• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What does ELR / long range with 22lr translate to?

SkepticalTiger

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Feb 5, 2022
Austin,TX
I've been having a blast using relatively cheap setups and ammo to reach out to 600 yards with 22lr. Slowly getting better at making wind calls, seeing wind waves at range and slowly but surely the bullet traveling through the air alongside the other fundamentals.

This is with a scope and soon irons sights. My question is, I do notice this makes shooting larger calibers at these distances much much easier. What I'm curious from other experienced shooters is what else does me doing this translate to? How much will this help me as I take bigger calibers in 6mm and 30 cal out to distances of up to 2000 yards?

100 yards = 500 yards (roughly )

200 yards = 1000

400 yards = 1 Mile
What’s the specifics of this? Meaning does 22LR/40/1080=308/175/2600? What’s the 22 compared to?

What’s the specifics of this? Meaning does 22LR/40/1080=308/175/2600? What’s the 22 compared to?
I said it
1653257987838.png

Appreciate the response. Insightful. 🙄

I’m pretty sure he’s just giving rough equivalent ranges between rimfire and high power.

Even a guy as pedantic and always asking “why” like me sort of got it. Haha

Of course I could be wrong! Lol

Last edited:
I’m pretty sure he’s just giving rough equivalent ranges between rimfire and high power.

Even a guy as pedantic and always asking “why” sort of got it

Of course I could be wrong! Lol
That makes sense and that is what I was looking for. Since the OP mentioned 6mm and 30, I was wondering if there was a closer relationship with the 22 LR with one or the other. Thanks.

Reactions: Baron23
Just plug in data in your solver for your .22 and a larger cartridge. Then compare.

That’ll get you as close as you can. Then it’s much more specific and subjective.

For example, people typically perform much better in prs 22 than centerfire. Wind is easier to read inside the 300yds that most of the marches are at. And almost no recoil allows even more free recoiling and still see what’s going on than a 6mm centerfire does. Making it faster to get into positions as well as not pay a price for not so great positions.

There are obviously some exceptions with the very top national level Rimfire shooters. But for most everyone else, there’s a big difference between their Rimfire and centerfire.

So, all of that has to be taken into account for a proper comparison.

Reactions: todd
That makes sense and that is what I was looking for. Since the OP mentioned 6mm and 30, I was wondering if there was a closer relationship with the 22 LR with one or the other. Thanks.
Drop data for a off the shelf 22LR with $10/box match ammo...looks something like this.

400yd is 21 mil
300yd is 14 mil
200yd is 7 mil
100yd is 2 mil

You can equate this to your preferred dope for centrefire loads.

Reactions: lash
A .22 is a 1/4 scale but since we are tick faster than we used too be, it's more of a 20% vs 25%

So that means if you zero at 25 yard vs 100, you will see it scale as it was originally designed vs a centerfire

The dope above changes the 100 to 400 vs 500 which is close to right, so it's out was always around 450.

400, 1000, 1 mile ... but like was noted, look at your DOPE (Duh) it roughly similar at these distances

Just like Mils equal every 10 yard, and MOA equals every 25 yards, these things were designed to be much more intuitive than we make them. So if you have a target at 450 yards, you would add .5 Mils or 2 MOA as that lines up... the wildcats and changes in bullets and powders just mixed it all up.

It's 10 yards between 0 to 100, so Mils is base 10, .1 x 10 = 100
MOA is 25 yard, so 4 x 25 = 100, 4 MOA between 100 yards

Our cartridges are just faster than they used to be so the numbers are like .2 off here and there

Reactions: ma smith
Also remember with a 22LR, even if you can shoot those distances, shoot the ammo the rifle likes and have a gun capable at 150-250+, the ammo is going to be what fucks you regardless of what you do.

Even the best Lapua ammo I've been able to find for my custom Lilja barrel has enough velocity spread in it to make you shoot high/low directly above/below your target that it will take a 'hit' on a 6 inch steel gong and have it impact high/low.

We've talked a lot about this in the rimfire section and have concluded that the best target for the 22LR at distance is basically something skinny yet tall, kind of like a bowling pin. Wind is really the #1 'skill factor'. The velocity spread leaves you with nothing you can do about it to negate it. So having a tall target will show you if your calls were on, yet you were directly above/below as to not make you think you are constantly off.

Just did this with a 6 inch round 22 plate at 275 yesterday. CZ455 with Lilja barrel, Center X (works the best for me) and we had constant 10mph winds where the half value wind coming from our 5 o clock was partly negated by a dead spot halfway and a 8-10mph wind going the opposite way near the target. Literally holding .4MIL in 10-12mph wind with a 22 at 275 is surreal.

We got some hits and some misses where we could hear the thwack of the bullet hitting the large wooden pole the target was hanging off of. We also had a large piece of construction paper stapled to a board behind the steel.

If it wasn't a hit, 95% of the shots were directly above/below the gong within 2-3 inches.

Reactions: Schütze and 6.5SH
8 mils to 1000y for my centerfire. Roughly 8 mils to 200y for my 22LR.
Why are we shooting 22’s past 200 yards in competition anyway? Unless the targets are huge, it’s a low percentage shot. Even then it’s a big IF.
I was at a 22LR match at Altus in FL recently and there was a full size IPSC at around 300 yards and very few impacts on it for the entire match. (I’ll be the grumpy old fudd)

Unless the wind was horrible a full size IPSC is a decent 500 yard target for rimfire. A larger vertical target such as that is what makes it doable.

Ok actually the wind was pretty terrible that day. Either way, I’m not a fan of it, in the same way I’m not a fan of one mile shots in PRS style matches. It falls in the category of “gimmicky” to me. #shrug

It is out there, but after you can regularly hit a bowling pin sized plate at 300 it is addictive fun.
If the conditions never lend themselves to it, yeah I can see it being a demotivator.

I've been having a blast using relatively cheap setups and ammo to reach out to 600 yards with 22lr. Slowly getting better at making wind calls, seeing wind waves at range and slowly but surely the bullet traveling through the air alongside the other fundamentals.

This is with a scope and soon irons sights. My question is, I do notice this makes shooting larger calibers at these distances much much easier. What I'm curious from other experienced shooters is what else does me doing this translate to? How much will this help me as I take bigger calibers in 6mm and 30 cal out to distances of up to 2000 yards?
With the .22 rifle/scope I have, 500 yards is about it because beyond that, my scope elevation turret is out of travel, and it's extremely hard to hold it on a 4 MOA target at that distance. However, shooting the larger center fire calibers (.308, etc) is still easier because they seem to be much more stable at their extreme distances (mile, etc.)

Hitting a full size IPSC at 300 with my 22 is not a big challenge. 2/3 IPSC would be reasonable in a match. 1/3 IPSC would be tough to clean that stage. At 400 things get squirrelly for me unless the target is quite large (24”x24”+).

I dick around an awful lot, and have been shooting 22's to 600, and one day 700, 16 tw barrels, low wind conditions. The more you try, easier it becomes. I can also dial all but 1.4mils of the dope w/o maxing the turret out, big plus. We started out with a 12" circle at 600, big failure, so I picked up 18 & 24" plates, made hitting the 12" that much easier. We used the 24" at 700 and got more hits than I predicted.
So I really cannot make a comparison, face it, at one mile, with centerfire, most of us don't shoot 51" steel, I'd be a fucking rock star if so. I see no fair comparison. If a comparison could be made on totally calm days, enter the wind, how do you scale it down? Hitting a 1.5 moa target at 1K in 10mph winds, not sure a 1.5 moa at 150 is a given with 22LR in 10mph winds.
At the range I frequent, with terrain features, a 15mph wind from either the NW or SE and you are done at 300 yards, and that is shooting 3 moa plate