• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What do you think of this build?

lostriverproductions

Private
Minuteman
Jun 4, 2009
Three Rivers MI
Model 700 action 30" stainless McGowen Precision barrel chambered in 7mm STW fitted in a BC varmit vertical grip stock. Goint to have action and barrel black teflon coated. Not sure what scope yet. Need something good for 800 yard maybe 1000. I have a budget of 500 for score base and rings. Should ass will be used for hunting and paper punchin

Re: What do you think of this build?

I think that cartridge is overkill for what you're looking at doing with it.

The barrel is almost as disposable as brass/bullets with that round, unless you'r shooting 50% again on those distances you can easily do very well with a host of other, smaller capacity 7mm's.

The STW ballistics are incredibly impressive, just be ready to throw that barrel out in 1000 rounds or less.

Re: What do you think of this build?

If you have the action already for it that's a good reason, although I think you might be able to get a wonderful long range rifle without having to use the STW.

I'm pretty sure that the action uses the standard bolt face for mag rounds (.532) and that's common to the 404 Jeffreys case head.

This means that any of the SAUM or WSM rounds (or RUM) will work in it, and you gain some capability in them by having the length to load the bullets very long. The 7mm WSM or 7mm/300W WSM are both fantastic long range rounds.

The 7/300 is supposed to have a little better barrel life than the straight 7 WSM because the neck is longer, and good brass is a little easier to find in 300 WSM over the 7 WSM. PTG keeps a print of the reamer on hand, they might even have a pre-ground reamer done.

The 180 Bergers or 180 JLK's would be absolutely awesome loaded long in a short mag like this.

You should see double or more the barrel life on the STW.

I think the short mags are going to make you a very happy camper, there's several people on this board that have shot them to a mile successfully. I have a 7 SAUM that I'm itching to get stretched out a little more.

Don't let me disuade you from having an STW, I think it's an absolutely awesome round, right up there with a 7 RUM but I'm not keen on replacing a barrel inside of 1000 rounds.