• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Advanced Marksmanship What do you use when you shoot?

reewik

Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Jun 8, 2009
    La Vergne, TN
    I am shooting off a table( at the range) not by choice and I have been shooting off a tripod and holding the rear with my non shooting hand. Yesterday I tried a sock bag I made. I improved my 200 yard group some and shot a 1.64" (5 shot) group. Before this my personal best was a 4 shot 200 yard group ( ran out of rounds) of 1.73". I am pretty confident with my cheek weld position, I am not happy with my trigger hand, It is just not comfortable on this hogue overmold stock. (I just do not have the cash for a new one at the moment.)

I personally do not like the bench shooter concept. I like to shoot like the military does and some research has made me understand they use the same rear assist I just made. Please enlighten me anyway you can with the way you shoot, support ( other then a rest) so on and so forth.

I am still working on tightening my groups.... I am under 1moa so I am happy with that so far.

Re: What do you use when you shoot?

We tend to use sand socks, rolled up skivvy shirts, and me personally i like shooting off my ruck as to someother guys who like shooting off their bipods. We have even been known to used some crazy looking positions to get our off hand arm under the butthook on the A4 stock. We also use some shooting sticks, go to lowes/home depot and get some 3 1/2 foot dowel rods, paint em up bungee them together and you have an adjustable tripod for about 12 bucks. Hope this helps some

the skill set enjoyed whilst shooting from the bench are never employed in the field.....

Sign up for the online training if you can. Everything you'd want to know is covered, and I hear a lot of great feedback from the users.

Thanks guys, keep em coming...

The sand sock is basically what I made. i made it using beans so the sand will not end up in my bag but gives somewhat the same effect, steadies the gun.

Anyone try putting the white small foam shipping mess? Looks like it would work well in a sock. Any thoughts?

the best thing that we put in sand socks was the little airsoft bbs or the stuffed animal like nylon pellets. Those seem to work the best, wont swell when they get wet are pretty cheap.

reewik,

For reload development:

Sitting, a benchrest (Armor Metal Products), bench rest stand (Freeland Supreme), rear rabbit ear sandbag, spotting scope, and Pact Chrono.

After load evaluation or when shooting factory ammo, to determine comeups:

Prone: 1" shooting mat, bipod (either Harris S 6-9 or Atlas), rear sock, and spotting scope.

Bob

IMG_1359.jpg

It worked for him.

for sighting in front rest is a homemade gizmo made from a truck brake rotor, a large threaded stud with nuts (for adjustment) with a "v" welded on top with rubber glued to it.

back rest is the rabbit ear style bag filled with sand

for screwing around, harris bipod in front, and either my hand / thumb lying flat between the rear of the stock and ground, the rabbit ear bag, or a ziplock with airsoft bb's or cracked corn / dried peas in it for the back.

fro more serious hunting, accupod, rucksack, or the ziploc depending on how high i have to go

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TCA4570</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
    IMG_1359.jpg

It worked for him. </div></div>

WTF is that?

I shoot prone supported using my harris bi-pod and usually my carhart jacket rolled up under the rear of the rifle. Works pretty well for me.

I made my rear bag from tumbler corn cob media inside a womans nylon then into a standard sock. Works very good.

It was the quickest thing to shoot with.
    That little guy was strutting into the zone!

I have some of the caldwell bags.
    We stuff the un with corn or birdseed.
    When sombody puts a hole in it just dump, and take home.

Back bag is med Caldwell. (factory stuffing)

Just got back. I would say the rice is a little bit tuff. It does not compact as nice but i like it better than what I am currently using. I shot a 3 round group of .21 " (center to center) @ 200 yards today. ( Yes, this is my current best)I loaded a 168 SMK with 42 grains of IMR 4064 in LC brass and a LR Win Primer.
    I was then shooting 1 shot dots at 200 and was able to hit all 2" dots in the 1" center except the cold bore which was on the edge of 2". To say the least I was happy.

I use 2 bags usually since I'm load testing.

Front high bag.. rear squeeze bag.

When the load is done then I use only a bipod to see how good i actualy am

What kind of groups do you get with just bipod on a bench? Thats all I ever use. I figure if shit hit the fan the bipod is on the gun and would not want to look for any bags to take along or use in a moments notice. What kind of improvement of shotgroups will using bags make?