Is that worth the cost? Hell yea! and that is just one feature. Groups are just one aspect, hell a 1200 DPMS can group, why did you buy a POF or a Gap?

I will never own anything Knights Armament after witnessing so many MK 11s fail my platoon in combat. Mine jammed in 4 seperate firefights. Dont know if this weapon system is any better, but because of my experiences, I will never put my own money towards this company.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rogers0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I will never own anything Knights Armament after witnessing so many MK 11s fail my platoon in combat. Mine jammed in 4 seperate firefights. Dont know if this weapon system is any better, but because of my experiences, I will never put my own money towards this company. </div></div>

Would you mind further sharing specifically what other failures your platoon experienced

Was it the Mod 1's or M110's?
Suppressed?

Thanks

You are going to get all kinds of opinions, I prefer my Scar 17H and DPMS 308 over the SR25, I would not own one. others love them.

Bottom line if you are not taking it to combat and shooting 100's of rounds through it in a firefight then don't worry it will work fine for you.

If you have money to burn, look at the Scar, and soon when the Scar L comes out or the barrel is available, you can upgrade from a 16" barrel to a 20, reality is the 16 will do fine I shoot it out to 800 meters easy.

on the cheap I have a DPMS AR 308, that out shoots all of my Gas guns so look around, find one you like. And give it a run.

My POF shot grate as well but not as accurate as my DPMS

IMG_0001-5.jpg

IMG_0028.jpg

my DPMS
P1320627.jpg

I have seen them, and they are very nice, but they aren't worth the money in my eyes. I would rather have 2 OBR's or 3 GAP-10's for that price. According to Sniper magazine, at the last international sniper competition 26 of the rifles were OBR's and 26 were M110's. I find it telling that they equaled the amount of issued rifles at the competition.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lj_1187</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Nothing specific, but I would like a setup that can go through tens of thousands of rounds in hot, cold, dusty climates and not fail. </div></div>

I don't know of any rifles like that but I do know of plenty that will give you years and years of reliable service as long as you keep them clean/lubed/good ammo/good magazines.

My preference is to build my own but if you want factory look at Larue OBR, GAP 10, LMT MWS, POF 16".

I have heard several stories of the mk11 failing in combat. I'm more interested in a comparison with the EMC because from what I hear these are much more reliable than their mk11 counterparts.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lj_1187</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have heard several stories of the mk11 failing in combat. I'm more interested in a comparison with the EMC because from what I hear these are much more reliable than their mk11 counterparts. </div></div>

From what I understand the EMC was designed to run more effeciently while suppressed than previous models.

Granted, this MK11 Mod 1 and EMC are not fired under combat conditions/environment, however they have run flawless so far.

DSC_0558-2.jpg

^^^That's so f**king sick^^^ lots on money:)

Lots of KAC negativity around here, not sure why that is. KAC's asking price of the new SR25 rifles is definitely high as balls on a giraffe, but does that mean they are any less badass?....not in my book.

I'd assume the new SR25 rifles are every bit as reliable as the LMT MWS rifles, and that is pretty much 100%.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rogers0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I will never own anything Knights Armament after witnessing so many MK 11s fail my platoon in combat. Mine jammed in 4 seperate firefights. Dont know if this weapon system is any better, but because of my experiences, I will never put my own money towards this company. </div></div>
Just curious, Do you remember how many rounds/mags you went through before the malfunctions started?

The new KAC guns have outstanding reliability. Most comments I have seen or heard about reliability pertain to older guns from 15+ years ago when no one else was/ could make a 308 semi. KAC has done constant R&D and PIP since the first SR-25s.

Nowadays, you have lots of options - which is awesome for 308 gas gun fans, you can find something to meet your needs/ budget. For me accuracy and reliability are important - so I choose KAC. Having just completed the MD SPR/DMR class and Precision Rifle #1 with an ECC without cleaning it - I am very pleased. Fast up close, and deadly on steel out to 920 meters.

All I have to say is BEWARE what kind of ammo you stock up on, mine would not cycle at all with southwest run n gun or standard, or FGMM. My scar shoots all of these reliably at a little less than 1 MOA. I never tried to put pmc or prvi in my emc when I had it.

*ETA: It did cycle with black hills red box 308, but ONLY with that ammo.

I have a friend who had an early one, and a Swarovski range finder. After about 2 years he sold it. I asked why, and he said that once he got the trajectory dope all worked out, it was boring because it was simply too easy to hit with it.

He lived and hunted in the S.E. Oregon high desert country and was extremely hard on firearms and vehicles, but he said the SR25 he had was flawless, easy to hit with, never malfunctioned. So he went on to black powder cartridge 1000 yard cowboy shooting. He said it is much harder to hit with those rifles at 1000 yards.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Unknown</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a friend who had an early one, and a Swarovski range finder. After about 2 years he sold it. I asked why, and he said that once he got the trajectory dope all worked out, it was boring because it was simply too easy to hit with it.

He lived and hunted in the S.E. Oregon high desert country and was extremely hard on firearms and vehicles, but he said the SR25 he had was flawless, easy to hit with, never malfunctioned. So he went on to black powder cartridge 1000 yard cowboy shooting. He said it is much harder to hit with those rifles at 1000 yards.</div></div>

I don't doubt what YOU say is true but as for your buddy, I'm calling <span style="font-style: italic"><span style="text-decoration: underline">bullshit</span></span> because I'm sure he is the FIRST guy in the history of firearms who sold his rifle as a result of it being boring to shoot because it was <span style="font-style: italic">'too accurate'</span>.

<span style="font-style: italic">What a crock of shit!</span>

I wonder what the <span style="font-style: italic">real</span> reason was and it possibly could've been that he couldn't hit shit with it because everyone knows a semi-auto is an entirely different animal than a bolt gun.

KAC makes nice rifles, no doubt, and they will drive tacks for certain...if the nut behind the trigger knows what he's doing. I don't dispute the reliability or accuracy. I just think the price is outrageous but...hey, if it's what you want to spend your bankroll on, have fun with it.

Honestly, the EMC it a very well designed/executed AR platform. KAC has a ton of experience manufacturing AR's, and it shows on the EMC. I wouldn't be interested in the EMR, there are a couple of other .308 rifles that I would look at 1st, if I wanted a 20", long range rifle. But for a carbine, the EMC is tough nuts to beat.

Why?
Lighter than a 16"CL LMT MWSE/F or LaRue OBR.
Set up ready to go for a suppressor, integral BUIS, QD points everywhere.
Ambi safety/selector, ready to go.

I'm going to keep mine as light as possible, prob. never have a bipod on it, may put on a green laser, that's it. Went with a US Optics SN-4, 1.5-6x, illum. JNG reticle.

If the price point isn't worth it to you, there are other really nice carbines/rifles out there. The LMT can be yours for around $2500. There is little practical accuracy diff. between the LMT MWS/KAC EMC. Carry the LMT around all day, then get back with me.

Open an EMC up and look at the finish of the internals. 1st rate work. You'll pay more up front, you will get it back if you ever sell it.

It's very easy to have waaay more than $4k in ANY of these rifles.

Good luck.

Heres what Ive seen...the MK11s we had in the platoon (and Ive had 2 seperate sets for 2 different workups and deployments) work fine if you are laying in the prone, shooting a few rounds. But the second you bring them out in real field conditions, or a mission, they fail. Ive seen ones with less then 1000 rounds fail. Suppressed and unsuppressed. We have the new SASSs in my current unit, and I havent had a chance to shoot them yet, my experiences are built solely around the MK11.

Honestly, the absolute best we could ever get the MK 11 to shoot was slightly above 1 moa. Most hold around 1.5 moa. There is alot better shit that you can spend your money on, I dont see why anyone would waste their time with a platform that is not very accurate, and reliability is aweful.

I am not lying when I say that mine jammed in 4 seperate firefights. I keep my weapons clean. All of our platoon snipers had similar experiences. I think out of 8 MK11s in my last platoon, 1 or 2 did not have problems. Every other one did. Talking to my buddies in other sniper platoons, they said the same exact thing.

Unfortunately, the MK11 was our only semi auto "sniper" weapons system. Still, I only carried it when I absolutely needed to, every other time I carried my m40a5 t boned on my ruck and patrolled to my hide with my m4.

I dont have any experience with any of Knights other platforms, but because of my experiences, I will not spend my own money on anything Knights Armament.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KillShot</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Unknown</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a friend who had an early one, and a Swarovski range finder. After about 2 years he sold it. I asked why, and he said that once he got the trajectory dope all worked out, it was boring because it was simply too easy to hit with it.

He lived and hunted in the S.E. Oregon high desert country and was extremely hard on firearms and vehicles, but he said the SR25 he had was flawless, easy to hit with, never malfunctioned. So he went on to black powder cartridge 1000 yard cowboy shooting. He said it is much harder to hit with those rifles at 1000 yards.</div></div>

I don't doubt what YOU say is true but as for your buddy, I'm calling <span style="font-style: italic"><span style="text-decoration: underline">bullshit</span></span> because I'm sure he is the FIRST guy in the history of firearms who sold his rifle as a result of it being boring to shoot because it was <span style="font-style: italic">'too accurate'</span>.

<span style="font-style: italic">What a crock of shit!</span>

I wonder what the <span style="font-style: italic">real</span> reason was and it possibly could've been that he couldn't hit shit with it because everyone knows a semi-auto is an entirely different animal than a bolt gun.

KAC makes nice rifles, no doubt, and they will drive tacks for certain...if the nut behind the trigger knows what he's doing. I don't dispute the reliability or accuracy. I just think the price is outrageous but...hey, if it's what you want to spend your bankroll on, have fun with it. </div></div>

He never said it was "too accurate", I said he got tired of it because it was too easy for him to hit with it, and there is a huge difference in those two things. Once he figured out all the elevation dope, it just wasn't amusing for him any more, so he sold it. Between the rifles consistency, and his Swarovski range finder, getting the elevation wasn't a challenge for him.

But then he lived in an in a house where he could shoot out to 1500 yards any time he wanted to. He just got bored with the setup.

In my humble opinion, no rifle is "too accurate". But I have also gotten bored with plenty of rifles and swapped or sold them.

What size targets did your friend become bored with at 1500yds. I assume he became bored due to hitting this target at will and on demand so consistently that it no longer was a challenge. You are talking about a 308 are you not? Wow, that guy must be quite the man. Hmmm, I had rather think that either your friend has an overactive imagination or you came up with this BS story yourself. Either way one of you are FOS.

Gentlemen, lets keep this on topic please. Anyone else have experience or know someone who has an EMC that can help me out? Thanks for all the advice and opinions so far!

The reliability problems with the EMC were associated with the surplus ammo (not US made). I believe the ECC has a larger gas port which should solve those problems.

Many people are not reading what I posted carefully, and are reading things into the posting that I did not post, nor intend.

I said my friend had a house where he could shoot out to 1500 yards, I never claimed that his SR25 would go that far. At the 1500 yards (5900 ft elevation) he used his 30 cal RUM, and later his black powder cartridge rifle. Most folks here know that the 308 is only good out to 800-1100 yards depending on load, meteorological and environmental factors. At least that is about all I can get out of the two I own.

I said he got bored with the SR25, and went on to cowboy black powder cartridge rifles (Sharps) at 1000 yards. I never said he shot the SR25 at 1000 yards. He did say it was harder to hit at 1000 yards with the black powder cartridge rifle than with modern rifles.

His target was a full sized steel IPSC type target about 18x24 inches with a 6x6 inch head centered on the top. As he owned all the property out to the gate, he would simply drive the target out to where he wanted it, set it up, then go back to his house and shoot at it. Like most country roads, there were twists and turns, and changes in elevation, so he would have to place the target wherever he could see it from the top of his house. Then he would use the laser to range it, then shoot at it.

I understand that some people mis-interpret postings, and read things into them that weren't written. That is human enough, but we would probably be better served by not drifting too far from what the OP wanted discussed.

The EMC came out of a government program we designated the M110K1 Carbine.

The gun was designed to run high volume of suppressed fire in M118LR and M80 ball.

We opened the gas port slightly to allow for lower pressure ammo to run unsuppressed more reliably -- without sacrificing parts life or reliably suppressed.

USMC Mk11 Mod1's where a DOG - the USMC modified all their bolts, and as a result they shave brass and cause other issues -- this was a result of poor communication on both ends. At the end of the day it is our gun so we wear that stigma, and an issue I and others have vowed we will never let happen again.

Frankly as a civilian, if your looking for true accuracy and will not be shooting thousands of rounds suppressed on an Afghan ridgeline, well your likley better served by a different gun.

We at KAC take it in the back regardless of option we follow -- either we don't offer a government product commercially and take flack for that, or the commercial products are 'over priced'.

This year we offered 4 commercial SR-25 models to try and give folks some of everything.
We've learned a lot of building government guns, and all of the feedback we get as long as its clearly articulated allows us to build a better gun for the next requirement.

The first operational use of SR-25's was Somalia in 1992/93.
Folks still use KAC guns, so somewhere there has to be a clue that we are doing something right.

As I have said in other threads of this sort, Ive owned most of them but the EMC is the one that remains in my safe! For ME I have found it to be the best......

emc-scar.jpg

Thanks for the info Kevin. Can you give us any info on the 762 QDC suppressor on a 16" 762 like an EMC or ECC? -30 advertised dB reduction with it's size and weight look promising...

This past weekend we were shooting two SR-25's and one OBR. I favored the OBR slightly. This was probably do to the OBR having a surefire brake on it. The SR-25's were naked to allow for the suppressor. I had zero problems clover leafing with the SR-25 at 100 yards. I had zero problems taking out the steel gong at 400 yards rapid fire.

Both weapon systems ran scary accurate with FGMM and BH Match 175 grain ammo. In fact I was so impressed with the OBR I may decide to get it over the AIAE. That’s not a dig at the SR-25 at all.

That said I still need to get my mitts on a GAP-10 and AIAE before I make my final decision.

At the end of the day try getting your hands on different weapon systems before you purchase.

I don’t care for politics and bullshit, put a gun in my hands and I’ll tell you if I like it…

Shooting a firearm is much like test driving an auto. I think it is odd that we usually wouldn't think of buying an auto without a test drive, but many here don't give a second thought to spending over $3000 for a model of a rifle they have never fired before. I think very highly of any manufacturer that allows a test firing. That shows confidence in their product (or stupidity if it doesn't work properly).